PSC elections

12

PSC elections

Moritz Lennert
Dear Hernán,

Thanks for accepting the role as CRO ! We will obviously support you in whatever ways necessary.

The first step would now be to define a calendar and to update the wiki page.

@MarkusN, do we have a dedicated email address for the CRO ?

@Nikos, as you were the CRO at the last election, maybe you have some advice for Hernán ?

Moritz

Re: PSC elections

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020
Thank you Moritz,

I have now subscribed to the psc list as well.

/H.

On 2020-12-11 11:08, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Dear Hernán,
>
> Thanks for accepting the role as CRO ! We will obviously support you in whatever ways necessary.
>
> The first step would now be to define a calendar and to update the wiki page.
>
> @MarkusN, do we have a dedicated email address for the CRO ?
>
> @Nikos, as you were the CRO at the last election, maybe you have some advice for Hernán ?
>
> Moritz

Re: PSC elections

Markus Neteler
On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM Moritz Lennert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Hernán,
>
> Thanks for accepting the role as CRO ! We will obviously support you in whatever ways necessary.

Thanks, Hernán!

> The first step would now be to define a calendar and to update the wiki page.
>
> @MarkusN, do we have a dedicated email address for the CRO ?

Now yes: <cro.grass - osgeo.org>
(https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2540)

This is just an email reflector (alias), not a mailbox!
It currently points to Hernán's email address, test email sent.

> @Nikos, as you were the CRO at the last election, maybe you have some advice for Hernán ?

Hi Nikos, your insights are welcome.

Markus

Re: PSC elections

NikosAlexandris
Dear Hernán,

Congratulations for taking over this important role.
I think Moritz already shared the link(s) to notes of the last election.

Allow me please to share the following thoughts.

Elections are a corner-stone for any project and they should be given
the attention they deserve. 'GRASS GIS' is a somewhat compact group and
this helps often to get things done. Nevertheless, giving value and
transparency to the elections, and the PSC itself, can only support the
project's growth.

I would:

- try to inform and activate the community for participation.
- repeat and clarify the rules to the community with short messages,
obviously without becoming invasive. --  We all forget and some will
post, for example, their nomination directly to the list and not to the
CRO.
- invite community members to explain why they nominate someone for the
PSC
- invite nominees for 'self-defense': why does someone want to be a
member of the PSC?

Wishes for a fruitful election procedure.
Kind regards, Nikos

Re: PSC elections

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020

Dear Nikos,

Thank you for your message and considerations. I believe I understand the basis of this process.

It seems that we will need to update the 2020 Election wiki before we start. How do we proceed with that?

Best

Hernán

Re: PSC elections

Moritz Lennert
Hi Hernán,

Am 13. Dezember 2020 18:41:02 MEZ schrieb "Hernán De Angelis" <[hidden email]>:
>Dear Nikos,
>
>Thank you for your message and considerations. I believe I understand
>the basis of this process.
>
>It seems that we will need to update the 2020 Election wiki
><https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2020> before we start.
>How do we proceed with that?

If you don't have one already, you need an OSGeo User ID to log in:

https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/osgeo_userid/

While waiting for that, you should begin by defining the calendar (also based on your possible constraints).

In 2016 [1] we had a four week nomination period of which the last week was used to give candidates the opportunity to reevaluate if they really want to stand for elections. Then a one week period for the vote. So depending on when you can announce, this will mean mid-December to mid-January for nomination and then a week end of January for the vote.

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2016

Re: PSC elections

Markus Neteler
Dear all,

Moritz Lennert <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 13. Dez. 2020, 19:25:

In 2016 [1] we had a four week nomination period of which the last week was used to give candidates the opportunity to reevaluate if they really want to stand for elections. Then a one week period for the vote. So depending on when you can announce, this will mean mid-December to mid-January for nomination and then a week end of January for the vote.

We also need to define, perhaps in a better way than in 2016, who's eligible to vote.

Markus

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2016

Re: PSC elections

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020
Hi Moritz,

Fine, a request for an OSGEO UserId is on its way. I have no idea how
long this will take. Hope not long.

Moritz, your preliminary schedule proposal sounds fine to me. I can
start editing the wiki as soon I get an UserId.

/H.

On 2020-12-13 19:24, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Hi Hernán,
>
> Am 13. Dezember 2020 18:41:02 MEZ schrieb "Hernán De Angelis" <[hidden email]>:
>> Dear Nikos,
>>
>> Thank you for your message and considerations. I believe I understand
>> the basis of this process.
>>
>> It seems that we will need to update the 2020 Election wiki
>> <https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2020> before we start.
>> How do we proceed with that?
> If you don't have one already, you need an OSGeo User ID to log in:
>
> https://www.osgeo.org/community/getting-started-osgeo/osgeo_userid/
>
> While waiting for that, you should begin by defining the calendar (also based on your possible constraints).
>
> In 2016 [1] we had a four week nomination period of which the last week was used to give candidates the opportunity to reevaluate if they really want to stand for elections. Then a one week period for the vote. So depending on when you can announce, this will mean mid-December to mid-January for nomination and then a week end of January for the vote.
>
> Moritz
>

> [1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/PSC/Election2016

Re: PSC elections

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020

Hi again,

In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn access. This is perhaps outdated? In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?

/H.

Re: PSC elections

Markus Neteler
On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn access. This is perhaps outdated?

Yes, that's definitely outdated.

> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?

I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
(documentation, translation etc).

Does anyone know this tool for the identification of contributors (I
never tried)
https://allcontributors.org/

?

Markus

Re: PSC elections

Moritz Lennert

Am 13. Dezember 2020 20:36:05 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:

>On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn access. This is perhaps outdated?
>
>Yes, that's definitely outdated.
>
>> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?

Only merge rights (i.e. write access to the grass repository) seems very restrictive in current github PR times.

>I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
>(documentation, translation etc).

How to define this, though. In my eyes we should be as inclusive as reasonable.

Maybe we could say:

- All people with write access to any of the GRASS GIS repositories (i.e for example also including add-ons and website).
- All people that have already posted a pull request to github (possibly only those PR that have been merged)
- All people that have contributed to Transifex.

How does that sound?

>Does anyone know this tool for the identification of contributors (I
>never tried)
>https://allcontributors.org/

Sounds interesting, but probably only for github, or ? So not Transifex.

Moritz

Re: PSC elections

Veronica Andreo
Hi everyone,

El dom, 13 dic 2020 a las 21:19, Moritz Lennert (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Am 13. Dezember 2020 20:36:05 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:
>On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn access. This is perhaps outdated?
>
>Yes, that's definitely outdated.
>
>> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?

Only merge rights (i.e. write access to the grass repository) seems very restrictive in current github PR times.

Fully agreed! Last time, all of us in the contributors and contributors_extra files were given voting rights. We could also consider those in translators.csv. I don't remember if they were considered last time. I believe they were not.

>I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
>(documentation, translation etc).

How to define this, though. In my eyes we should be as inclusive as reasonable.

Maybe we could say:

- All people with write access to any of the GRASS GIS repositories (i.e for example also including add-ons and website).
- All people that have already posted a pull request to github (possibly only those PR that have been merged)
- All people that have contributed to Transifex.

+1!

I've been searching in Transifex, and found this: https://www.transifex.com/grass-gis/teams/. But, I'm not sure which number really represents those that have actually translated strings and most importantly how to easily get such a list.

What about those Google Code-In students that have contributed with screenshots and examples to manual pages, as well as those contributing tests?

cheers,
Vero

On 2020-12-13 23:12, Veronica Andreo wrote:
Hi everyone,

El dom, 13 dic 2020 a las 21:19, Moritz Lennert (<[hidden email]>) escribió:

Am 13. Dezember 2020 20:36:05 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler <[hidden email]>:
>On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi again,
>>
>> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn access. This is perhaps outdated?
>
>Yes, that's definitely outdated.
>
>> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?

Only merge rights (i.e. write access to the grass repository) seems very restrictive in current github PR times.

Fully agreed! Last time, all of us in the contributors and contributors_extra files were given voting rights. We could also consider those in translators.csv. I don't remember if they were considered last time. I believe they were not.

>I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
>(documentation, translation etc).

How to define this, though. In my eyes we should be as inclusive as reasonable.

Maybe we could say:

- All people with write access to any of the GRASS GIS repositories (i.e for example also including add-ons and website).
- All people that have already posted a pull request to github (possibly only those PR that have been merged)
- All people that have contributed to Transifex.

+1!

+1 to this too

A couple of related questions:

1. is there any easily accessible/searchable list over people who have the right to vote? How it is supposed the CRO will check this?

2. Now that we are talking about lists of names, at least in EU we have to follow GDPR. We should add somewhere a note stating that names are going to be stored and shown, and also describing how. Perhaps this is already considered?

/H.

Re: PSC elections

Moritz Lennert
On 14/12/20 09:44, Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020
wrote:

> On 2020-12-13 23:12, Veronica Andreo wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> El dom, 13 dic 2020 a las 21:19, Moritz Lennert
>> (<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>)
>> escribió:
>>

>>     Am 13. Dezember 2020 20:36:05 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler
>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>     >On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
>>     ><[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>     >>
>>     >> Hi again,
>>     >>
>>     >> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn
>>     access. This is perhaps outdated?
>>     >
>>     >Yes, that's definitely outdated.
>>     >
>>     >> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request
>>     in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?
>>
>>     Only merge rights (i.e. write access to the grass repository)
>>     seems very restrictive in current github PR times.
>>

>> Fully agreed! Last time, all of us in the contributors and
>> contributors_extra files were given voting rights. We could also
>> consider those in translators.csv. I don't remember if they were
>> considered last time. I believe they were not.
>>
>>     >I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
>>     >(documentation, translation etc).
>>
>>     How to define this, though. In my eyes we should be as inclusive
>>     as reasonable.
>>
>>     Maybe we could say:
>>
>>     - All people with write access to any of the GRASS GIS
>>     repositories (i.e for example also including add-ons and website).
>>     - All people that have already posted a pull request to github
>>     (possibly only those PR that have been merged)
>>     - All people that have contributed to Transifex.
>>

>> +1!
>>
> +1 to this too
>
> A couple of related questions:
>
> 1. is there any easily accessible/searchable list over people who have
> the right to vote? How it is supposed the CRO will check this?

The three files that Vero mentioned are all in the root of the github
repository:

https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors.csv
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors_extra.csv
https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/translators.csv

I don't know if there are many contributors of pull requests via github
that are not in those files, same for translators that might be active
on Transifex, but not in the relevant list.

@MarkusN what is the status of these lists ?

For github PR contributors, maybe the tool MarkusN mentioned could help
getting a list from github.

> 2. Now that we are talking about lists of names, at least in EU we have
> to follow GDPR. We should add somewhere a note stating that names are
> going to be stored and shown, and also describing how. Perhaps this is
> already considered?

We do not add anything to the three lists above, and they are already
public, so I don't think we have to worry about that too much.

Indepently of the election, in the context of GDPR we maybe have to send
a mail to all mailing lists reminding people that these lists exist and
that they can inform us if they want to be taken off. I'm really no GPDR
expert, though.

Moritz

Re: PSC elections

Moritz Lennert
On 14/12/20 12:43, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 14/12/20 09:44, Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2020-12-13 23:12, Veronica Andreo wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> El dom, 13 dic 2020 a las 21:19, Moritz Lennert
>>> (<[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>) escribió:
>>>

>>>     Am 13. Dezember 2020 20:36:05 MEZ schrieb Markus Neteler
>>>     <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>>     >On Sun, Dec 13, 2020 at 7:38 PM Hernán De Angelis
>>>     ><[hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>     >>
>>>     >> Hi again,
>>>     >>
>>>     >> In the wiki, eligible voters are defined as those with svn
>>>     access. This is perhaps outdated?
>>>     >
>>>     >Yes, that's definitely outdated.
>>>     >
>>>     >> In 2020 it should perhaps be those who can merge a pull request
>>>     in GitHub? Or should we choose another definition?
>>>
>>>     Only merge rights (i.e. write access to the grass repository)
>>>     seems very restrictive in current github PR times.
>>>

>>> Fully agreed! Last time, all of us in the contributors and
>>> contributors_extra files were given voting rights. We could also
>>> consider those in translators.csv. I don't remember if they were
>>> considered last time. I believe they were not.
>>>
>>>     >I believe that we should also recognize other contributions
>>>     >(documentation, translation etc).
>>>
>>>     How to define this, though. In my eyes we should be as inclusive
>>>     as reasonable.
>>>
>>>     Maybe we could say:
>>>
>>>     - All people with write access to any of the GRASS GIS
>>>     repositories (i.e for example also including add-ons and website).
>>>     - All people that have already posted a pull request to github
>>>     (possibly only those PR that have been merged)
>>>     - All people that have contributed to Transifex.
>>>

>>> +1!
>>>
>> +1 to this too
>>
>> A couple of related questions:
>>
>> 1. is there any easily accessible/searchable list over people who have
>> the right to vote? How it is supposed the CRO will check this?
>
> The three files that Vero mentioned are all in the root of the github
> repository:
>
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors.csv
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors_extra.csv
> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/translators.csv
>
> I don't know if there are many contributors of pull requests via github
> that are not in those files, same for translators that might be active
> on Transifex, but not in the relevant list.
>
> @MarkusN what is the status of these lists ?
>
> For github PR contributors, maybe the tool MarkusN mentioned could help
> getting a list from github.

Maybe we can start with an email to all mailing lists, informing
everyone that we consider these three files as our "electoral registry"
and that if anyone feels she or he should be in one of these files, that
they send a mail to the respective list informing us ?

On 2020-12-14 12:45, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> On 14/12/20 12:43, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> On 14/12/20 09:44, Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election
>> 2020 wrote:

>>> +1 to this too
>>>
>>> A couple of related questions:
>>>
>>> 1. is there any easily accessible/searchable list over people who
>>> have the right to vote? How it is supposed the CRO will check this?
>>
>> The three files that Vero mentioned are all in the root of the github
>> repository:
>>
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors.csv
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors_extra.csv
>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/translators.csv
>>
>> I don't know if there are many contributors of pull requests via
>> github that are not in those files, same for translators that might
>> be active on Transifex, but not in the relevant list.
>>
>> @MarkusN what is the status of these lists ?
>>
>> For github PR contributors, maybe the tool MarkusN mentioned could
>> help getting a list from github.
>>

> Maybe we can start with an email to all mailing lists, informing
> everyone that we consider these three files as our "electoral
> registry" and that if anyone feels she or he should be in one of these
> files, that they send a mail to the respective list informing us ?

I can do this at once if no one opposes.

/H.

PS. this email should have been sent one hour ago, but I was affected by
the google global crash of today. No it seems to work fine.

Re: PSC elections

Moritz Lennert

Am 14. Dezember 2020 13:54:35 MEZ schrieb "Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020" <[hidden email]>:

>On 2020-12-14 12:45, Moritz Lennert wrote:
>> On 14/12/20 12:43, Moritz Lennert wrote:

>>> The three files that Vero mentioned are all in the root of the github
>>> repository:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors.csv
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/contributors_extra.csv
>>> https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/blob/master/translators.csv
>>>
>>> I don't know if there are many contributors of pull requests via
>>> github that are not in those files, same for translators that might
>>> be active on Transifex, but not in the relevant list.
>>>
>>> @MarkusN what is the status of these lists ?
>>>
>>> For github PR contributors, maybe the tool MarkusN mentioned could
>>> help getting a list from github.
>>>

>> Maybe we can start with an email to all mailing lists, informing
>> everyone that we consider these three files as our "electoral
>> registry" and that if anyone feels she or he should be in one of these
>> files, that they send a mail to the respective list informing us ?
>>
>I can do this at once if no one opposes.

Non objection from my side.

On 2020-12-14 23:57, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> Am 14. Dezember 2020 13:54:35 MEZ schrieb "Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020" <[hidden email]>:

>>> Maybe we can start with an email to all mailing lists, informing
>>> everyone that we consider these three files as our "electoral
>>> registry" and that if anyone feels she or he should be in one of these
>>> files, that they send a mail to the respective list informing us ?
>>>
>> I can do this at once if no one opposes.
>
> Non objection from my side.

OK. An no other complaints received. So I guess we can proceed then.

/H.

SBL

Re: PSC elections

SBL
Just a little suggestion to consider for the process. Maybe it is worth thinking about not to put the entire PSC on election every time?
If e.g. only half of the PSC is put up for election every second or third year (meaning for 4 to 6 years periods) that might secure continuity. That is no concern I guess right now, but it could in theory be an advantage to avoid a hypothetical scenario where the entire PSC gets changed....

Cheers
Stefan

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Flists.osgeo.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fgrass-psc&amp;data=04%7C01%7C%7Cd7318f12a9ad47e509dc08d8a0d63ecb%7C6cef373021314901831055b3abf02c73%7C0%7C0%7C637436189351765565%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=IWk2NiXZVBNMlcZfaBefQOQLKxArXVPbi%2FYbkda4NG8%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: PSC elections

Chief Return Officer (CRO) - GRASS GIS election 2020
I should perhaps leave this to the more experienced members, but I
believe it is a good thing to strike a balance between continuity and
renewal.

/H.