PostgreSQL connection in ArcGIS

Hugo Paul-2

Good afternoon

While we are on the FOSS topic, has anyone ever encountered the following?

I have PostgreSQL and PostGIS installed on a PC in my local network environment which serves as a small server. Loading the PostGIS data in QGIS is a breeze, I simply type in the IP address, database name and login details and all my layers are there. In ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 this is not the case, it simply does not want to connect, I’ve tried using the IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, I’ve googled, searched stack exchange, etc. but couldn’t find a helpful answer anywhere, all my settings are correct as per ESRI’s online help manual, but still no luck..

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Kind regards

Hugo

Disclaimer
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) addressed in the message. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, distributing, or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Re: PostgreSQL connection in ArcGIS

Tim Sutton-6
Hi Hugo

I’m not familiar enough with Arc* products to give you advice there, but is the connection from ArcGIS being made from the same host that you tested with QGIS on? If not you might need to check your PostgreSQL configs to ensure that all hosts in your network are allowed to connect.

Regards

Tim

On 2 Sep 2019, at 13:06, Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Good afternoon

While we are on the FOSS topic, has anyone ever encountered the following?

I have PostgreSQL and PostGIS installed on a PC in my local network environment which serves as a small server. Loading the PostGIS data in QGIS is a breeze, I simply type in the IP address, database name and login details and all my layers are there. In ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 this is not the case, it simply does not want to connect, I’ve tried using the IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, I’ve googled, searched stack exchange, etc. but couldn’t find a helpful answer anywhere, all my settings are correct as per ESRI’s online help manual, but still no luck..

Any advice would be appreciated please.

Kind regards
Hugo

<119090214061001545.png>

Disclaimer
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual(s) addressed in the message. If you are not the named addressee, you should not disseminate, distribute, or copy this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, distributing, or copying this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: PostgreSQL connection in ArcGIS

Victoria Rautenbach
Hi Hugo

This topic was discussed recently on the PostGIS user list. You can access the archives here, https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2019-August/thread.html  I have not tested this, but the suggestion was the following, https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/postgis-users/2019-August/043540.html  But I do agree with Tim, QGIS might be a better option.

Regards
Victoria

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 2:06 PM Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the assistance, unfortunately no luck with ArcGIS. But as a result, QGIS has 6 new users. So that is a plus! J

On 4 Sep 2019, at 06:25, Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you all for the assistance, unfortunately no luck with ArcGIS. But as a result, QGIS has 6 new users. So that is a plus! J

Haha lovely!

Regards

Tim

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: PostgreSQL connection in ArcGIS

McBeth, Estelle-2

Does anyone know where I can get property boundaries and clear imagery for the North Eastern areas of Africa? Or software that can extract boundaries from google/bing imagery?

Estelle

Looking earlier on in the thread Victoria posted, it seems ArcGIS doesn’t allow connections to the “postgres" database. That makes sense as that is PostgreSQL’s maintenance database. You should working in another database. In one PostgreSQL cluster you can create as many databases as you want and add PostGIS to them independently if you need it.

On 04 Sep 2019, at 08:37, Tim Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi

On 4 Sep 2019, at 06:25, Hugo Paul <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thank you all for the assistance, unfortunately no luck with ArcGIS. But as a result, QGIS has 6 new users. So that is a plus! J

Haha lovely!

Regards

Tim

NOTICE: This communication and any attachments ("this message") may contain information which is privileged, confidential, proprietary or otherwise subject to restricted disclosure under applicable law. This message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any unauthorized use, disclosure, viewing, copying, alteration, dissemination or distribution of, or reliance on, this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, or you are not an authorized or intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, delete this message and all copies from your e-mail system and destroy any printed copies.

-LAEmHhHzdJzBlTWfa4Hgs7pbKl