[PROJ] Proj 6.2 - release date fixed?

Nyall Dawson
Hi list,

Are proj release dates set in stone? Looking at the milestones on
github, I see that 6.2 is targeted for September. Is there any chance
this could be moved forward?

I'd like to push the QGIS Windows and Macos builds to use proj 6 (and
gdal 3) after the upcoming QGIS 3.8.1 patch release (due later this
week), so that we get maximum testing and feedback prior to the final
3.10 release (and just because things are so much better in the proj 6
world). While we could do this using the current proj 6.1 release, the
user experience is MUCH improved with 6.2 due to the availability of
scope and remark data.

Sooo.... any chance this schedule is flexible?

Regards,
Nyall

Re: Proj 6.2 - release date fixed?

Kristian Evers-2
Nyall,

When would you propose to have the release instead?

/Kristian

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 16:02, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nyall,
>
> When would you propose to have the release instead?

Well... master is nice and super stable currently. Or after your java
work lands?

Nyall

> /Kristian
>
> > On 16 Jul 2019, at 00:30, Nyall Dawson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Are proj release dates set in stone? Looking at the milestones on
> > github, I see that 6.2 is targeted for September. Is there any chance
> > this could be moved forward?
> >
> > I'd like to push the QGIS Windows and Macos builds to use proj 6 (and
> > gdal 3) after the upcoming QGIS 3.8.1 patch release (due later this
> > week), so that we get maximum testing and feedback prior to the final
> > 3.10 release (and just because things are so much better in the proj 6
> > world). While we could do this using the current proj 6.1 release, the
> > user experience is MUCH improved with 6.2 due to the availability of
> > scope and remark data.
> >
> > Sooo.... any chance this schedule is flexible?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nyall

Re: Proj 6.2 - release date fixed?

Kristian Evers-2
Between now and the scheduled September 1st release I don’t have much
time for preparing a new release. I will be vacationing for the majority of the
time and in the limited time that is left I have higher priority work that needs
to be done. So based on that alone I am inclined to say no, I am not going
To fast track the 6.2.0 release.

Looking at the QGIS release schedule it doesn’t seem catastrophic to me.
As far as I can tell you have 3.8.3 coming up September 13 and 3.10.0 on
October 25. That gives you a month of real world user exposure of the
PROJ6.2+GDAL3+QGIS combination. While it is not perfect, surely the most
immediate issues will be found within that timespan?

/Kristian

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 16:34, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Between now and the scheduled September 1st release I don’t have much
> time for preparing a new release. I will be vacationing for the majority of the
> time and in the limited time that is left I have higher priority work that needs
> to be done. So based on that alone I am inclined to say no, I am not going
> To fast track the 6.2.0 release.

Fair enough! Enjoy the vacations!

> Looking at the QGIS release schedule it doesn’t seem catastrophic to me.
> As far as I can tell you have 3.8.3 coming up September 13 and 3.10.0 on
> October 25. That gives you a month of real world user exposure of the
> PROJ6.2+GDAL3+QGIS combination. While it is not perfect, surely the most
> immediate issues will be found within that timespan?

There's no real issue with using proj 6.1 here, life is just better
with 6.2 :) I'm going to be pushing for the transition to happen
sometime over the next fortnight, so that the change will happen with
3.8.2. (I'm wanting maximum testing before the 3.10 LTR release).

Nyall