PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

This is the current make up of the MapGuide PSC

Bob Bray (Chair) - Autodesk
Bruce Dechant - Autodesk
Tom Fukushima - Autodesk
Haris Kurtagic
Jackie Ng
Paul Spencer
Zac Spitzer
Trevor Wekel - Autodesk (?)

Based on the past several years of mailing list activity, it has become clear that a fair majority of this list no longer actively participate in this project from a management/PSC standpoint.

You can look no further than nearly every RFC I have submitted for this project. Most of them got adopted on the minimal +2 votes required for adoption and most have very little discussion by the members on this list.

Also, I am disappointed by the lack of involvement by Autodesk-affliated members on this list or any project-related matters for the past several years. If there are management/PSC-related issues on this project that require attention or a response from Autodesk, we'd like *someone* affiliated with Autodesk to actually respond instead of whatever enquiries / requests-for-discussion falling on deaf ears.

It has become clear that this current PSC does not truly reflect the actual group of users and developers who can take MapGuide forward. To this end, I am asking that the current MapGuide PSC be overhauled. Members who are clearly no longer active participants should be replaced by people who still have a vested interest this project continuing on into the future.

I don't know (what is / if this is) going to happen, because I do not know how many people currently on the PSC will actually be reading this and agree to take any action. Either way, I've said what needed to be said.

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Martin Morrison
If it comes to it, I would nominate Gordon Luckett to serve on the PSC.

Martin Morrison
Application Engineer
Engineering Design Systems, Inc.
3780 Peters Creek Rd Ext SW
Roanoke, VA  24018
540.345.1410
gis.edsi.com

Re: PSC overhaul

Robert Bray
I agree an overhaul of the PSC is long overdue. In the projects best interest I am happy to step out of the way in favour of more active and interested parties.

Bob

Re: PSC overhaul

Tom Fukushima
Hi All,

Hugues forwarded me this email, and as you have seen I am unable to commit time to this project.  So with this, I officially step down as a PSC member of MapGuide Open Source. It was great working on this project and I hope for the continued success of it.

Best regards,
Tom Fukushima

Re: PSC overhaul

Bruce Dechant
Hi All,

I'm in the same boat as Tom - I just don't have the time for this project.
I too officially step down as a PSC member of MapGuide Open Source.

It has been a great ride with a fantastic product!

Thanks,
Bruce Dechant

Hugues forwarded me this email, and as you have seen I am unable to commit time to this project.  So with this, I officially step down as a PSC member of MapGuide Open Source. It was great working on this project and I hope for the continued success of it.

Best regards,
Tom Fukushima

Re: PSC overhaul

Paul Spencer
Hi Jackie

I am no longer able to participate in any meaningful way in fusion/mapguide
so I will step down from the PSC.

Cheers

Paul

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM, Jackie Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This is the current make up of the MapGuide PSC
>
> Bob Bray (Chair) - Autodesk
> Bruce Dechant - Autodesk
> Tom Fukushima - Autodesk
> Haris Kurtagic
> Jackie Ng
> Paul Spencer
> Zac Spitzer
> Trevor Wekel - Autodesk (?)
>
> Based on the past several years of mailing list activity, it has become
> clear that a fair majority of this list no longer actively participate in
> this project from a management/PSC standpoint.
>
> You can look no further than nearly every RFC I have submitted for this
> project. Most of them got adopted on the minimal +2 votes required for
> adoption and most have very little discussion by the members on this list.
>
> Also, I am disappointed by the lack of involvement by Autodesk-affliated
> members on this list or any project-related matters for the past several
> years. If there are management/PSC-related issues on this project that
> require attention or a response from Autodesk, we'd like *someone*
> affiliated with Autodesk to actually respond instead of whatever enquiries
> /
> requests-for-discussion falling on deaf ears.
>
> It has become clear that this current PSC does not truly reflect the actual
> group of users and developers who can take MapGuide forward. To this end, I
> am asking that the current MapGuide PSC be overhauled. Members who are
> clearly no longer active participants should be replaced by people who
> still
> have a vested interest this project continuing on into the future.
>
> I don't know (what is / if this is) going to happen, because I do not know
> how many people currently on the PSC will actually be reading this and
> agree
> to take any action. Either way, I've said what needed to be said.
>
> - Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Does Autodesk intend to nominate replacements for Bob, Tom and Bruce?

Or will they accept that an overhauled PSC may have minor to zero Autodesk representation if no replacements step up?

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Robert Bray
Hi Jackie,

I am having a couple of conversations about this internally. We'll likely nominate a single rep.

Bob

Does Autodesk intend to nominate replacements for Bob, Tom and Bruce?

Or will they accept that an overhauled PSC may have minor to zero Autodesk representation if no replacements step up?

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Hi Bob,

Has a representative been chosen yet?

There are some items of discussion that have implications with AIMS that require the attention of your chosen rep as soon as possible.

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Robert Bray
Hi Jackie,

After some internal discussion, we think it would be best for Kevin Campbell to represent Autodesk on the PSC. I've known Kevin for years, he has quite a bit of background with AIMS and the rest of our geospatial technology at Autodesk.

Kevin, please introduce yourself to the list when you get a chance.

Thanks,
Bob

There are some items of discussion that have implications with AIMS that require the attention of your chosen rep as soon as possible.

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Kevin Campbell
Hi Mapguide PSC,

My name is Kevin Campbell and I am the new representative for Autodesk.  Shortly we'll have other members joining to make up for the inactivity of late.

Regards,
Kevin

Re: PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Hi Kevin,

Welcome aboard.

When you say you'll have "other members joining" do you mean joining in mailing list discussions or do you have  more PSC candidates lined up?

- Jackie

PSC overhaul

Kevin Campbell
Hi Jacky,

What I had meant to say is that others with contributing to the mailing list.

Regards,
Kevin

Re: PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Ok, if nobody opposes. I propose the following process for overhauling the PSC:

 1. The existing PSC will be dissolved. Kevin Campbell will be automatically appointed to the new PSC as the Autodesk-representative member, leaving 7 free slots to be filled.
 2. The community will be polled for people who they want to nominate to represent the PSC. After a week of polling, we'll have a list of potential PSC nominees. People on this list can then state whether they want to remain on this list or not.
 3. For the people still on the list, the community will then vote on who they want to represent the PSC. After a week of polling, the first 7 people on this list with the most votes will be appointed.
 4. From this new 8-member PSC, an appropriate chairperson will be nominated.
 5. And hopefully, this new PSC will be more proactive in moving the MapGuide project forward.

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Haris Kurtagic
I would rather see that we continue from where we are now.
We have 4 members now, Jackie, Zac, Kevind and me, right ?
We would get new suggestions here on list and vote on them.

I believe we already have one new nominee, Gordon Luckett, and I vote +1
for him.

Haris

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Jackie Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, if nobody opposes. I propose the following process for overhauling the
> PSC:
>
>  1. The existing PSC will be dissolved. Kevin Campbell will be
> automatically
> appointed to the new PSC as the Autodesk-representative member, leaving 7
> free slots to be filled.
>  2. The community will be polled for people who they want to nominate to
> represent the PSC. After a week of polling, we'll have a list of potential
> PSC nominees. People on this list can then state whether they want to
> remain
> on this list or not.
>  3. For the people still on the list, the community will then vote on who
> they want to represent the PSC. After a week of polling, the first 7 people
> on this list with the most votes will be appointed.
>  4. From this new 8-member PSC, an appropriate chairperson will be
> nominated.
>  5. And hopefully, this new PSC will be more proactive in moving the
> MapGuide project forward.
>
> - Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Martin Morrison
Can I nominate Jackie?  Or do we have to wait?

Martin Morrison
Application Engineer
Engineering Design Systems, Inc.
3780 Peters Creek Rd Ext SW
Roanoke, VA  24018
540.345.1410
gis.edsi.com

Re: PSC overhaul

Jackie Ng
Sorry, but I have to disagree.

I have near-zero faith in project commitment from the current PSC make up (of which half have already resigned in this thread), which is why I am asking for a full reboot of the PSC (including myself) and not just a replacement of the inactive members.

If you are committed to this project and you have the merit and reputation among the MapGuide community to back it up, then you should be confident in the MapGuide community to nominate/vote you back into the new PSC.

- Jackie

Re: PSC overhaul

Jason Birch
CONTENTS DELETED