PostGIS 2.3.0 and pgRouting 2.3.0 are released

PostGIS 2.3.0 and pgRouting 2.3.0 are released

Regina Obe
The PostGIS development team is pleased to announce the release of PostGIS
2.3.0.
This is the first version to utilize the parallel support functionality
introduced in PostgreSQL 9.6.
As such, if you are using PostgreSQL 9.6, we strongly encourage you to use
this version.

Parallel support will make many queries using PostGIS relationship operators
and functions faster.
In order to take advantage of parallel query support, make sure to set
max_parallel_workers_per_gather to something greater than 0
as noted in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/runtime-config-resource.html#GUC-
MAX-PARALLEL-WORKERS-PER-GATHER

Best served with [PostgreSQL 9.6+] which is due out this week and
pgRouting 2.3.0

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-users/2016-September/002287.html

which just got released.

Packages from maintainers will be out in the coming days and weeks.

* [Download] http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/source/postgis-2.3.0.tar.gz
* [HTML docs] - http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/docs/doc-html-2.3.0.tar.gz

* [pdf doc download]
http://download.osgeo.org/postgis/docs/postgis-2.3.0.pdf

* [Changelog] https://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/tags/2.3.0/ChangeLog

If you are a Mac user using newer XCode 8, you might run into some
compilation issues
as a result of recent changes in XCode.  Refer to
https://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/ticket/3643
for a patch you can use.

Please report bugs that you find in this release providing details as noted
in http://postgis.net/support/

Important / Breaking Changes / Bug Fixes

    All relevant fixes coming in PostGIS 2.2.3 are in this release

    3466, Casting from box3d to geometry now returns a 3D geometry (Julien
Rouhaud of Dalibo)

    3604, pgcommon/Makefile.in orders CFLAGS incorrectly leading to wrong
liblwgeom.h (Greg Troxel)

    3396, ST_EstimatedExtent, now throws WARNING instead of ERROR (Regina
Obe)

    New Features and Performance Enhancements

    Add support for custom TOC in postgis_restore.pl (Christoph
Moench-Tegeder)
    Add support for negative indexing in ST_PointN and ST_SetPoint (Rémi
Cura)
    Add parameters for geography ST_Buffer (Thomas Bonfort)
    TopoGeom_addElement, TopoGeom_remElement (Sandro Santilli)
    populate_topology_layer (Sandro Santilli)
    454, ST_WrapX and lwgeom_wrapx (Sandro Santilli)
    1758, ST_Normalize (Sandro Santilli)
    2236, shp2pgsql -d now emits “DROP TABLE IF EXISTS”
    2259, ST_VoronoiPolygons and ST_VoronoiLines (Dan Baston)
    2841 and #2996, ST_MinimumBoundingRadius and new
ST_MinimumBoundingCircle implementation using Welzl’s algorithm (Dan Baston)
    2991, Enable ST_Transform to use PROJ.4 text (Mike Toews)
    3059, Allow passing per-dimension parameters in ST_Expand (Dan Baston)
    3339, ST_GeneratePoints (Paul Ramsey)
    3362, ST_ClusterDBSCAN (Dan Baston)
    3364, ST_GeometricMedian (Dan Baston)
    3391, Add table inheritance support in ST_EstimatedExtent (Alessandro
Pasotti)
    3424, ST_MinimumClearance (Dan Baston)
    3428, ST_Points (Dan Baston)
    3465, ST_ClusterKMeans (Paul Ramsey)
    3469, ST_MakeLine with MULTIPOINTs (Paul Norman)
    3549, Support PgSQL 9.6 parallel query mode, as far as possible (Paul
Ramsey, Regina Obe)
    3557, Geometry function costs based on query stats (Paul Norman)
    3591, Add support for BRIN indexes. PostgreSQL 9.4+ required. (Giuseppe
Broccolo of 2nd Quadrant, Julien Rouhaud and Ronan Dunklau of Dalibo)
    3496, Make postgis non-relocateable for extension install, schema
qualify calls in functions (Regina Obe) Should resolve once and for all for
extensions #3494, #3486, #3076
    3547, Update tiger geocoder to support TIGER 2016 and to support both
http and ftp.

    3613, Segmentize geography using equal length segments (Hugo Mercier of
Oslandia)

    Bug Fixes

    2841, ST_MinimumBoundingCircle not covering original

    Performance Enhancements *

    75, Enhancement to PIP short circuit (Dan Baston)
    3383, Avoid deserializing small geometries during index operations (Dan
Baston)
    3400, Minor optimization of PIP routines (Dan Baston)
    Make adding a line to topology interruptible (Sandro Santilli)
    Documentation updates from Mike Toews

News: http://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/tags/2.3.0/NEWS
Binary packages will appear in http://postgis.net/install over the coming
days and weeks as packagers roll out builds.

Thank you all for your warm support,
PostGIS development team
http://postgis.net

Re: PostGIS 2.3.0 and pgRouting 2.3.0 are released

Brian M Hamlin

Hi All -

  first of all, congratulations on this release.  So fast, my head is spinning ..

Now, on to the details.. . I see some functions in the pdf manual, marked

  Availability 2.3.0  Requires GEOS >= 3.6.0

GEOS is at 3.6 now ?!?

Some of you may know that OSGeo-Live is closely related to DebianGIS packaging,
The packaging chain is certainly not even close to using GEOS 3.6 now..

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/geos.git/

More info on GEOS 3.6, please.

best regards from Berkeley, California
-- Brian M Hamlin
California Open Data ECN

Re: PostGIS 2.3.0 and pgRouting 2.3.0 are released

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 09/26/2016 11:04 PM, Brian M Hamlin wrote:

> Now, on to the details.. . I see some functions in the pdf manual, marked
>
>   Availability 2.3.0  Requires GEOS >= 3.6.0
>
> GEOS is at 3.6 now ?!?
>
> Some of you may know that OSGeo-Live is closely related to DebianGIS packaging,
> The packaging chain is certainly not even close to using GEOS 3.6 now..
>
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-grass/geos.git/
>
> More info on GEOS 3.6, please.

GEOS 3.6 is still in development, having support for its new features
already in postgis before the final release is great.

There are still many outstanding issue for GEOS 3.6.0 as can be seen in
the roadmap:

 https://trac.osgeo.org/geos/roadmap

A new release is not expected soon, as recently discussed on the GEOS list:

 https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/geos-devel/2016-September/007553.html

Once the new GEOS release is out (either 3.5.1 or 3.6.0) the Debian
packaging will updated as soon as possible for inclusion in Debian and
its derivatives.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1