Persisting CoverageStoreInfoImpl Error

Piero Campa
Dear list,
I recently upgraded to GeoServer 2.1.0 and I was uploading again my data (GeoTIFFs).

However I cannot upload them, I get this message in the Web Interface:
"The coverage store could not be saved. Failure message: Error persisting CoverageStoreInfoImpl[my.geo.tif] to /path/to/GEOSERVER_EXTERNAL_DATADIR/workspaces/my_workspace/my.geo.tif/coveragestore.xml"

Having NO my.geo.tif/ in the workspace directory.
This happened after I made some trial with RESTful PUTs.

Any idea on how to recover from this situation?
Thank you
Piero