Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

DelazJ
Hi PSC,

This is a follow-up to the silence that answers my (in doc repo) and Matteo's recent call for reviewers [0] for the Processing docs he's been writing for some months now, and more generally for the docs.
While we are all eager and happy to show what we've done with QGIS 3.0, i'm less proud of the documentation state. There's a lot to do but I wouldn't want to expand here on the subject; i have already made it repeatedly, here and there and when required, PSC has tried things. But give a look to the recent activity in the docs repo and you'll maybe get what I mean.

Anyway, this mail is just to ask the PSC to please put on the monday meeting agenda discussion of an allocation (if i'm not wrong, QGIS Docs has some budget) for paid writers and reviewers for QGIS 3.0 (good after the bug fix!). Maybe that will attract other people who in turn will take on this task for a while.

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

Anita Graser
Dear Harrissou

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 1:49 PM, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​Indeed, there is budget for documentation. As I understand it, money should not be the issue. The issue so far seems to be to find someone qualified who has time to work on the docs if we pay him/her. Do you have specific people in mind?​

​Regards,
Anita​

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

pcav
Il 02/02/2018 12:49, DelazJ ha scritto:

> Anyway, this mail is just to ask the PSC to please put on the monday
> meeting agenda discussion of an allocation (if i'm not wrong, QGIS Docs
> has some budget) for paid writers and reviewers for QGIS 3.0 (good after
> the bug fix!). Maybe that will attract other people who in turn will
> take on this task for a while.

seems a quite reasonable proposal to me
thanks Harissou

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

Yves Jacolin

Harrissou,

Do you have some name in mind? We can contact them rather waiting for someone to ask funding. You can be interested?

Usually I work on documentation during QGIS hackfest, but I can't go the next one and haven't been in the previous one either.

Regards,

Y.

Le 02/02/2018 à 13:49, DelazJ a écrit :
[...]

http://yjacolin.gloobe.org

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

Giovanni Manghi
Hi Harrissou,

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 12:49 PM, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi PSC,
>
> This is a follow-up to the silence that answers my (in doc repo) and
> Matteo's recent call for reviewers [0] for the Processing docs he's been
> writing for some months now, and more generally for the docs.
> While we are all eager and happy to show what we've done with QGIS 3.0, i'm
> less proud of the documentation state. There's a lot to do but I wouldn't
> want to expand here on the subject; i have already made it repeatedly, here
> and there and when required, PSC has tried things. But give a look to the
> recent activity in the docs repo and you'll maybe get what I mean.
>
> Anyway, this mail is just to ask the PSC to please put on the monday meeting
> agenda discussion of an allocation (if i'm not wrong, QGIS Docs has some
> budget) for paid writers and reviewers for QGIS 3.0 (good after the bug
> fix!). Maybe that will attract other people who in turn will take on this
> task for a while.

I guess this also regards me as I have accepted the task to start
writing docs not long ago. As already commented with a few of you, it
has been a rough patch lately for me. I was counting to start the task
sooner but I have been delayed mainly for such personal reasons. If
the deal is still on I was counting start (for real this time) by
Monday (and continue trough the dev meeting and beyond).

with regards

-- GM --

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

Andreas Neumann-4
Hi all,

Yes Giovanni - we still count on you! It would be good if you could
dedicate time to the documentation.

Greetings,

Andreas

On 02.02.2018 14:00, Giovanni Manghi wrote:

> Hi Harrissou,
>
> On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 12:49 PM, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi PSC,
>>
>> This is a follow-up to the silence that answers my (in doc repo) and
>> Matteo's recent call for reviewers [0] for the Processing docs he's been
>> writing for some months now, and more generally for the docs.
>> While we are all eager and happy to show what we've done with QGIS 3.0, i'm
>> less proud of the documentation state. There's a lot to do but I wouldn't
>> want to expand here on the subject; i have already made it repeatedly, here
>> and there and when required, PSC has tried things. But give a look to the
>> recent activity in the docs repo and you'll maybe get what I mean.
>>
>> Anyway, this mail is just to ask the PSC to please put on the monday meeting
>> agenda discussion of an allocation (if i'm not wrong, QGIS Docs has some
>> budget) for paid writers and reviewers for QGIS 3.0 (good after the bug
>> fix!). Maybe that will attract other people who in turn will take on this
>> task for a while.
>>

> I guess this also regards me as I have accepted the task to start
> writing docs not long ago. As already commented with a few of you, it
> has been a rough patch lately for me. I was counting to start the task
> sooner but I have been delayed mainly for such personal reasons. If
> the deal is still on I was counting start (for real this time) by
> Monday (and continue trough the dev meeting and beyond).
>
> with regards
>
> -- GM --

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

DelazJ
Hi Giovanni,

Sorry if it looks like it was against you. That was not my intention, in any case. We have already chatted about that and I was counting you as a writer.
My main concern is that we have less active contributors (Doc team has never been big afaik, that said). Current needs are on reviewing big changes and having partly done that alone for some weeks, it's not a pleasant activity, sometimes demotivating (but maybe this is my way of "working" that doesn't correspond to the current situation). Hence, my idea was to have some more people (still good to have new blood) with you to start the process and have more hands to fix the numerous issues that are already listed.

Regards,
Harrissou

On <a href="tel:02.02.2018%2014" value="+33202201814" target="_blank">02.02.2018 14:00, Giovanni Manghi wrote:
[...]

ghtmtt
Hi Harrissou,

thanks for raising this important issue.

Given that many of the unreviewed PRs are mine ;) I just want to say
that it'd be a pity not having such documentation (not only mine but
also other PRs) merged with the QGIS release (or a bit after).

I know that for someone writing documentation is not so exiting but I
still think that documentation is **as important as code**. Having super
powerful algorithms not documented means not giving the chance to users
to use them (and they won't, that's sure).

Having more people that can allocate their time to both write and review
documentation is essential

If someone wants, we can speak about it in Madeira and share our thoughts

Thanks

Matteo

Re: Paid doc reviewers campaign for QGIS 3.0 ?

DelazJ
Yves,
(and btw answering Anita that I forgot earlier :( ) no I have no one in mind (reason why I suggested a call, unless someone (or some company) reading this thread steps up meanwhile) and no, I'm not interested.

greetings,
H.

On Fri, Feb 2, 2018 at 6:13 PM, DelazJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yves,
(and btw answering Anita that I forgot earlier :( ) no I have no one in mind (reason why I suggested a call, unless someone (or some company) reading this thread steps up meanwhile) and no, I'm not interested.

Hi Harrissou,

We talked about this issue at yesterday's PSC meeting (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/wiki#psc-meeting-minutes) and came away with the following
​ (beyond
Giovanni pick
​ing​
 up the work under QGIS.ORG funding
​):

​1. We will earmark a significant share of the budget for the n
ext
​round ​of
grant
​s for documentation work.​

​The work should target getting documentation up to speed for the
​3.4 LTR release. ​

​2. The general budget for 2018 contains 8000 EUR for supporting documentation in 2018. One proposal is that we use part of these funds to make it easier to edit the documentation e.g. by putting into production work from Richard and Alexandro to support markdown editing and inline/wysiwyg images
​The later is only one idea to further improve our documentation infrastructure. I'm aware that there are already great efforts ongoing for image previews in Github (https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Documentation/pull/2301). More ideas welcome!

Regards,
Anita