[PROJ] PROJ logo proposal

piko
Hi list,

Following a discussion with Kristian in late 2018 , i am glad to finally share a few logotypes for your consideration. I fully agree that PROJ needs a logo and that would be the perfect touch for upcoming incubation :)

This is a draft proposal at this stage, and i would be glad to work further on one particular logo that you may like, using the community feedbacks.

Please note:

- These are only logotypes. Logotexts can also be created, or the 'PROJ' word may be added to any of these (this involves we may select a particular open font).

- These are simple SVG shapes provided in black color for now
   (Colors can of course be proposed later on, if you like one of these)

- This work is licensed under CC BY-NC 4.0 at this stage, but i am happy to create new version using a more permissive license if needed.

- I have more SVG drafts based on the 'P' letter, as well as additional ideas using axis and coords elements, but i unfortunately can't shared them for now.

- I am sharing this document as PDF for the sake of simplicity, but i am happy to provide the source SVG at a later stage, along different formats so we could easily reuse it on website and OSGeo marketing material.

This is only a simple proposal and i hope you will like it.
I am looking for your feedbacks, and will be glad to use one of these in order to create the perfect logo, with colors and text.

Best regards,

Nick

Re: PROJ logo proposal

blammo
+1 for 1A and !E

bobb

On Sep 10, 2019, at 9:09 AM, Nicolas B. <[hidden email]> wrote:

Think Before You Click: This email originated outside our organization.

[...]

Re: EXTERNAL: PROJ logo proposal

Wells, Roger K.
1A for me

On 9/10/19 10:09 AM, Nicolas B. wrote:
[...]

Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos
221 Third St
Newport, RI 02840
401-847-4210 (voice)
401-849-1585 (fax)

Re: PROJ logo proposal

Sebastiaan Couwenberg
On 9/10/19 4:09 PM, Nicolas B. wrote:
> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/proj/PROJ_logo_proposal.pdf
The CC-BY-NC license makes the logo non-free because it discriminates
against fields of endeavour (commercial use).

CC-BY or CC-BY-SA v3 or later is a better choice.

See also: https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: PROJ logo proposal

piko
Hi Sebastiaan,

Thank you for sharing your concern about licensing.

I deliberately selected the CC BY-NC license in order to protect my ideas a bit, while the PSC will collect different logos.

You may guess that other designers may jump in, and i am especially not comfortable with those external to our community seeking to sell graphic design ( see https://twitter.com/kojxzGFX/status/1171372239972757504 for example ..).

I am doing design work for OSGeo on my free time and on a volunteer basis, so i wouldn't like if someone would 'steal' and resell these ideas anywhere else :)
Sorry for such paranoia, but it happens all the time, especially during logo contests and on **not recommended at all** creative platforms...

That said, i will be most delighted to provide the final logo as CC-BY-SA, if any.
I hope you still like the proposed logos :)  Is any of them got your preference ?

Best,

Nick

Le mar. 10 sept. 2019 à 16:50, Sebastiaan Couwenberg <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On 9/10/19 4:09 PM, Nicolas B. wrote:
> https://nbozon.github.io/OSGeo/proj/PROJ_logo_proposal.pdf
The CC-BY-NC license makes the logo non-free because it discriminates
against fields of endeavour (commercial use).

CC-BY or CC-BY-SA v3 or later is a better choice.

See also: https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: PROJ logo proposal

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Thanks Nicolas for the proposals.

I will propose some as well in a couple of days.

On 9/10/19 5:47 PM, Nicolas B. wrote:
> That said, i will be most delighted to provide the final logo as CC-BY-SA,
> if any.

That must definitely happen if the logo will be included in the PROJ
release tarballs, otherwise those will need to be repacked to exclude
the logo to make them acceptable for inclusion in the Debian archive.

> I hope you still like the proposed logos :)  Is any of them got your
> preference ?
Yes, 1A because it's neutral unlike 1B which only shows the Americas.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1

Re: PROJ logo proposal

Jochem

Hi Nick,

+1 for 1A

I like the idea of a letter P consisting of a ruler and a globe too. So, I am interested in your additional drafts.

Kind regards, Jochem

[...]

Disclaimer:
De inhoud van dit bericht is uitsluitend bestemd voor geadresseerde.
Gebruik van de inhoud van dit bericht door anderen zonder toestemming van het Kadaster
is onrechtmatig. Mocht dit bericht ten onrechte bij u terecht komen, dan verzoeken wij u
dit direct te melden aan de verzender en het bericht te vernietigen.
Aan de inhoud van dit bericht kunnen geen rechten worden ontleend.

Disclaimer:
The content of this message is meant to be received by the addressee only.
Use of the content of this message by anyone other than the addressee without the consent
of the Kadaster is unlawful. If you have received this message, but are not the addressee,
please contact the sender immediately and destroy the message.
No rights can be derived from the content of this message.

Re: PROJ logo proposal

mj10777
I am surprised that 2A (Ruler with Globe that forms the letter 'P') up to now has not been considered a favorite.