PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ruth Simm
Hi,

I'm having a serious data export problem with the PGAdmin widget and pgsql2shp (QGIS too). The problem lies within converting a PostGIS table to shapefile. I put in 3234 feature counts...and I get back 3221.

I get limited information from the error reports (see below...QGIS gives me the most information...but it is minimal). The errors (when available) reference ogr....but not much else. Ironically, the only way I've found to actually export the *full* record set is by using ogr2ogr.

I'm not sure why round-tripping with the PGAdmin tool is failing so bad. It seems to be able to import the initial 3234 - but cannot export the full set.

I do notice the Polygon/Multipolygon converting happening...but seeing that many of the tables "Multipolygons" are just single Polygons added into the Multipolygon bucket...I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Very perplexed. If anybody can pull my dataset and repo this (or tell me how they got around it - using anything BUT ogr2ogr) I'd appreciate it!!!!

Here are my specs:

PostgreSQL 9.2.4 (on a Linux server)
pgsql2shp 2.1.1
PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter (PGAdmin tool)
QGIS 2.6.0 - Brighton (on windows...we've tested using more up-to-date versions too)

Here is the data (2 MB unzipped on a cloud drive).

Here is what I do...

1) Load the shapefile into Postgres using the PGAdmin tool (works fine...notably it is loaded as a MULTIPOLYGON[2] EVEN THOUGH the Shapefile type is Polygon)

3234 record counts

Importing with configuration: as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8, public, geom, H:\as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8.shp, mode=c, dump=1, simple=0, geography=0, index=1, shape=1, srid=4326
Shapefile type: Polygon
PostGIS type: MULTIPOLYGON[2]
Shapefile import completed.
Connecting:  host=pgsqlgis-repos port=5432 user=local-dev password='*********'

2) Try to export the table tp shapefile... (this doesn't work for the following..and notably they are all trying to export it as a Polygon)

UPON Export (using >pgsql2shp)

Initializing...
Done (postgis major version: 2).
Output shape: Polygon
Dumping: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX [3221 rows].

QGIS (Save As in QGIS 2.6.0)

Export to vector file failed.
Error: Feature write errors:
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
Only 3221 of 3234 features written.

Export Using PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter

3221 record counts

Exporting with configuration: as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8, public, as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8
Done (postgis major version: 2)
Output shape: Polygon
Table export completed.

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi Ruth,

I've imported your data from shp to postgis, with ogr2ogr, like this:
ogr2ogr -overwrite -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost user=geobox
dbname=geotuga password=geobox" -a_srs EPSG:4326 -nlt MULTIPOLYGON -nln
usa as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8.shp

Then, I run the following query:

select count(*), st_isvalid(wkb_geometry) from usa
group by st_isvalid(wkb_geometry);

The results is:

  count | st_isvalid
-------+------------
     13 |
   3218 | t
      3 | f

So, I would say that you have invalid geometries that are causing this
problem.

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Jorge

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Hi Ruth,

The records that are missing are the ones with NULL geometry.
You have: 3234 records; 13 don't have geometry = 3221 records with geometry.

Regards,

Jorge

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ruth Simm
Interesting...that seems to add up.

How do you query out NULL geom records though? Since the geom did import (with no NULLS in the initial shapefile) 3234 - I'm not sure how/why the geom was dropped on the export.

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ruth Simm
Jorge-

I ran this on the shapefile once loaded in Postgres, to look at the data:

SELECT gid, iso3, last_updat, area_km, name, ST_AsText(geom)
  FROM as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8
  where name = 'Eastern'
  and geom is NULL;

759;"USA";"2016-11-10";0;"Eastern";""
So...you are definitely right - the export fails because there is null geoms! On import it looks like a record is created leaving the geom null..but after it fails.

Thank you! I'm on the right path because of you!

Ruth

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ruth Simm
Does anyone know If there are NULL geoms in a table (any table - such as the one created by this shapefile) will it invalidate geometry that was valid and present?

Reason I ask is I see missing geometries in my shapefile exports that WERE present in the original shapefile and the PostGIS import. However on export they disappear.

Below is a feature I cannot seem to export to shapefile when I try to round-trip this table...It has geom in PostGIS...however it 'disappears' and cannot be viewed in QGIS on export.

Ex:

SELECT gid, iso3, last_updat, area_km, name, geom
  FROM as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8
  where name = 'Oakland';

3228;"USA";"2016-11-10";0;"Oakland";"0106000020E61000000100000001030000000100000008000000C3F5285C8FEA54C08104C58F3137454032E6AE25E4EB54C03108AC1C5A64454032E6AE25E4EB54C00F0BB5A6796F4540F0164850FCDC54C0E3C798BB9670454066F7E461A1C654C0B6847CD0B3714540F7065F984CC554C029ED0DBE3039454017D9CEF753E3 (...)"

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Informática
Universidade do Minho
4710-057 Braga
Tel: +351 253604480
Fax: +351 253604471
Móvel: +351 910333888
skype: nabocudnosor

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Regina Obe
Ruth,

Following up on Jorge's answer.   I do recall we have some logic with the import and export routines that refuse to import or export invalid geometries.
I think the policy has changed over the years and you're running a fairly old install.

I forget what the condition is, but I know we spent a lot of time discussing it.

So the one you have below that has a geometry, can you check

ST_IsValid(geom)  on the geometry you have below?  If it returns false, then as Jorge mentioned that's the problem.  You could try fixing with ST_MakeValid.

SELECT gid, iso3, last_updat, area_km, name, ST_IsValid(geom)
  FROM as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8
  where name = 'Oakland';

--- Ruth's email --
> [...]

> Export to vector file failed.
> Error: Feature write errors:
> Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not
> imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
> Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not
> imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
> Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not
> imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
> Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not
> imported (OGR error: ) Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: )
> Feature geometry not imported (OGR error: ) *Only 3221 of 3234
> features written.*
>
> Export Using PostGIS 2.0 Shapefile and DBF Loader Exporter
>
> *3221 record counts*
>
> Exporting with configuration: as_clean_test_ogr_export_utf8, public,

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha
Departamento de Inform tica

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Ben Madin-2
FWIW, if you are running

SELECT gid, st_isValid(geom) FROM data;

you might want to try

SELECT gid, st_isValid(geom), st_isValidReason(geom) FROM data;

As someone that gets a lot of rubbish data, st_isvalidreason() is my # 1 favourite function…

cheers

Ben

[...]

m : +61 448 887 220 t : +61 8 9336 5022

e : [hidden email]

10 High Street, Fremantle
Western Australia

find us: http://w3w.co/duke.basket.decks

on the web: www.ausvet.com.au

This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this email are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by Ausvet unless expressly stated otherwise. Although Ausvet uses virus scanning software we do not accept liability for viruses or similar in any attachments. Thanks for reading.

Re: PostGIS export - data is inexplicably truncated from 3234 records to 3221 when using 'pgsql2shp', PGAdmin, AND QGIS 2.6+

Sandro Santilli-4
On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 12:50:24PM +0800, Ben Madin wrote:

> As someone that gets a lot of rubbish data, st_isvalidreason() is my # 1 favourite function…

You shall try ST_IsValidDetail ! :)

--strk;