Postgresql/postgis making databases

Kurt Springs
Hi folks,

I have finally gotten postgresql and postgis installed along with
pgadm3 on OS X 10.4.9, which leaves me at the point of "What Now?"

Keep in that my familiarity is with Filemaker and Access, which, I am
sure every one will agree, are fairly "turn key" as the old
expression goes.  Potgresql is another matter.  I need someone's help
get to the next step.  I believe passwords and permissions need to be
sorted out, then In need to create my data bases.  I will need to
create tables, categories, populate the databases, and be able to
edit the information.  Also, I need to be able to move the database
file(s) from my desktop to my laptop.  Step by step instructions
would be best.

I am planning on starting work on my PhD research this summer, and
would like to use postgresql/postgis to create and maintain my
archaeological database.

Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Re: Postgresql/postgis making databases

Jack Varga
Kurt,

You should pick up a good postgresql book.  I recommend "PostgreSQL: A
comprehensive guide to building, programing and administering PostgreSQL
databases," by Korry and Susan Douglas, but I'm sure there are at least
a few others that deserve your attention.  Make sure the revision covers
through PostgreSQL 8.1.  A book like the aforementioned will help you
solve any database issue you may have.

Additionally, the PostGIS documentation will walk you through creating a
spatial database instance, setting up one or more PostGIS user accounts
(and their roles), and installing PostGIS stored procedures, data types,
etc.  Keep in mind that PostGIS is simply an application server built
for PostgreSQL with a back end interface to PostgreSQL and a front side
interface for spatial queries.

I don't agree that either Filemaker or Access are 'turnkey', nor are
they ideal client-server databases or truly relational (varying levels
of support for things like referential integrity, rollback, transaction
processing, data locking, etc).  With PostgreSQL, no longer will you
need to create mirrored copies of your data (one for desktop, another
for laptop, etc), and instead be able to access the data remotely
(assuming the Postgres server is accessible through a network
interface).  Again, the aforementioned text will help you understand the
requirements for configuring PostgreSQL server to work over a network
with any number of interfaces (e.g., ODBC, JDBC, etc.).  Turnkey implies
to me an end-user application ready to solve a problem out of the box, a
POS for example.  None of the above do that, including PostgreSQL,
(unless your needs fit neatly into the 'Northwinds' application).

As a side, if I were going to be using PostgreSQL/PostGIS for
archaeological type applications, the first person I would contact would
be Michael Barton, a lead GRASS developer and Anthropology Professor at
Arizona State University (http://www.public.asu.edu/~cmbarton).  You may
very well even find an existing (object or relational) data model that
fits your needs nicely.

Jack Varga

Kurt Springs wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I have finally gotten postgresql and postgis installed along with
> pgadm3 on OS X 10.4.9, which leaves me at the point of "What Now?"
>
> Keep in that my familiarity is with Filemaker and Access, which, I am
> sure every one will agree, are fairly "turn key" as the old expression
> goes.  Potgresql is another matter.  I need someone's help get to the
> next step.  I believe passwords and permissions need to be sorted out,
> then In need to create my data bases.  I will need to create tables,
> categories, populate the databases, and be able to edit the
> information.  Also, I need to be able to move the database file(s)
> from my desktop to my laptop.  Step by step instructions would be best.
>
> I am planning on starting work on my PhD research this summer, and
> would like to use postgresql/postgis to create and maintain my
> archaeological database.
>
> Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Re: Postgresql/postgis making databases

Matt Wilkie
I've not yet used it with PostGIS, but I found pgAdmin very helpful
for getting at least a little ways past the "now what?" point after
installing postgres.  http://www.pgadmin.org/
Not that I have much of a clue yet, but at least I can create db's and
assign user passwords. :)

cheers,

--
-matt

AW: Postgresql/postgis making databases

Pleyer, Walter

> I've not yet used it with PostGIS, but I found pgAdmin very
> helpful for getting at least a little ways past the "now
> what?" point after installing postgres.
> http://www.pgadmin.org/ Not that I have much of a clue yet,
> but at least I can create db's and assign user passwords. :)
I've used Postgis in a few projects with Qgis but also as datasource fpr
UMN mapserver.
PgAdmin III is good, but never forget, when you use PgAdmin, you use the
postgres-dministrator account.
So when you create a table, it initially belongs to user postgres and is
not visible respectively readable or changeable by other users unless
you change the owner or explicitely givegrant them the according
privileges.
I've spent a lot of time hunting bugs in applications, when all that was
needed were the above mentioned actions.

Walter