PROJ4 (tm)

jody.garnett
Got an interesting request today asking about Proj4 trademark, and if the name "Proj" can be used by the Proj4j project.

I am not aware of the a trademark being obtained (although OSGeo can certainly do so on behalf of the MetaCRS project). Reviewing commit history shows an initial commit that already included a CHANGE-LOG stretching back to 95/9/10 for "cartographic projection software" :)

So the question is - does a TM exist for PROJ? If so who should I talk to, if not do we want to obtain one?
--
Jody Garnett

Re: PROJ4 (tm)

Frank Warmerdam
Jody,

I am not aware of a trademark. I don't see that we need one, and I am
somewhat dubious if we could get one for something as generate as
"Proj" or "Proj.4".

Best regards,
Frank

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Got an interesting request today asking about Proj4 trademark, and if the
> name "Proj" can be used by the Proj4j project.
>
> I am not aware of the a trademark being obtained (although OSGeo can
> certainly do so on behalf of the MetaCRS project). Reviewing commit history
> shows an initial commit that already included a CHANGE-LOG stretching back
> to 95/9/10 for "cartographic projection software" :)
>
> So the question is - does a TM exist for PROJ? If so who should I talk to,
> if not do we want to obtain one?
> --
> Jody Garnett

Re: PROJ4 (tm)

jody.garnett
I will point to this email thread and hope it is enough :)

We probably could get a trademark on PROJ (as trademarks are often for a specific industry).

--
Jody Garnett