Parsing GML CRS definitions

Piero Campa
Dear list,

soon I will need to handle GML Coordinate Reference Sysyem definitions in a Java servlet.
A concrete example can be visualized here: http://kahlua.eecs.jacobs-university.de:8080/def/crs/EPSG/0/4326

I know that GeoTools library can parse GML, and I can see in http://docs.geotools.org/latest/userguide/library/xml/geometry.html some good documentation regarding Geometry features.

I'd like to know whether I will be able to parse such definitions, and maybe translate them to WKT.

I would need it to parse the definitions of compound or derived CRS to e.g. understand which dimensions are involved and in which order, then use them to create CoordinateReferenceSystem instances (org.geotools.referencing.CRS class has a parseWKT() method, but not a parseGML() equivalent).

Thanks.

Re: Parsing GML CRS definitions

Justin Deoliveira
Hi Piero,

Unfortunately the GML xml module will not handle GML crs definitions. ALthough it would be a great addition. If you are interested in developing a patch i am happy to point you in the right direction.

An alternative would be to add a parseGML() method to CRS but then none of the existing gml machinery would be used since its in an upstream module. Might be a better way to go though... not sure.

-Justin

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Piero Campa <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Justin,
thanks for the response, even though that's not what I hoped :)
I will look for other GML2WKT non-Java tools (any hint?), and in case I will come back here in case I will offer to work on a patch for this!

Cheers,
Piero