[PROJ] Code of conduct

Kristian Evers-3
PROJ is very close to graduating as an OSGeo project. On the Incubation
mailing list [0] Jody has asked that the project adopt a code of conduct.
This is a new requirement for OSGeo projects that has not yet been added
to the incubation checklist. OSGeo more or less enforces the use of the
Contributor Covenant code of conduct[1][2].

The wording in the Contributor Covenant has been carefully chosen and
reviewed by a large audience. Personally I think it contains solid principles
for a community like ours to follow.

I have prepared a pull request [3] with the necessary changes to adopt the
code of conduct. I will not merge it before we’ve had a discussion about the
code of conduct and it’s use in the PROJ community. I believe adopting a
CoC is substantial enough decision for the project that it warrants a PSC vote.

Please share your thoughts on adopting a code of conduct.

/Kristian

Re: Code of conduct

Even Rouault-2
On jeudi 17 octobre 2019 21:24:02 CEST Kristian Evers wrote:

> PROJ is very close to graduating as an OSGeo project. On the Incubation
> mailing list [0] Jody has asked that the project adopt a code of conduct.
> This is a new requirement for OSGeo projects that has not yet been added
> to the incubation checklist. OSGeo more or less enforces the use of the
> Contributor Covenant code of conduct[1][2].
>
> The wording in the Contributor Covenant has been carefully chosen and
> reviewed by a large audience. Personally I think it contains solid
> principles for a community like ours to follow.
>
> I have prepared a pull request [3] with the necessary changes to adopt the
> code of conduct. I will not merge it before we’ve had a discussion about the
> code of conduct and it’s use in the PROJ community. I believe adopting a
> CoC is substantial enough decision for the project that it warrants a PSC
> vote.
>
> Please share your thoughts on adopting a code of conduct.

+1 for Contributor Covenant

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: Code of conduct

Howard Butler-3

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 2:36 PM Even Rouault <[hidden email]> wrote:
On jeudi 17 octobre 2019 21:24:02 CEST Kristian Evers wrote:
> PROJ is very close to graduating as an OSGeo project. On the Incubation
> mailing list [0] Jody has asked that the project adopt a code of conduct.
> This is a new requirement for OSGeo projects that has not yet been added
> to the incubation checklist. OSGeo more or less enforces the use of the
> Contributor Covenant code of conduct[1][2].
>
> The wording in the Contributor Covenant has been carefully chosen and
> reviewed by a large audience. Personally I think it contains solid
> principles for a community like ours to follow.
>
> I have prepared a pull request [3] with the necessary changes to adopt the
> code of conduct. I will not merge it before we’ve had a discussion about the
> code of conduct and it’s use in the PROJ community. I believe adopting a
> CoC is substantial enough decision for the project that it warrants a PSC
> vote.
>
> Please share your thoughts on adopting a code of conduct.

+1 for Contributor Covenant

+1 for adoption, contingent on updating relevant email addresses to forward to proper locations.

Re: Code of conduct

Kurt Schwehr-2
+1 Kurt

Maybe hold off on submitting the pull request until it's had some time (maybe a week?) for people to speak up?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:24 PM Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Martin Desruisseaux-3
Le 17/10/2019 à 21:24, Kristian Evers a écrit :

> PROJ is very close to graduating as an OSGeo project

3 weeks ago, Roger told me that they have an outstanding action to
respond to PROJ's request for a statement from IOGP, and that they are
trying to make some changes to their current terms of use to clarify
their expectations. Do we want to wait for their outcome?

In previous discussion it has been said that PROJ complies with EPSG
terms of use, which is a very good thing. But it gives a right to
redistribute, not to relicense.

     Regards,

         Martin

Re: Code of conduct

Howard Butler-3

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:20 PM Martin Desruisseaux <[hidden email]> wrote:
3 weeks ago, Roger told me that they have an outstanding action to
respond to PROJ's request for a statement from IOGP, and that they are
trying to make some changes to their current terms of use to clarify
their expectations. Do we want to wait for their outcome?

Any activity from IOGP isn't going to change PROJ's project situation in regard to OSGeo incubation. While this is an issue to monitor, it isn't one to hold things up.

Howard

[PROJ] EPSG (was: Code of conduct)

Martin Desruisseaux-3

Note: my concern is only about EPSG dataset. Everything else in PROJ look all clean for every parts I'm familiar with.

Le 18/10/2019 à 15:00, Howard Butler a écrit :

Any activity from IOGP isn't going to change PROJ's project situation in regard to OSGeo incubation. While this is an issue to monitor, it isn't one to hold things up.

It depends if a graduation goal is to assert that PROJ is legally clean. If yes, then I see this choice:

  • PROJ can redistribute EPSG dataset under EPSG Terms of Use.
  • If PROJ wants to relicense EPSG dataset (i.e. suppress EPSG Terms of Use and put MIT license in place, which is my understanding of ticket #2268 [1]), then we need IOGP explicit authorization. Most OpenSource licenses do not allow relicensing neither (except by the author); even the MIT license does not allow that (note: MIT allows sub-licensing, but this is different than re-licensing).

If resolving legal issues is not a graduation goal, then indeed my remark is not relevant to the graduation process.

    Martin

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2268

Re: EPSG

Cameron Shorter

I haven't formed an opinion on this thread yet, but I think it is worthy of highlighting to the incubation committee, and is possibly a reason to delay PROJ graduation.

On 19/10/19 4:39 am, Martin Desruisseaux wrote:

[...]

Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254