Pedagogies for a Resilient GIScience Education

Pedagogies for a Resilient GIScience Education

Martin Tomko

Forwarding announcement:  This may be interesting to some on this list – certainly of interest beyond “just” academia.

Martin

----

Beginning in July 2020, individuals around the world have been participating in a series of online panels to discuss the idea of a resilient GIScience education, and what roles technologies may have to support and achieve the goals that people identify.

Each of the panels will be held several times, based in regions around the world, to facilitate participation and networking by communities in time and space. But the conversations themselves are open to the world and will be shared as recordings afterwards.

The first of three panels in the Asia Pacific region will be held on Monday 17 August (times – Auckland, NZ 2pm, Sydney, Australia 12pmBeijing, China & Singapore 10am).

Register to get your unique registration zoom link here: https://vuw.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lf-GorD8jEtP0QGWZqRHtiBIJxb5cre-n

The topic of the first panel is "Pedagogies for a Resilient GIScience Education".

Our panellists are:

Celina Agaton, MapPH, Canada & Asia

David Garcia, Canterbury University, New Zealand

Martin Tomko, University of Melbourne, Australia

Cathy Yinghui Cao, Qingdao University, China

Please join us to discuss with the panellists:

§  What is resilient GIScience education? For whom and against what?

§  What is a resilient GIScience educator?

§  What is a resilient GIScience student?

§  Are resilience and efficiency compatible?

§  What can we learn from the pedagogical best practices already documented for Geography and GIS to inform resilient GIScience education?

§  Is there anything special about GIS pedagogy that makes it more or less “resilient” than other disciplines?

§  How can we change our curricula and teaching practices to ensure resilient GIScience Education?

§  How can we preserve student-centered pedagogy and remain “resilient”?

§  What are the cultural, institutional and personal barriers to these changes

Further details on the discussion series are available at: https://www.globalgiscienceeducation.org/

Register to get your unique registration zoom link here: https://vuw.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0lf-GorD8jEtP0QGWZqRHtiBIJxb5cre-n

Dr Amy L. Griffin | pronouns: she/hers

ICA Commission on Cognitive Issues in Geographic Information Visualization (CogViz) Co-Chair

Senior Lecturer of Geospatial Science

School of Science

RMIT University

----