Post loomio... how to vote?

12

Post loomio... how to vote?

ginetto
Hi

probably I missed something, but Loomio, that we know was a proprietary platform, since time closed it's freemium accounts. QGIS Spanish User group used loomio to have the same platform used by QGIS.

Are we still using Loomio or we plan to move to another product (possible OS)... framasoft, democracyOS, or whatelse?

The question is because qgis.es wants
1) move to a OS platform for his internal distributed decision procedure
2) have this procedure in use before the next general QGIS AGM
3) have this procedure in use before next spanish AGM (in june) planned in Girona, but probably that will be all online due to coronavirus.

le us know

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Good question, thanks Luigi. I fully agree we better use a FOSS
solution. We don't need anything very fancy, a simple way of collecting
votes and have the totals is enough.
Do you (or others) have any experience on the platforms you mentioned?
Anyone can recommend one fo them?
Cheers.

Il 25/03/20 23:37, Luigi Pirelli ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> probably I missed something, but Loomio, that we know was a proprietary
> platform, since time closed it's freemium accounts. QGIS Spanish User
> group used loomio to have the same platform used by QGIS.
>
> Are we still using Loomio or we plan to move to another product
> (possible OS)... framasoft, democracyOS, or whatelse?
>
> The question is because qgis.es <http://qgis.es> wants
> 1) move to a OS platform for his internal distributed decision procedure
> 2) have this procedure in use before the next general QGIS AGM
> 3) have this procedure in use before next spanish AGM (in june) planned
> in Girona, but probably that will be all online due to coronavirus.
>
> le us know
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
> * Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
> <https://www.packtpub.com/eu/application-development/mastering-geospatial-development-qgis-3x-third-edition>
> * Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

ginetto
I leaved the world of participatory processes times ago... I'm not updated. But I know that have to be:

1) responsive solution well scalable among devices!
2) FSOSS
3) locally or cloud deployable
4) well maintained by community

IMHO we can ask in the qgis dev and user community too

but I know there where a product of the french framasoft collective, bu I can't find it.

cheers

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 07:21, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good question, thanks Luigi. I fully agree we better use a FOSS
solution. We don't need anything very fancy, a simple way of collecting
votes and have the totals is enough.
Do you (or others) have any experience on the platforms you mentioned?
Anyone can recommend one fo them?
Cheers.

Il 25/03/20 23:37, Luigi Pirelli ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> probably I missed something, but Loomio, that we know was a proprietary
> platform, since time closed it's freemium accounts. QGIS Spanish User
> group used loomio to have the same platform used by QGIS.
>
> Are we still using Loomio or we plan to move to another product
> (possible OS)... framasoft, democracyOS, or whatelse?
>
> The question is because qgis.es <http://qgis.es> wants
> 1) move to a OS platform for his internal distributed decision procedure
> 2) have this procedure in use before the next general QGIS AGM
> 3) have this procedure in use before next spanish AGM (in june) planned
> in Girona, but probably that will be all online due to coronavirus.
>
> le us know
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
> * Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
> <https://www.packtpub.com/eu/application-development/mastering-geospatial-development-qgis-3x-third-edition>
> * Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Sandro Santilli-4
On Wed, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:37:20PM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:

> Hi
>
> probably I missed something, but Loomio, that we know was a proprietary
> platform, since time closed it's freemium accounts. QGIS Spanish User group
> used loomio to have the same platform used by QGIS.
>
> Are we still using Loomio or we plan to move to another product (possible
> OS)... framasoft, democracyOS, or whatelse?
>
> The question is because qgis.es wants
> 1) move to a OS platform for his internal distributed decision procedure
> 2) have this procedure in use before the next general QGIS AGM
> 3) have this procedure in use before next spanish AGM (in june) planned in
> Girona, but probably that will be all online due to coronavirus.

Would you please consider joining SAC to deploy an OSGeo-wide solution
for voting ? It would help others in the community as well :)

The closest recent technology deployed was
https://limesurvey.osgeo.org/
(not really for voting, not sure it could be adapted)

--strk;

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

ginetto
On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 09:48, Sandro Santilli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Would you please consider joining SAC to deploy an OSGeo-wide solution
for voting ? It would help others in the community as well :)

+1

The closest recent technology deployed was
https://limesurvey.osgeo.org/
(not really for voting, not sure it could be adapted)

I do not think so... probably better  http://democracyos.org/ but I do not have experience with it and last update is 1.5years old :(

other platforms after a more deep search
https://github.com/decidim/decidim
etc etc

as usual in the OS world... it's too fragmented duplicating a lot of the same features (btw the same happen in proprietary solutions)

I would add another feature

4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps, authentication etc etc.)

cheers

Luigi Pirelli

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Sandro Santilli-4
On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:24:27AM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:

> I would add another feature
>
> 4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps,
> authentication etc etc.)

Check if a NextCloud plugin exists, as we already have NextCloud
installed OSGeo-wide.

--strk;

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Hi Sandro

Il 26/03/20 10:41, Sandro Santilli ha scritto:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:24:27AM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
>
>> I would add another feature
>>
>> 4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps,
>> authentication etc etc.)
>
> Check if a NextCloud plugin exists, as we already have NextCloud
> installed OSGeo-wide.

apparently there is something:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/forms
never used here though.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

ginetto
OSGeo board still use Loomio for PSC and Limesurvey for chapter elections... btw I agree, we can give a try to OSGeo nextcloud plugins if we can have a independent instance where to manage "our" voters

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 15:09, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sandro

Il 26/03/20 10:41, Sandro Santilli ha scritto:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:24:27AM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
>
>> I would add another feature
>>
>> 4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps,
>> authentication etc etc.)
>
> Check if a NextCloud plugin exists, as we already have NextCloud
> installed OSGeo-wide.

apparently there is something:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/forms
never used here though.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Andreas Neumann-4

Hi,

Seems like the QGIS community is already using another tool for doing surveys (like the question of the month): https://www.kobotoolbox.org/

Can't we use this one for the AGM and other votings?

Greetings,

Andreas

Am 26.03.20 um 15:11 schrieb Luigi Pirelli:
OSGeo board still use Loomio for PSC and Limesurvey for chapter elections... btw I agree, we can give a try to OSGeo nextcloud plugins if we can have a independent instance where to manage "our" voters

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 15:09, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sandro

Il 26/03/20 10:41, Sandro Santilli ha scritto:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:24:27AM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
>
>> I would add another feature
>>
>> 4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps,
>> authentication etc etc.)
>
> Check if a NextCloud plugin exists, as we already have NextCloud
> installed OSGeo-wide.

apparently there is something:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/forms
never used here though.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Tim Sutton-6
Hi

Didn’t Marco already set up the voting in Google docs? Why introduce another new thing in it’s place?

Regards

To,

On 26 Mar 2020, at 19:05, Andreas Neumann <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Seems like the QGIS community is already using another tool for doing surveys (like the question of the month): https://www.kobotoolbox.org/

Can't we use this one for the AGM and other votings?

Greetings,

Andreas

Am 26.03.20 um 15:11 schrieb Luigi Pirelli:
OSGeo board still use Loomio for PSC and Limesurvey for chapter elections... btw I agree, we can give a try to OSGeo nextcloud plugins if we can have a independent instance where to manage "our" voters

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 15:09, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sandro

Il 26/03/20 10:41, Sandro Santilli ha scritto:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:24:27AM +0100, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
>
>> I would add another feature
>>
>> 4) if possible simple link to other services (e.g. calendar, maps,
>> authentication etc etc.)
>
> Check if a NextCloud plugin exists, as we already have NextCloud
> installed OSGeo-wide.

apparently there is something:
https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/polls
https://github.com/nextcloud/forms
never used here though.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Tim Sutton

Co-founder: Kartoza
Ex Project chair: QGIS.org

Desktop GIS programming services
Geospatial web development
GIS Training
Consulting Services

Skype: timlinux
IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Marco Bernasocchi-2

Hey all,

wow that went quick :)

Thanks Tim you're right, all voting forms are ready in google forms as usual.

I dont't think we need a new tool unless we decide to move everything there. And by everything I mean:

- all community votes
- all AGM things
- and also all the PSC decisions so we don't have to copy paste things (sorry not fan of the current system based on email votes and copy to rst)

Cheers

Marco

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Andreas Neumann-4

I am not asking for a new system. I am fine with whatever system is used, if we can document the result in a consistent way.

But why do we use Kobotool and Google Docs? Because the Kobo thing is translatable? Is this the reason? Sorry for my question - I was just confused by the discussion triggered by Luigi asking for yet another tool. I am having a hard time tracking all the different tools we have in place for QGIS.ORG ... I am in favour of keeping the things we already have and are already familiar with ...

Greetings,

Andreas

IRC: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net

I'd love to connect. Here's my calendar link to make finding time easy.

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Hi Andreas, others

Il 26/03/20 20:52, Andreas Neumann ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> I am not asking for a new system. I am fine with whatever system is
> used, if we can document the result in a consistent way.
>
> But why do we use Kobotool and Google Docs? Because the Kobo thing is
> translatable? Is this the reason? Sorry for my question - I was just
> confused by the discussion triggered by Luigi asking for yet another
> tool. I am having a hard time tracking all the different tools we have
> in place for QGIS.ORG ... I am in favour of keeping the things we
> already have and are already familiar with ...

quite right, KISS principle applies here too.
who can set up a voting system then?
cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Matthias Kuhn 🌍

I would appreciate if we could add a place to discuss to the requirements. For example at the last AGM a lot of people left comments on the voting about the release cycle next to their vote. Google Forms (etc.) are nice for surveys, but IMHO not very well suited for an AGM.

For the current one, I am hoping for a good discussion about the environmental policy. I think for this discussion is at least as important as the decision itself. Also the AGM should help to create harden bonds within the community and act as a constructive place to put forward new ideas.

For me, having this discussion at the same place where the voting itself takes place (and not on a separate mailing list) helps to streamline the discussion. It also helps to make sure that all voting members read through the discussion when voting and even those unfamiliar with mailing lists know where to comment.

DemocracyOS looks like a very eligible alternative to loomio. Did someone make a test with it, the demo unfortunately does not seem to be running?

And for the record, what is the cost for sticking to loomio?

Matthias

On 3/26/20 9:10 AM, Luigi Pirelli wrote:
I leaved the world of participatory processes times ago... I'm not updated. But I know that have to be:

1) responsive solution well scalable among devices!
2) FSOSS
3) locally or cloud deployable
4) well maintained by community

IMHO we can ask in the qgis dev and user community too

but I know there where a product of the french framasoft collective, bu I can't find it.

cheers

Luigi Pirelli

* GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
* Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
* Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 at 07:21, Paolo Cavallini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good question, thanks Luigi. I fully agree we better use a FOSS
solution. We don't need anything very fancy, a simple way of collecting
votes and have the totals is enough.
Do you (or others) have any experience on the platforms you mentioned?
Anyone can recommend one fo them?
Cheers.

Il 25/03/20 23:37, Luigi Pirelli ha scritto:
> Hi
>
> probably I missed something, but Loomio, that we know was a proprietary
> platform, since time closed it's freemium accounts. QGIS Spanish User
> group used loomio to have the same platform used by QGIS.
>
> Are we still using Loomio or we plan to move to another product
> (possible OS)... framasoft, democracyOS, or whatelse?
>
> The question is because qgis.es <http://qgis.es> wants
> 1) move to a OS platform for his internal distributed decision procedure
> 2) have this procedure in use before the next general QGIS AGM
> 3) have this procedure in use before next spanish AGM (in june) planned
> in Girona, but probably that will be all online due to coronavirus.
>
> le us know
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
> * Book: Mastering QGIS3 - 3rd Edition
> <https://www.packtpub.com/eu/application-development/mastering-geospatial-development-qgis-3x-third-edition>
> * Hire a team: http://www.qcooperative.net

Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Hi Matthias, all

Il 27/03/20 10:03, Matthias Kuhn ha scritto:

> I would appreciate if we could add a place to discuss to the
> requirements. For example at the last AGM a lot of people left comments
> on the voting about the release cycle next to their vote. Google Forms
> (etc.) are nice for surveys, but IMHO not very well suited for an AGM.

agreed: comments are as much important as votes, if not more

> For the current one, I am hoping for a good discussion about the
> environmental policy. I think for this discussion is at least as
> important as the decision itself. Also the AGM should help to create
> harden bonds within the community and act as a constructive place to put
> forward new ideas.

totally agreed: discussion is the very heart of democracy, and democracy
is one of our fundamental values. Actually I was surprised by the
relative lack of response in last year's AGM. Would someone from PSC
help stimulating the discussion?

> For me, having this discussion at the same place where the voting itself
> takes place (and not on a separate mailing list) helps to streamline the
> discussion. It also helps to make sure that all voting members read
> through the discussion when voting and even those unfamiliar with
> mailing lists know where to comment.

I'm not sure about this: I think most of us are quite used to use ML for
discussion, and I do not see a big problem in having a separate platform
for the end result, i.e. voting. What I like of ML is that the whole
discussion is automatically archived, and available over the years. I do
not have an easy way, for instance, to find back last year's discussion
on Loomio. Of course, I'm totally open: if there are better tools, let's
use them, keeping in mind the very sensible note from Andreas about
having a too complex infrastructure.

Right, known bug: https://github.com/DemocracyOS/democracyos/issues/1654

> And for the record, what is the cost for sticking to loomio?

Basic plan 1 $ per person per month. Unclear whther we can activate it
just for the AGM month.

Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Hi all,
one further issue: until now we didn't consider voters anonymity. AFAIK
the only free system that guarantees anonymity is the one used by
Debian. It looks complex, I'm studying whether it is realistic to use it
with a reasonable effort.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair:

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

pcav
Hi all.
My conclusion is this particular one is too complex for uor capabilities:
https://wiki.debian.org/Secretary/StartAVote
https://vote.debian.org/~secretary/devotee.git
Anonimity is a serious concern IMHO, however.
Cheers.

On 3/28/20 10:19 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:

>> And for the record, what is the cost for sticking to loomio?
> Basic plan 1 $ per person per month. Unclear whther we can activate it
> just for the AGM month.

I just checked with Loomio, they have set us on a free plan for now (and
mentioned a 1$/user/year plan for communities and volunteer groups).

What they asked in return is a blog post about our Loomio usage. I could
imagine a general blog post about our "democracy" and tools we use would
be a nice statement from the project whatever solution we turn to.

If others like Loomio (like I do), I think that's a fair road. If the
general preference is to move to another solution, that's fine too.

Best regards

Matthias

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Marco Bernasocchi-2
Hi Matthias,

On 30.03.20 11:28, Matthias Kuhn wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 3/28/20 10:19 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>>
>>> And for the record, what is the cost for sticking to loomio?
>> Basic plan 1 $ per person per month. Unclear whther we can activate it
>> just for the AGM month.
>
> I just checked with Loomio, they have set us on a free plan for now
> (and mentioned a 1$/user/year plan for communities and volunteer groups).

thanks a lot for getting in touch with them! Did they mention for how
long the free plan is?

anyway, 60$/year is definitely worth already more than the time we spent
discussing this :)

> What they asked in return is a blog post about our Loomio usage. I
> could imagine a general blog post about our "democracy" and tools we
> use would be a nice statement from the project whatever solution we
> turn to.
>
> If others like Loomio (like I do), I think that's a fair road.
I think too, I'm definitely no fan of mailing lists.
> If the general preference is to move to another solution, that's fine
> too.

agreed, just please consider the time-investment required to run things
ourselves

Cheers

Marco

> Best regards
>
> Matthias

Marco Bernasocchi

QGIS.org Co-chair
http://berna.io

Re: Post loomio... how to vote?

Anita Graser
On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 11:28 AM Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just checked with Loomio, they have set us on a free plan for now (and
mentioned a 1$/user/year plan for communities and volunteer groups).

What they asked in return is a blog post about our Loomio usage. I could
imagine a general blog post about our "democracy" and tools we use would
be a nice statement from the project whatever solution we turn to.

If others like Loomio (like I do), I think that's a fair road. If the
general preference is to move to another solution, that's fine too.

Thanks for looking into this Matthias!
I'm fine with staying with Loomio. Sounds like that would be least effort and also affordable.

Regards,
Anita

12