Persistence of config to disk

Matt Hakim
Hi, does anyone know if geoserver config changes are written to disk as soon as save is clicked in the web interface. We've had a few instances where config went missing if the geoserver instance was killed. Looks like the changes were only in memory?
Regards,
Matt.

Re: Persistence of config to disk

Simone Giannecchini
Hi,
yes, the config is written immediately,  but if my memory serves me right it is done asynchronously wrt to the main thread.
In any case it is not easy to repicate the situation you are describing, unless there is something going super wrong already (like geoserver is in OOM error or so).

Regards,
Simone Giannecchini
==
Visit http://bit.ly/gs-services for more information.
==
Ing. Simone Giannecchini
@simogeo
Founder/Director

GeoSolutions S.A.S.
Via di Montramito 3/A
55054  Massarosa (LU)
Italy
phone: +39 0584 962313
fax:     +39 0584 1660272
mob:   +39  333 8128928

http://www.geo-solutions.it
http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it

Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia.

This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:08 PM Matt Hakim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if geoserver config changes are written to disk as soon as save is clicked in the web interface. We've had a few instances where config went missing if the geoserver instance was killed. Looks like the changes were only in memory?
Regards,
Matt.

Re: Persistence of config to disk

geowolf
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 10:32 PM Simone Giannecchini <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
yes, the config is written immediately,  but if my memory serves me right it is done asynchronously wrt to the main thread.

If we are talking about a stock GeoServer with file system based config storage, the method eventually being called is this one, which is again synchronous:

In any case it is not easy to repicate the situation you are describing, unless there is something going super wrong already (like geoserver is in OOM error or so).

Agreed. Checking the logs for anything related to major errors (OOM) or ConfigPersister or FileSystemResource related logs
would be a good start.

Cheers
Andrea

==

GeoServer Professional Services from the experts! Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime @geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054 Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339 8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it ------------------------------------------------------- Con riferimento alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 - Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679 “GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or e-mail.