[PROJ] proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Howard Butler-3
All,

It's good to have friends in high places. Paul Ramsey was able to encourage the owner of proj.org to donate the domain to our cause. The domain has been transferred to the OSGeo registrar and is currently in finalization at this time. Once that is complete (in the next few days), we can begin our transition from proj4.org to proj.org if the PSC is supportive of such a migration. I know I am!

I propose that we keep another GH page up at https://proj4.org that 301s -> https://proj.org for quite a while, and we adapt the CNAME of our current proj-docs repo to proj.org.  Hopefully the transition does not need to be any rougher than that. If we need an RFC and vote to do this, someone chime in and we can do so, but I think the sentiment is we've wanted proj.org all along and we are very glad to get it.

Thanks again to Paul Ramsey and the contributor of the domain (Paul can name him if that is ok). We really appreciate it!

Howard

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Kristian Evers-3
This is fantastic news! Thank you guys for working on this. Definitely a +1 from me. Although I don’t think an RFC is needed - this is in line with the rebranding to PROJ that’s been ongoing for a couple of years already.

I agree that a redirect from proj4.org is necessary. This would also be a good occasion to rename the GitHub repository from proj.4 to PROJ. According to [0] any old links will be redirected to the new URL of the repository.

/Kristian

On 30 May 2019, at 17:12, Howard Butler <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Even Rouault-2
> Once that is complete (in the next few days), we
> can begin our transition from proj4.org <http://proj4.org/> to proj.org
> <http://proj.org/> if the PSC is supportive of such a migration. I know I
> am!

A big +1

> If we need an RFC and vote to do this, someone chime
> in and we can do so, but I think the sentiment is we've wanted proj.org
> <http://proj.org/> all along and we are very glad to get it.

Seems overkill

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Mateusz Loskot
On 19-05-30 10:12:34, Howard Butler wrote:
>All,
>
>It's good to have friends in high places. Paul Ramsey was able to encourage the
>owner of proj.org <http://proj.org/> to donate the domain to our cause.

Paul, thank you!

Fingerprint=C081 EA1B 4AFB 7C19 38BA  9C88 928D 7C2A BB2A C1F2

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Howard Butler-3
All,

I have made the described migration changes, and DNS is currently in the process of sifting.

http://proj.org/ should work until the SSL certs from GitHub are all issued.

I will check back in 6 hours.

Howard

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Mike Taves
On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 09:19, Alan Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is great. What is the plan for the timing of renaming the github repo to PROJ?

I think GitHub repos can be renamed without too much disruption to forks.

Similar question: will the project name remain as PROJ.4, or rename to
PROJ to align with the current website and software name?

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Kristian Evers-2

> On 1 Jun 2019, at 06:00, Mike Taves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 09:19, Alan Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This is great. What is the plan for the timing of renaming the github repo to PROJ?
>
> I think GitHub repos can be renamed without too much disruption to forks.

Yes, GitHub makes sure to redirect old URL’s to the new address. I did some tests of
this a while back and couldn’t find any issues with it. I will change the GitHub project
name on Monday unless someone comes up with a good reason for not doing so in
the mean time.

> Similar question: will the project name remain as PROJ.4, or rename to
> PROJ to align with the current website and software name?

I think it’s time to purge the PROJ.4 altogether now. The only reason we kept
as the PROJ.4 project name was to align with the website URL. It was a work
around, nothing more. If anyone disagrees with this, please speak up.

/Kristian

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

jmckenna
Administrator
Awesome news!  I wonder if this should be mentioned somewhere on the new
site, on a history page (history can be lost and forgotten over time, or
hidden in mailing list archives).

Cool news!

-jeff

On 2019-05-30 11:12 AM, Howard Butler wrote:

> All,
>
> It's good to have friends in high places. Paul Ramsey was able to
> encourage the owner of proj.org <http://proj.org> to donate the domain
> to our cause. The domain has been transferred to the OSGeo registrar and
> is currently in finalization at this time. Once that is complete (in the
> next few days), we can begin our transition from proj4.org
> <http://proj4.org> to proj.org <http://proj.org> if the PSC is
> supportive of such a migration. I know I am!
>
> I propose that we keep another GH page up at https://proj4.org that 301s
> -> https://proj.org for quite a while, and we adapt the CNAME of our
> current proj-docs repo to proj.org <http://proj.org>.  Hopefully the
> transition does not need to be any rougher than that. If we need an RFC
> and vote to do this, someone chime in and we can do so, but I think the
> sentiment is we've wanted proj.org <http://proj.org> all along and we
> are very glad to get it.
>
> Thanks again to Paul Ramsey and the contributor of the domain (Paul can
> name him if that is ok). We really appreciate it!
>
> Howard
>
> ___

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Kristian Evers-2

Yes, GitHub makes sure to redirect old URL’s to the new address. I did some tests of
this a while back and couldn’t find any issues with it. I will change the GitHub project
name on Monday unless someone comes up with a good reason for not doing so in
the mean time.

I have now changed the repo name to PROJ (previously proj.4). New GitHub URL
is https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ. I have done a few tests on my local git clone
without updating the URL and URL-redirecting seems to be working fine. Please
let me know if you encounter any problems.

/Kristian

Re: proj4.org -> proj.org migration

Even Rouault-2
> I have now changed the repo name to PROJ (previously proj.4). New GitHub
> URL
 is https://github.com/OSGeo/PROJ. I have done a few tests on my local
> git clone without updating the URL and URL-redirecting seems to be working
> fine. Please let me know if you encounter any problems.

There was an issue with coveralls that was no longer updated, which prevented
the following step in Travis-CI, website building, to be run. So I've created
https://coveralls.io/github/OSGeo/PROJ and things are now back to work.
I guess we should now delete the old https://coveralls.io/github/OSGeo/proj.4
to avoid confusion ?
Similarly I've created https://ci.appveyor.com/project/OSGeo/PROJ, and