Possibility to change the response of FeatureInfo Request

Possibility to change the response of FeatureInfo Request

Andreas Pakulat
Hi,

I'd like to if it's possible to define the output of FeatureInfo
request, when it's asking for text/html. I'd like to define how the html
looks like myself instead of just getting a listing of the features.

Andreas

Re: Possibility to change the response of FeatureInfo Request

Chris Holmes-2
Quoting Andreas Pakulat <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to if it's possible to define the output of FeatureInfo
> request, when it's asking for text/html. I'd like to define how the
> html
> looks like myself instead of just getting a listing of the features.
Currently there's not.  James had an idea for a sort of template system,
that you could customize for your output.

Personally I find the idea of html from GetFeatureInfo flawed, with the
output determined by the server.  The way I'd advise is to use WFS
GetFeature, since you have a lot more control over the request, full
use of Filters.  And you get the request back in GML, which you can
then transform into the html as you like.  If you must use
GetFeatureInfo I'd use the GML output, and do an xsl transform or the
like to format it into the way you'd like it.

Or perhaps you could use a css on the html that the server returns?
That's the thing I'd do, if we don't do already, is make the output
very css friendly, so the presentation is defined by the client.

best regards,

Chris

Chris Holmes schrieb:

> Quoting Andreas Pakulat <[hidden email]>:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'd like to if it's possible to define the output of FeatureInfo
>>request, when it's asking for text/html. I'd like to define how the
>>html
>>looks like myself instead of just getting a listing of the features.
>
> Currently there's not.  James had an idea for a sort of template system,
> that you could customize for your output.

That's too bad.

> The way I'd advise is to use WFS
> GetFeature, since you have a lot more control over the request, full
> use of Filters.

I think that's not possible here, as what I want is to use mapbender to
display a map and overlay it with a map from geoserver. Now geoserver
has points where a photo was shot and thus what I want to do is: Click
on a red dot on the map in mapbender and then a window pops up which
shows the Photo (stored on a Webserver, not in Geoserver) and some
information. And mapbender doesn't have WFS support at the moment.

> If you must use
> GetFeatureInfo I'd use the GML output, and do an xsl transform or the
> like to format it into the way you'd like it.

That's what I have to do then...

> Or perhaps you could use a css on the html that the server returns?
> That's the thing I'd do, if we don't do already, is make the output
> very css friendly, so the presentation is defined by the client.

Not really, because I need to read a value from the Feature and use that
as source for an img-tag. I don't think that you can do that with css...

Andreas