Preferred installation for production

Annalisa Schiavon
Hi all,
we have a working geonode 2.4 in production on ubuntu 16.04. Now we want to move to 2.8. What is the  preferred  installation method ? New server (always ubuntu 16.04) will going to replace current server.
The old geonode was installed via apt-get :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:geonode/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install geonode

Then I had installed geonode-project for a few changes in logos, colors and so on:

django-admin startproject geoportale20 --template=https://github.com/GeoNode/geonode-project/archive/master.zip -epy,rst
sudo pip install -e geoportale20

Now I can install 2.8 version on a clean ubuntu 16.04 with :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:geonode/stable
sudo apt update -y
sudo apt upgrade -y
sudo apt install geonode

??

How do you suggest to install geonode-project ?

I've read of  virtualenv  but I don't have experience on it and I need geonode for production!

Thanks,
Annalisa

Re: Preferred installation for production

Alessio Fabiani-2
Hello Annalisa,
recently the preferred way is to use Docker Compose method.

The setup through ppa can also work but there are currently a couple of things to be aware of:

1. It will install the stable release not the most updated. That means that recent fixes won't be included there

2. Currently the debian package is not able to just "update" the GeoNode packages. It always needs to be installed on a clean Ubuntu machine.

For the reasons above, I would proceed with this method

and of course, when everything has been setup, change the default passwords and put DEBUG = False on settings.

Regards,

Alessio Fabiani

==
==

Ing. Alessio Fabiani

@alfa7691
Founder/Technical Lead

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39 331 6233686

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content, accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

[...]

mentaer

Hi Alessio,

thanks for pointing that out! (we will also install a new version anytime soon - switching from 2.0)

cheers,
Stefan

== GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Alessio Fabiani

[...]

Hi Alessio!
Thank you for the reply!  Now It's more clear to me!

Annalisa