PSC management

12

PSC management

Markus Neteler
Dear PSC members,

we discussed the GRASS PSC at the current GRASS GIS Community Sprint here
in Prague (Helena, me, some community members) and decided that we need
to moderize the PSC and the way of management while keeping the overhead low.

For sure every year the PSC members are requested to confirm/decline
to continue their
work in the PSC.

I (being the current PSC chair) would like to request you to suggest
updates to the
RFC1. In order to see the interest, please answer within five business
days to this
email.

In case of no interest of continuation or no answer, the member will
be replaced in order
to refresh the GRASS PSC.

In Prague it was discussed how to identify community members eligible for
PSC membership. We came to the conclusion that such a person should have a
demonstrated and substantial involvement in GRASS GIS.

Please post your comments within five business days, i.e. end of the upcoming
week.

Thanks and greetings from a great Community Sprint,
Markus

PS: See
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2012

PPS: Special thanks to Martin Landa for organizing it (again)

Re: PSC management

Michael Barton
I am interested in continuing.

Michael

On May 28, 2012, at 12:01 AM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> Dear PSC members,
>
> we discussed the GRASS PSC at the current GRASS GIS Community Sprint here
> in Prague (Helena, me, some community members) and decided that we need
> to moderize the PSC and the way of management while keeping the overhead low.
>
> For sure every year the PSC members are requested to confirm/decline
> to continue their
> work in the PSC.
>
> I (being the current PSC chair) would like to request you to suggest
> updates to the
> RFC1. In order to see the interest, please answer within five business
> days to this
> email.
>
> In case of no interest of continuation or no answer, the member will
> be replaced in order
> to refresh the GRASS PSC.
>
> In Prague it was discussed how to identify community members eligible for
> PSC membership. We came to the conclusion that such a person should have a
> demonstrated and substantial involvement in GRASS GIS.
>
> Please post your comments within five business days, i.e. end of the upcoming
> week.
>
> Thanks and greetings from a great Community Sprint,
> Markus
>
> PS: See
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/Talk:GRASS_Community_Sprint_Prague_2012
>
> PPS: Special thanks to Martin Landa for organizing it (again)

_____________________
C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University

Re: PSC management

Paul Kelly
Hi Markus,
Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be
done. RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:

"Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection
of Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."

I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few
years now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of
GIS - so I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at
any time. It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific
date every year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to
continue is a great idea.

I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired,
it could simply be an informal rule. If any PSC members aren't willing to
continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
by the chair. I do think it's important to have a specific date every year
that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and
someone might be away on holiday for example.

To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would
suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".

Apart from that, great work.

Best regards

Paul

Re: PSC management

Scott Mitchell
Paul's suggestions make sense to me, since they are low
maintenance.

I am interested in continuing.

--------
Scott Mitchell (mobile)
+1 613 882 3843
[hidden email]

On 2012-05-28, at 5:15, Paul Kelly <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus,
> Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be done. RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:
>
> "Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection of Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."
>
> I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few years now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of GIS - so I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at any time. It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific date every year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to continue is a great idea.
>
> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it could simply be an informal rule. If any PSC members aren't willing to continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal by the chair. I do think it's important to have a specific date every year that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and someone might be away on holiday for example.
>
> To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".
>
> Apart from that, great work.
>
> Best regards
>
> Paul

Re: PSC management

Michael Barton
Same here.

Michael

_____________________
C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University

Re: PSC management

Massimiliano Cannata

I'm interested in continue.
Even though I'm not a core developer I feel I have demonstrated a substantial involvement in GRASS GIS (I) giving courses for engineers, architects and professionals (II) conducting research in natural hazards using grass (see foss4g presentations from Bangkok to Denver).
In any case if you think someone else is more appropriate I'm ready to make a step back.

Maxi

Il giorno 28/mag/2012 00:01, "Markus Neteler" <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
[...]

Dylan Beaudette
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Paul Kelly
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Markus,
> Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be done.
> RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:
>
> "Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection of
> Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."
>
> I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few years
> now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of GIS - so
> I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at any time.
> It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific date every
> year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to continue is a great
> idea.
>
> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it
> could simply be an informal rule. If any PSC members aren't willing to
> continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
> by the chair. I do think it's important to have a specific date every year
> that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and
> someone might be away on holiday for example.
>
> To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would
> suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".
>
> Apart from that, great work.
>
> Best regards
>
> Paul

I agree with Paul. Unfortunately I am in a similar situation, and
cannot really dedicate enough time to GRASS to justify being on the
PSC. I can see this situation changing in the near future, but I am
sure that there are others out there who have more time to dedicate to
the project. I'll continue to lurk on the mailing list and eventually
get back into GRASS development.

Thanks for all of the hard work!

Dylan

Re: PSC management

Markus Neteler
Hi Paul, all,

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 11:15 AM, Paul Kelly
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> Great that we're talking about this - definitely something needs to be done.

Thanks for your immediate reply.

> RFC 1 says in regard to the composition of the PSC:
>
> "Addition and removal of members from the committee, as well as selection of
> Chair is handled as a proposal to the committee as described above."

Yes, amusingly this "described above" points to nowhere. So one new
phrase is needed closing the gap.

> I unfortunately haven't had the time to contribute to GRASS for a few years
> now, primarily because my work has taken me away from the field of GIS - so
> I would be happy to propose myself to be removed from the PSC at any time.

It does not mean to be kicked of this open list!

General comment:
I just want to be the PSC a bit more active, i.e. proposing new ideas,
implementing more at outreach and so forth. May I felt a bit too much
talking to myself here in the past :)

> It's very easy to let these things drift, so I think a specific date every
> year at which PSC members can confirm their intention to continue is a great
> idea.

Agreed. Like this we get a rhythm.

> I'm not sure this really needs any changes to RFC 1 either - if desired, it
> could simply be an informal rule.

I believe that an addition is needed, especially to fix the currently broken
reference to "above" in the text.

> If any PSC members aren't willing to
> continue, then their removal from the PSC can be put forward as a proposal
> by the chair.

I dunno, this sounds much like "the chair kicks the sleepy members out".
See below for a proposal.

> I do think it's important to have a specific date every year
> that everyone knows about though, as five working days is quite short and
> someone might be away on holiday for example.

Sure - I put it this time to get something rolling :)

> To make it convenient for the changes you're proposing right now, I would
> suggest 1 June could be the annual "renewal date".

I would propose to add something like this phrase to RFC1:

"The PSC members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
This confirmation is expected by 1 June of each year. In case of lack
of this confirmation the member will be replaced."

[please put into real English, thanks]

> Apart from that, great work.

Great work of a great community!

Best
Markus

Re: PSC management

Markus Neteler
On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Massimiliano Cannata
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm interested in continue.
> Even though I'm not a core developer I feel I have demonstrated a
> substantial involvement in GRASS GIS (I) giving courses for engineers,
> architects and professionals (II) conducting research in natural hazards
> using grass (see foss4g presentations from Bangkok to Denver).
> In any case if you think someone else is more appropriate I'm ready to make
> a step back.

Please don't since all kinds of contributions are important, not only coding.

Thanks also to Scott, Michael and Dylan for their replies.
(Helena is on the road but was in Prague discussing this topic).
Yann replied offlist to me that he is stepping back but also that he
hopes to come back.

Some members didn't answer yet:
http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/PSC

Best
Markus

Re: PSC management

Helena Mitasova-7
I agree with Markus that PSC should have members involved in all kinds
of contributions
and who have enough time to keep up with the new developments and discussions
about important issues.

I am still on the road (currently in Bratislava) and I should be back
to work in mid June.

I would like to confirm my interest to continue as member of PSC.

Helena

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Massimiliano Cannata
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm interested in continue.
>> Even though I'm not a core developer I feel I have demonstrated a
>> substantial involvement in GRASS GIS (I) giving courses for engineers,
>> architects and professionals (II) conducting research in natural hazards
>> using grass (see foss4g presentations from Bangkok to Denver).
>> In any case if you think someone else is more appropriate I'm ready to make
>> a step back.
>
> Please don't since all kinds of contributions are important, not only coding.
>
> Thanks also to Scott, Michael and Dylan for their replies.
> (Helena is on the road but was in Prague discussing this topic).
> Yann replied offlist to me that he is stepping back but also that he
> hopes to come back.
>
> Some members didn't answer yet:
> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/PSC
>
> Best
> Markus

Helena Mitasova
Associate Professor
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/

email: [hidden email]
ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
fax 919 515-7802

Re: PSC management

Michael Barton
I also agree. All of us have other lives and cannot contribute full time to GRASS. And our availability varies a lot over time. But it is the diversity of expertise and activities that makes this community successful.

Michael Barton
School of Human Evolution &Social Change
Center for Social Dynamics & Complexity
Arizona State University

...Sent from my iPad

On May 30, 2012, at 10:11 PM, "Helena Mitasova" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Markus that PSC should have members involved in all kinds
> of contributions
> and who have enough time to keep up with the new developments and discussions
> about important issues.
>
> I am still on the road (currently in Bratislava) and I should be back
> to work in mid June.
>
> I would like to confirm my interest to continue as member of PSC.
>
> Helena
>
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM, Massimiliano Cannata
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm interested in continue.
>>> Even though I'm not a core developer I feel I have demonstrated a
>>> substantial involvement in GRASS GIS (I) giving courses for engineers,
>>> architects and professionals (II) conducting research in natural hazards
>>> using grass (see foss4g presentations from Bangkok to Denver).
>>> In any case if you think someone else is more appropriate I'm ready to make
>>> a step back.
>>
>> Please don't since all kinds of contributions are important, not only coding.
>>
>> Thanks also to Scott, Michael and Dylan for their replies.
>> (Helena is on the road but was in Prague discussing this topic).
>> Yann replied offlist to me that he is stepping back but also that he
>> hopes to come back.
>>
>> Some members didn't answer yet:
>> http://grass.osgeo.org/wiki/PSC
>>
>> Best
>> Markus

> Helena Mitasova
> Associate Professor
> Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
> North Carolina State University
> 1125 Jordan Hall
> NCSU Box 8208
> Raleigh, NC 27695-8208
> http://skagit.meas.ncsu.edu/~helena/
>
> email: [hidden email]
> ph: 919-513-1327 (no voicemail)
> fax 919 515-7802

Re: PSC management

Markus Neteler
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I also agree. All of us have other lives and cannot contribute full time to GRASS.
> And our availability varies a lot over time.

Sure, but there is still much space between essentially doing nothing and doing
something... :)

> But it is the diversity of expertise and activities that makes this community successful.

I fully agree.

Markus

Re: PSC management

Michael Barton
This all sounds reasonable to me. Here is some editing of the clause you proposed. I gave a two week grace period, but you can eliminate it or extend it as seems best.

"PSC members are requested to confirm annually (via email to the PSC mailing list) their interest in continuing active involvement in the PSC. This confirmation of continuation of PSC membership should be sent to the Chair of the PSC by 1 June of each year. If a PSC member does not confirm his/her desire to continue on the PSC within two weeks of 1 June, that member will be replaced."

Michael

_____________________

On May 30, 2012, at 10:35 PM, Markus Neteler wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Michael Barton <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I also agree. All of us have other lives and cannot contribute full time to GRASS.
>> And our availability varies a lot over time.
>
> Sure, but there is still much space between essentially doing nothing and doing
> something... :)

Indeed.

Michael

_____________________
C. Michael Barton
Visiting Scientist, Integrated Science Program
National Center for Atmospheric Research &
University Consortium for Atmospheric Research
303-497-2889 (voice)

Arizona State University

Re: PSC management

hamish-2

just a short note to ensure my ongoing interest in this conversation and
continued interest in serving on the PSC as I haven't said much yet. I'd
prepared a longer email earlier, but some quick points to make for now:

Markus, were you thinking of RFC4 as a patch or a replacement for RFC1?

Anyways it is good to breath new life in every now and then, but we must
also be deliberate and follow the RFCs already passed.

Also I think it's incredibly valuable to keep still interested but no
longer actively contributing devs around as they provide a strong sense
of perspective sometimes not able to be seen by those actively "amongst
the trees".  It helps stop a lot of reinventing the wheel as well. :-)
So I hope they stick around, the guidance and experience of elders is
near impossible to replace.

As for non-communicative (in years) formerly active contributers, what else
can we do but wish them the best and nominate some new blood to replace
them? Any move to do that though has to come through a formal proposal and
vote by the PSC though.

As others have mentioned, many of us travel into the field for many weeks
at a time, far from internet access, and so short-term automatic timeouts
are problematic. We should revisit the proposed RFC3 to tighten up voting
procedures if there is concern of important decisions languishing.
A week is perhaps too short a period, and a month too long to wait, so
I'm happy with Michael's proposal of two weeks before possible voting
closes.

For the role of the PSC, I see it as a bit of a mark of success that it
has not been called up very much! It means that our dev team is self-
regulating well and taking on the leadership role -- & this is a Very Good
Thing. I have deep reservations about instituting a system where an elite
cabal is seen to (even if it is just a mis-perception) be running the
show, and new devs have little chance to contribute. And so I have been
very happy to see GRASS lead by the developers not by PSC dictates, as
we explicitly specified in RFC1:

"For controversial or complicated changes consensus must be obtained on
the developers' mailing list as far as reasonably practicable. It is
recognised that the ultimate arbitration on technical issues should always
lie with consensus on the developers' mailing list. Specifically, it is
not the role of the PSC to impose technical solutions. Its role is in
general limited to enforcing the quality control mechanisms outlined above."

(i.e. maintaining and enforcing submitting guidelines and licensing rules,
and granting write access)

Open for minor tweaks, sure, but I don't think that RFC1 is excessively
broken and that major edits to it are needed to revitalize the PSC.

more thoughts later,

best,
Hamish

Re: PSC management

Maciej Sieczka
W dniu 28.05.2012 00:01, Markus Neteler pisze:
> Dear PSC members,

Hi Markus, Guys,

I'm stepping down. I don't have much to do with GIS at present and I
don't contribute anything valuable to GRASS anymore. Maybe some
other time again.

Godspeed!
Maciek

--
Maciej Sieczka
http://www.sieczka.org

Re: PSC management

Markus Neteler
Dear Maciej,

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Maciej Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> W dniu 28.05.2012 00:01, Markus Neteler pisze:
>>
>> Dear PSC members,
>

> Hi Markus, Guys,
>
> I'm stepping down. I don't have much to do with GIS at present and I
> don't contribute anything valuable to GRASS anymore. Maybe some
> other time again.
>
> Godspeed!
> Maciek

Thanks for all your enormous contributions to GRASS and its community.
Please keep subscribed - even one comment per year is valuable! :)

Best
Markus

Re: PSC management

Maciej Sieczka
W dniu 2012-06-01 09:39, Markus Neteler napisał(a):

> Thanks for all your enormous contributions to GRASS and its
> community.

Naah. Let's call it "some" instead :).

Thanks for "letting me in" those few years ago. GRASS project exposed
me to the way of thinking and working of so many knowledgeable
individuals. This was one of the best things in my life. If it wasn't
GRASS, GNU/Linux and FOSS in general, I would be much worse off, in many
ways.

Cheers from the cold Polish seaside to Everyone!

--
Maciej Sieczka
http://www.sieczka.org

Re: PSC management

Dylan Beaudette
Quoth Markus N.:

"The PSC members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
This confirmation is expected by 1 June of each year. In case of lack
of this confirmation the member will be replaced."

That sounds just about right. Here is a slightly altered version:

Members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
This confirmation is expected annually, by June 1st. In the absence of
such confirmation, nominations will open for a replacement by XXX
(June 15th?).

Dylan

PS: currently pushing to get GRASS re-established within the first
(non-military) US agency that actively used GRASS-- many many years
ago.

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:58 AM, Maciej Sieczka <[hidden email]> wrote:

> W dniu 2012-06-01 09:39, Markus Neteler napisał(a):
>

>> Thanks for all your enormous contributions to GRASS and its community.
>

> Naah. Let's call it "some" instead :).
>
> Thanks for "letting me in" those few years ago. GRASS project exposed me to the way of thinking and working of so many knowledgeable individuals. This was one of the best things in my life. If it wasn't GRASS, GNU/Linux and FOSS in general, I would be much worse off, in many ways.
>
> Cheers from the cold Polish seaside to Everyone!
>

> --
> Maciej Sieczka
> http://www.sieczka.org

Dylan E. Beaudette
USDA-NRCS Soil Scientist
California Soil Resource Lab
http://casoilresource.lawr.ucdavis.edu/

Re: PSC management

hamish-2
> Quoth Markus N.:
>> "The PSC members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
>> PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active involvement in the PSC.
>> This confirmation is expected by 1 June of each year. In case of lack
>> of this confirmation the member will be replaced."

Dylan:
> That sounds just about right. Here is a slightly altered
> version:
>
> Members are requested to annually confirm (via email to the
> PSC mailing list) the continuation of their active
> involvement in the PSC. This confirmation is expected annually,
> by June 1st. In the absence of such confirmation, nominations
> will open for a replacement by XXX (June 15th?).

I would simplify as much as possible, add the reasoning, and leave off
the the fine-detail procedural stuff:

"In order to keep the PSC fresh, members will annually confirm their
continued involvement. This should happen by June 1st of each year,
afterwhich nominations for their replacement may commence at the
discretion of the chair. They are not replaced, and retain voting rights,
until such point as their replacement member is formally accepted."

Overly-automatic timeouts are poor management IMO, it puts the burden onto
the ruleset instead of the humans. Maybe that avoids some personal
confrontation, but is a bit of a cop-out of our responsibilities IMO.

best,
Hamish
12