PostGIS Store disabled on server reboot

chaitanya_ch
Hi,

I'm developing a GeoServer application that connects to a PostGIS database for all the data (Only vector data).
The server is WindowsXP running on VirtualBox. PostgreSQL and GeoServer are running on the WindowsXP machine.

The problem was that my PostGIS store in GeoServer is disabled after every reboot. I had to go to the "Edit Vector Data Source" page and recheck the 'Enabled' checkbox after every reboot.

To overcome this by adding a dependency to the geoserver service in the Windows registry so that it waits for the postgresql database service.
Procedure:
1. Open the registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Geo
Server<version>
2. Right click on it and create a new multi string value. Name it 'DependOnService' without the quotes. It will be of type REG_MULTI_SZ.
3. Modify this to add the name of the database service. In my case, it was 'postgresql-8.4'.
Note: I have to remember to update this when ever there is a change in GeoServer or PostgreSQL installation.

Why is GeoServer disabling the PostGIS store? Does it have to? Couldn't it be a temporary problem if it couldn't connect to the database?

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E

Re: PostGIS Store disabled on server reboot

geowolf
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Chaitanya kumar CH
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a GeoServer application that connects to a PostGIS database
> for all the data (Only vector data).
> The server is WindowsXP running on VirtualBox. PostgreSQL and GeoServer are
> running on the WindowsXP machine.
>
> The problem was that my PostGIS store in GeoServer is disabled after every
> reboot. I had to go to the "Edit Vector Data Source" page and recheck the
> 'Enabled' checkbox after every reboot.
>
> To overcome this by adding a dependency to the geoserver service in the
> Windows registry so that it waits for the postgresql database service.
> Procedure:
> 1. Open the registry editor and navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Geo
> Server<version>
> 2. Right click on it and create a new multi string value. Name it
> 'DependOnService' without the quotes. It will be of type REG_MULTI_SZ.
> 3. Modify this to add the name of the database service. In my case, it was
> 'postgresql-8.4'.
> Note: I have to remember to update this when ever there is a change in
> GeoServer or PostgreSQL installation.
>
> Why is GeoServer disabling the PostGIS store? Does it have to? Couldn't it
> be a temporary problem if it couldn't connect to the database?

Because the capabilities generation code would break badly if stores are not
available, making the server unusable for anyone with a standard OGC client.
So the startup code checks if the stores are available, and if not, it
disables them.

There is a plan to make the capabilities code tolerant instead, but it's not
exactly easy, we'd need some sort of "transactional" xml writing that allows
one to roll back an xml portion just written in case a layer throws an exception
mid way during the encoding of its informations, or a verifier that can tell if
a layer is fully encodable before trying to write it out

Technically it is doable, but it's not a trivial piece of work so
we're waiting for
someone to fund it so that we can use work hours instead of spare time (or
waiting for someone with enough spare time and will to do it anyways).

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:      +39 0584 962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Re: PostGIS Store disabled on server reboot

chaitanya_ch
Hi,

In that case, I think it's worth waiting for the local data sources to start before building the capabilities list. You should mention this issue in the docs, probably in the WIndows installer section. (Documentation issue #3450?)

Thanks for your work.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a GeoServer application that connects to a PostGIS database
> for all the data (Only vector data).
> The server is WindowsXP running on VirtualBox. PostgreSQL and GeoServer are
> running on the WindowsXP machine.
>
> The problem was that my PostGIS store in GeoServer is disabled after every
> reboot. I had to go to the "Edit Vector Data Source" page and recheck the
> 'Enabled' checkbox after every reboot.
>
> To overcome this by adding a dependency to the geoserver service in the
> Windows registry so that it waits for the postgresql database service.
> Procedure:
> 1. Open the registry editor and navigate to
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Geo
> Server<version>
> 2. Right click on it and create a new multi string value. Name it
> 'DependOnService' without the quotes. It will be of type REG_MULTI_SZ.
> 3. Modify this to add the name of the database service. In my case, it was
> 'postgresql-8.4'.
> Note: I have to remember to update this when ever there is a change in
> GeoServer or PostgreSQL installation.
>
> Why is GeoServer disabling the PostGIS store? Does it have to? Couldn't it
> be a temporary problem if it couldn't connect to the database?

Because the capabilities generation code would break badly if stores are not
available, making the server unusable for anyone with a standard OGC client.
So the startup code checks if the stores are available, and if not, it
disables them.

There is a plan to make the capabilities code tolerant instead, but it's not
exactly easy, we'd need some sort of "transactional" xml writing that allows
one to roll back an xml portion just written in case a layer throws an exception
mid way during the encoding of its informations, or a verifier that can tell if
a layer is fully encodable before trying to write it out

Technically it is doable, but it's not a trivial piece of work so
we're waiting for
someone to fund it so that we can use work hours instead of spare time (or
waiting for someone with enough spare time and will to do it anyways).

Cheers
Andrea

Ing. Andrea Aime
GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Tech lead

Via Poggio alle Viti 1187
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313">+39 0584 962313
fax:      <a href="tel:%2B39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313">+39 0584 962313

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://geo-solutions.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/GeoSolutionsIT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreaaime
http://twitter.com/geowolf

Chaitanya kumar CH.

+91-9494447584
17.2416N 80.1426E

Re: PostGIS Store disabled on server reboot

geowolf
On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 9:48 AM, Chaitanya kumar CH
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In that case, I think it's worth waiting for the local data sources to start
> before building the capabilities list. You should mention this issue in the
> docs, probably in the WIndows installer section. (Documentation issue
> #3450?)

That is a good idea. Documentation patches welcomed, does not take a developer
to contribute those (and I believe none of the GeoServer core
developers uses windows) ;-)

Cheres