Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Nyall Dawson
Hi Jürgen, all

I'm wondering if there's any chance of an immediate follow up to the
2.18.5 release with a quick bug fix release.

Totally my fault, but when I backported
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/90f381 I missed some changes which
had occurred between master and 2.18, with the result that there's a
huge memory leak in 2.18.5. Basically every layer rendered on canvas
it retained for every canvas redraw. You can easily reproduce this by
explodes and is never released.

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/9838a8f fixes this, but the
severity of this leak makes 2.18.5 unusable.

Given I'm totally at fault here, I'm willing to get sponsor an
immediate 2.18.6 release through North Road if that helps speed this
up.

Nyall

Re: Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Régis Haubourg
Hum Nyall,
double checking here.. (since I have a huge work load for a training course on monday with freshly installed 2.18.5).
Is there any chance this is an easter egg?

If so, please tell us soon

Régis

Hi Jürgen, all

I'm wondering if there's any chance of an immediate follow up to the
2.18.5 release with a quick bug fix release.

Totally my fault, but when I backported
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/90f381 I missed some changes which
had occurred between master and 2.18, with the result that there's a
huge memory leak in 2.18.5. Basically every layer rendered on canvas
it retained for every canvas redraw. You can easily reproduce this by
explodes and is never released.

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/commit/9838a8f fixes this, but the
severity of this leak makes 2.18.5 unusable.

Given I'm totally at fault here, I'm willing to get sponsor an
immediate 2.18.6 release through North Road if that helps speed this
up.

Nyall

Re: Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Jürgen E. Fischer
Hi Nyall,

On Sat, 01. Apr 2017 at 12:27:37 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's any chance of an immediate follow up to the
> 2.18.5 release with a quick bug fix release.

Oh no.  Took me until wednesday to cleanup the mess - and now there's even
more.

> Totally my fault

Get in line ;)

- download.osgeo.org ran out of disc space again (had to move the symbol store
  to make room)
- I missed to dependency updated after the removal of some python ext-libs
  after metasearch was updated in the release branches - producing uninstable
  trusty/jessie packages and broken NSIS installers.
- ubuntugis updated GDAL right after the release, breaking the fresh
  packages.
- processing saga support was broken just before the release.

On the positive side a 2.18.6 now could just take the scripts/release.pl -point
run 2.18.5 should have been.

But should we wait a while to see if there's even more?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50

Re: Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Nathan Woodrow

Where's the fun in software if we aren't breaking stuff last minute ;)

On Sat, 1 Apr 2017, 7:38 PM Jürgen E. Fischer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nyall,

On Sat, 01. Apr 2017 at 12:27:37 +1000, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> I'm wondering if there's any chance of an immediate follow up to the
> 2.18.5 release with a quick bug fix release.

Oh no.  Took me until wednesday to cleanup the mess - and now there's even
more.

> Totally my fault

Get in line ;)

- download.osgeo.org ran out of disc space again (had to move the symbol store
  to make room)
- I missed to dependency updated after the removal of some python ext-libs
  after metasearch was updated in the release branches - producing uninstable
  trusty/jessie packages and broken NSIS installers.
- ubuntugis updated GDAL right after the release, breaking the fresh
  packages.
- processing saga support was broken just before the release.

On the positive side a 2.18.6 now could just take the scripts/release.pl -point
run 2.18.5 should have been.

But should we wait a while to see if there's even more?

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel. +49-4931-918175-31
Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode

Re: Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Tom Chadwin
Just want to say to both Juergen and Nyall that the amount of work you put into QGIS is unbelievable. I'm sorry this means you have more work to do, but for the rest of us, we get to have an even bigger version number. And that's *better*.

Tom

Re: Possibility of 2.18.6 release shortly?

Idan Miara

Was this bug fixed on 2.18.5-2 ? Would it be present on 2.14.13-2 as well?
If this is a major bug maybe 2.18.4 should be the default on the download page till it fixed ?