Possible application questions

Joe Hogan

Hello,

I am writing to ask if MapServer will work for our application.

We are working on a project that will allow us to place on a map of our
country various projects.  We want to be able to filter them based on
various pieces of information, including, for example:

year of project
population
project budget
etc...

We are compiling the data in a CRM(MySQL database), and want to use the
data from the CRM to feed the mapping software.

1 - can I map the type fo information that I need?
2 - can we use the data directly from the CRM database if we tell the
mapping software what data to use(so t can be read on the fly, live from
the database?), or does it need to be exported before using in the
mapping software?
3 - It it needs to be in its own exported format, how to I get it from
MtSQL to the correct format?

Thanks for any and all help.

Joseph

Re: Possible application questions

Steve.Toutant

hi Joseph
Yes mapserver can be used for your application by providing wms/wfs services
Here are some links that can help
#connect to mysql
http://mapserver.org/input/vector/mysql.html

#filters...Runtime substitution
http://mapserver.org/cgi/runsub.html

Do you have latitude/longitude data in your database, or any other georeference that can be used to render on a map?
Steve

[...]

Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, veuillez le détruire près avoir informé l'expéditeur de son erreur. Par ailleurs, il est interdit de copier ou de modifier ce courriel sans l'autorisation de l'auteur.

L'Institut national de santé publique du Québec n'assume aucune responsabilité à l'égard du contenu des messages personnels envoyés par ses employés.

Re: Possible application questions

Joe Hogan

Hello Steve,

Thanks for the reassuring news.  We have found our possible solution.

The CRM software has not yet been modified, but it will have the two fields for the Longitude and Latitude.

Other fields will be used as well, and we will have to add more for those.

When you say it has to provide wms/wfs services, what does that mean?  I found the 9nitials, but what does it mean?

Is it a special format?  Like I need to export the data from the data base into a certain format?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but I am learning:)

Thanks

Joseph

On 02/21/2017 08:48 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

hi Joseph
Yes mapserver can be used for your application by providing wms/wfs services
Here are some links that can help
#connect to mysql
http://mapserver.org/input/vector/mysql.html

#filters...Runtime substitution
http://mapserver.org/cgi/runsub.html

Do you have latitude/longitude data in your database, or any other georeference that can be used to render on a map?
Steve

Re: Possible application questions

Steve.Toutant
WMS and WFS are ogc standards to share maps over the web, intranet ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service

You will not export data from the database. Mapserver will be connected to your mysql DB and render maps as a service.
Those services can be viewed by gis softwares or web applications
steve

Re: Possible application questions

Joe Hogan

Hello Steve

Thanks for your feedback so far.  It is slowly painting a picture for me.

Before we start the CRM DB, we need ot determine if a mapping software can with with the CRM DB.  You seem to say this.

We do not want to start the DB in a software, only have to export it once done, to a new DB software.  The Ma[pserver part wil be done once the DB part is done.  Why, the budget is ready for the DB part, but not yet for the mapserver part.

So, a simple scenario would be:

-My CRM database is populated with various data concerning projects that we want to map out in Map server, including longitude and latitude.  This coudl include: year, budget, different project paramaters, etc...

-Mapserver is configured to be able to read the CRM DB.  There will be various fields that will be searchable by definable fields in Mapserver.

-Mapserver is able to peruse through the CRM DB and grab the data that it needs to display on the map, according to defined choices in our search.

-Mapserver displays the files that meet the given criteria.

This sound right?

Those points that are displayed, are they clickable?

IF so (for my project they need to be clickable, or the people doing the search will not be able to see details on the files that meet the criteria), how to we determine what is displayed?  If it is displayed, we will want to display additional information that what query criteria.

Last question before I sign off.

Like I state, we are looking at  CRM to do this system.  It seems to be much easier than building a new interface and database.  The CRM is well advanced, very flexible, modifiable and a great price that fits our budget.  By removing a few modules, it seems to suit the project well.

When we have a project in the CRM, there are hard data typed right into the profile: name, year, budget, etc...

But, we also have data that is "linked" to the project, like: Companies and individuals.   This is different from the hard data.  Hard data has a field, and whether you enter something in the field or note, the full or empty field is displayed.  For the "linked" style, there is a heading, but if there are no "linked" files, nothing is displayed.  But, if there are things to display, the page adjusts downward to accommodate the entries.

Can we have Mapserver grab the names of these "linked" files?

Thanks!

Joseph

On 02/22/2017 09:32 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
WMS and WFS are ogc standards to share maps over the web, intranet ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service

You will not export data from the database. Mapserver will be connected to your mysql DB and render maps as a service.
Those services can be viewed by gis softwares or web applications
steve

Re: Possible application questions

Steve.Toutant
I don't understand what you mean by
"-Mapserver displays the files that meet the given criteria. " and linked files

There is a GetFeatureInfo request in WMS spec, so yes by clicking on a feature that could launch a request. The fields to query are specified in the mapfile.

I think it is time to learn what a mapfile is and how it interacts with data.
There are severals basics tutorials available so you can quickly understand how it works

Steve

De :        Joe Hogan <[hidden email]>
A :        [hidden email]
Cc :        [hidden email]
Date :        2017-02-26 23:55

On 02/22/2017 09:32 AM, Steve.Toutant@... wrote:
WMS and WFS are ogc standards to share maps over the web, intranet ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Map_Service

You will not export data from the database. Mapserver will be connected to your mysql DB and render maps as a service.

Those services can be viewed by gis softwares or web applications

steve

De :
Joe Hogan <joehogan@...>
A :
Steve.Toutant@...
Cc :
[hidden email]
Date :
2017-02-21 11:14
Objet :
Re: [mapserver-users] Possible application questions

Steve.Toutant@... wrote:

hi Joseph
Yes mapserver can be used for your application by providing wms/wfs services
Here are some links that can help
#connect to mysql

http://mapserver.org/input/vector/mysql.html

#filters...Runtime substitution

http://mapserver.org/cgi/runsub.html

Do you have latitude/longitude data in your database, or any other georeference that can be used to render on a map?
Steve

-----"mapserver-users"
A :
[hidden email]