PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

Kathi Schleidt
Hiya,

Looks like there’s a problem with App Schema and PostGIS connections,
each time I restart GeoServer, I get new connections on my PostGIS DB
while the old ones are retained. Interesting is that when one stops
GeoServer on Tomcat, then restarts PostGIS, most of these hanging
connections are reestablished (although GeoServer has yet to be
restarted). The final effect is that after a few GeoServer restarts (btw
– is it now possible to reload App Schema configs without restarting
GeoServer?) all available DB connections are taken by hanging (idle)
connections; nothing works. (can’t quite remember if just restarting
TomCat was enough to get rid of these dead connections, at the end of
the day we just restarted the machine to get rid of them).

I’ve tried to make sense of the behavior based on the number of hanging
connections (my GeoServer has 10 app schema workspaces as well as 5
simple PG connections configured to the same database), but haven’t
managed to get a clear picture of what’s really hanging. However, each
time I restart GeoServer, at least 13 new connections are added (that
don’t go away), a few more come when the application requests data, but
these seem to go away again). A few restarts later everything is locked
down again.

Has anybody observed a similar behavior? Have a solution?

:?

Kathi

DB: PostgreSQL 9.3.16 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc
(Debian 4.7.2-5) 4.7.2, 64-bit

GeoServer: 2.10.2

Debian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)

Katharina Schleidt
Tel: +43 (1) 89 234 26
Mobile: +43 (650) 89 234 26
Skype: Kathi Schleidt
[hidden email]
www.schleidt.org/kathi

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it  - Albert Einstein

Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell – Edward Abbey

If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it - Albert Einstein

Re: PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

Nuno Oliveira-3
Hi,

You can reload app-schema mappings by reloading GeoServer configuration, this can be done through GeoServer UI in the "Server Status" page:

Configuration and catalog reload option:

Another option if you don't want to reload everything is to open your app-schema store for edition and save it, this will force the reload of the mappings.

Regarding the hanging connections, if app-schema is the only thing in your GeoServer (and in your tomcat) connecting to PostGIS this means that indeed something in app-schema is keeping the connections alive (probably a connection pool).

If you don't get any more feedback on this I would open an issue describing how to reproduce this.

Regards,

Nuno Oliveira

--
==
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information.

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy

phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:   +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

AVVERTENZE AI SENSI DEL D.Lgs. 196/2003
Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e/o nel/i file/s allegato/i sono
da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per le finalità indicate
nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceviate questo messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di darcene notizia via e
-mail e di procedere alla distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo dal Vostro sistema. Conservare il messaggio stesso, divulgarlo
anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo, od utilizzarlo per finalità diverse, costituisce comportamento contrario ai
principi dettati dal D.Lgs. 196/2003.

The information in this message and/or attachments, is intended solely for the attention and use of
the named addressee(s) and may be confidential or proprietary in nature or covered by the provisions of privacy act (Legislative Decree
June, 30 2003, no.196 - Italy's New Data Protection Code).Any use not in accord with its purpose, any disclosure, reproduction, copying,
distribution, or either dissemination, either whole or partial, is strictly forbidden except previous formal approval of the named
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact immediately the sender by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the
information in this message that has been received in error. The sender does not give any warranty or accept liability as the content,
accuracy or completeness of sent messages and accepts no responsibility  for changes made after they were sent or for other risks which
arise as a result of e-mail transmission, viruses, etc.

Re: PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

Ben Caradoc-Davies-2
Kathi,

are you using JNDI? Do you have a firewall between GeoServer and PostGIS?

In a simple app-schema configuration, each data source has its own
connection pool, and they are not very configurable. Have you considered
using JNDI? This allows connection sharing between data sources, more
configurability, and allows you to set parameters to shut down idle
connections to protect against firewall problems:
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/data/app-schema/data-stores.html#jndi
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/tutorials/tomcat-jndi/tomcat-jndi.html#configuring-a-postgresql-connection-pool

Kind regards,
Ben.

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director

Re: PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

Mauro Bartolomeoli-2
Hi,
I have also experienced some connection leak in the app-schema code. Unfortunately I didn't have time to prepare a full fix for this issue, but I can share my (partial) work.

If anyone has time to investigate further, this is my experience:
 - in case of exceptions some connection can be leaked: I have an (hacked) fix here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/7b928274286d4bb7286d9bc8f0e7fe611391785f
 - also, in case many joins are used in a schema, many connections can be created by a single wfs query, because no shared transaction is used, and this limits the concurrency of app-schema usage heavily, and with connection leaks, can lead to the connection pool becoming unusable; I have an hacked fix also for this. Look here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/8098a1753f519d9a57a0642f9ff31d1795f81a4a and here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/fc14bf274b30405ea552a4b96f5e36bce9f30e62

Regards,
Mauro

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: PostGIS Connections hanging under App Schema Plugin

Kathi Schleidt

Hiya,

First off, thanks to all for your prompt and helpful responses! :) I haven't been following this much as the system remained semi-stable as long as I didn't touch it. Now it again lost the complex features (simple one were fine), so I decided to try the reload from the GUI as recommended. While it did the trick of restarting the complex features, it also doubled the number of connections to the PostGIS DB

Guess next try will be Ben's JNDI suggestion

Does seem I'm not the only one running into these problems, did get a list of hacks from Mauro:

 - in case of exceptions some connection can be leaked: I have an (hacked) fix here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/7b928274286d4bb7286d9bc8f0e7fe611391785f
 - also, in case many joins are used in a schema, many connections can be created by a single wfs query, because no shared transaction is used, and this limits the concurrency of app-schema usage heavily, and with connection leaks, can lead to the connection pool becoming unusable; I have an hacked fix also for this. Look here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/8098a1753f519d9a57a0642f9ff31d1795f81a4a and here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/fc14bf274b30405ea552a4b96f5e36bce9f30e62

:)

Kathi

On 02.05.2017 18:34, Nuno Oliveira wrote:
[...]

Hi Kathi, we have a pull request pending for improving connections handling in app-schema. If I don't get any objections from other developers, I will merge them soon:

Regards,
Mauro

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:+39%200584%20962313" value="+390584962313" target="_blank">+39 0584 962313
fax:   <a href="tel:+39%200584%20166%200272" value="+3905841660272" target="_blank">+39 0584 1660272
mob:   <a href="tel:+39%20333%20812%208928" value="+393338128928" target="_blank">+39  333 8128928

[...]

geowolf
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Kathi Schleidt <[hidden email]> wrote:

 - in case of exceptions some connection can be leaked: I have an (hacked) fix here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/7b928274286d4bb7286d9bc8f0e7fe611391785f

 - also, in case many joins are used in a schema, many connections can be created by a single wfs query, because no shared transaction is used, and this limits the concurrency of app-schema usage heavily, and with connection leaks, can lead to the connection pool becoming unusable; I have an hacked fix also for this. Look here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/8098a1753f519d9a57a0642f9ff31d1795f81a4a and here: https://github.com/mbarto/geotools/commit/fc14bf274b30405ea552a4b96f5e36bce9f30e62

I believe those are getting into the official code base soon:

Cheers
Andrea

--
==