[PROJ] A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Hi,

Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :

I've started with the Phi symbol (suggestion of Even & Kristian), and i've let my hand draw what's come into my mind.

I've tried many styles, and of course we can change colors, fonts, add or remove the "proj" word.

Thanks for the feedbacks.

Sylvain.

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Even Rouault-2
On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Kristian Evers-2

Thanks Sylvain,

These are indeed some good logo proposals. Like Even I also like the 2B/9A logo. I also like the 5B version. It would be interesting to see a combination of 5B and 9A. I like the wireframe globe and the red from 5B.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Kristian,

I've added a new version there http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos_3.png including your suggestion (9B)

Le lun. 16 sept. 2019 à 09:51, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thanks Sylvain,

These are indeed some good logo proposals. Like Even I also like the 2B/9A logo. I also like the 5B version. It would be interesting to see a combination of 5B and 9A. I like the wireframe globe and the red from 5B.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Kristian Evers-2

Thank you! I’ve come to the conclusion that of your proposals I like 5B the best. I like the wire-frame globe and that the plane below it is sort of the projected footprint of the globe. Additionally I like that the colors are simple (no shades and gradients) which I believe is more suitable for a logo. Additionally the red can be replaced with other colors depending on the context, for instance the OSGeo website which uses a black and green colorscheme.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Thanks for the feedback  and suggestions.
Let's wait some more reactions of the community for my propositions, and also for the other's (Nicolas, Janne...) one.

Le lun. 16 sept. 2019 à 15:55, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you! I’ve come to the conclusion that of your proposals I like 5B the best. I like the wire-frame globe and that the plane below it is sort of the projected footprint of the globe. Additionally I like that the colors are simple (no shades and gradients) which I believe is more suitable for a logo. Additionally the red can be replaced with other colors depending on the context, for instance the OSGeo website which uses a black and green colorscheme.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Thomas Knudsen

I am unconvinced (or actually rather strictly against) the “globe and plane” style logo candidates: They focus too narrowly on the projection side of things, which is already indicated quite clearly through the name PROJ.

I kind of like 3C, with the phi and its shadow - the shadow somehow indicating a “related but not identical reference frame”, i.e. a datum shift.

I do, however, not like the shape of the phi (or actually “varphi”: phi is the “O with bar strikethrough” often used to indicate a clock phase): The very open-to-the-left varphi looks too much like the word “up”.

I would like the logo to indicate more clearly that geodesy is a four-dimensional science, and the operations PROJ provide support that.

So perhaps something like 3C, but with the letters “P R O J” casting the shadows “varphi lambda H t” - or for the sake of simplicity and recognizability in small sizes: Just the four letters “varphi lambda H t” on one line, and “P R O J” below that:

φλHt

PROJ

(where the phi was supposed to be a varphi)

It may be a challenge to make it work graphically, since varphi descends, and lambda, H and t ascends - but I am sure this can be made to work by someone more graphically skilled than myself.

/thomas

Den man. 16. sep. 2019 kl. 16.27 skrev Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]>:
Thanks for the feedback  and suggestions.
Let's wait some more reactions of the community for my propositions, and also for the other's (Nicolas, Janne...) one.

Le lun. 16 sept. 2019 à 15:55, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you! I’ve come to the conclusion that of your proposals I like 5B the best. I like the wire-frame globe and that the plane below it is sort of the projected footprint of the globe. Additionally I like that the colors are simple (no shades and gradients) which I believe is more suitable for a logo. Additionally the red can be replaced with other colors depending on the context, for instance the OSGeo website which uses a black and green colorscheme.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Hi,

Thanks Thomas for your feebacks.

Here are a few new tries (work in progress) : http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos_4.png (lines 10 and 11), inspired by your suggestions.

Sylvain.

Le mar. 17 sept. 2019 à 07:48, Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> a écrit :

I am unconvinced (or actually rather strictly against) the “globe and plane” style logo candidates: They focus too narrowly on the projection side of things, which is already indicated quite clearly through the name PROJ.

I kind of like 3C, with the phi and its shadow - the shadow somehow indicating a “related but not identical reference frame”, i.e. a datum shift.

I do, however, not like the shape of the phi (or actually “varphi”: phi is the “O with bar strikethrough” often used to indicate a clock phase): The very open-to-the-left varphi looks too much like the word “up”.

I would like the logo to indicate more clearly that geodesy is a four-dimensional science, and the operations PROJ provide support that.

So perhaps something like 3C, but with the letters “P R O J” casting the shadows “varphi lambda H t” - or for the sake of simplicity and recognizability in small sizes: Just the four letters “varphi lambda H t” on one line, and “P R O J” below that:

φλHt

PROJ

(where the phi was supposed to be a varphi)

It may be a challenge to make it work graphically, since varphi descends, and lambda, H and t ascends - but I am sure this can be made to work by someone more graphically skilled than myself.

/thomas

Den man. 16. sep. 2019 kl. 16.27 skrev Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]>:
Thanks for the feedback  and suggestions.
Let's wait some more reactions of the community for my propositions, and also for the other's (Nicolas, Janne...) one.

Le lun. 16 sept. 2019 à 15:55, Kristian Evers <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Thank you! I’ve come to the conclusion that of your proposals I like 5B the best. I like the wire-frame globe and that the plane below it is sort of the projected footprint of the globe. Additionally I like that the colors are simple (no shades and gradients) which I believe is more suitable for a logo. Additionally the red can be replaced with other colors depending on the context, for instance the OSGeo website which uses a black and green colorscheme.

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Christina Chortaria
Sylvain,

Thank you for taking the time to create these logos! My preference would be 9A and 9B (on a green plane).

Thank you again,
Christina

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Bonjour Sylvain,

Thanks for another batch of hard work from you!

10B works surprisingly well, with the phi giving a quite convincing impression of the Earth and its axis of rotation. It does, however, not really hit the 4D point.
11A is, in my opinion, very good - extremely clear, both graphically and communication wise. I would probably suggest a slightly darker shade of grey for the coordinate designations (but you have probably tried that and found it worse)
11B is a nice humorous take. I see why it probably won't work with a varphi instead of the plain phi - but would like to see that as well if you have tried it out already.

All in all, as of right now, I prefer the elegant, expressive and recognizable 11A, which will probably work extremely well in any size and angle, and provoke the right questions.

/thomas

Den tir. 17. sep. 2019 kl. 21.04 skrev Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Howard Butler-3
I think 10B is pretty great, it shrinks well, and the phi would make a good favicon. My only suggestion as a non-designer who knows nothing is to make the phi a little more "earthy", but I've no idea how to do that.

Logos that are little maps don't shrink very well, and they are non-descript from all the other geo logos that are little maps. 10B is abstract enough that it doesn't have that problem but it still communicates an essence about the project.

Thank you so much for these.

Howard

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 8:57 AM Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Howard, one way to make it "a little more earthy" would be to tilt the phi (and hence,
the imagined rotation axis) by 23 degrees (or whatever works best in practice) to mimic
the actual tilt of the Earth spin axis wrt the orbital plane. Not that "the average person"
would recognize the tilt of the earth - but they would recognize the tilt of a globe.

Den ons. 18. sep. 2019 kl. 16.20 skrev Howard Butler <[hidden email]>:
> [...]

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Duncan Agnew
I'll add a vote in favor of 10B: it is simple, distinctive (I think), and adequately suggestive--after all, there is only so much information you can imply in a logo (even that the phi is a phi and this is a meaningful variable). To get all of what is in proj, you'd need
glyphs for a a globe, a plane, and a time-dependent Helmert transformation--along with the name. Maybe proj needs a seal
a case of logo design gone bad, from my own institution).

I like the tilted phi idea.

Duncan Agnew

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 7:53 AM Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

/Kristian

Le sam. 14 sept. 2019 à 00:07, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Even,

I added your suggestion to the list (A9)

Le ven. 13 sept. 2019 à 23:49, Even Rouault <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On vendredi 13 septembre 2019 23:26:48 CEST Sylvain Beorchia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are some few propositions for the PROJ logo :
>
> http://dakitanmonkey.2tokiislands.com/proj_logos.png

Thanks Sylvain. My preference would go to 2B, but perhaps with a uppercase J.
Wondering if it wouldn't be better to enlarge a bit the green plane so that
all letters (especially the P) are on it ?

Mike Taves
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 02:53, Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Howard, one way to make it "a little more earthy" would be to tilt the phi (and hence,
> the imagined rotation axis) by 23 degrees (or whatever works best in practice) to mimic
> the actual tilt of the Earth spin axis wrt the orbital plane. Not that "the average person"
> would recognize the tilt of the earth - but they would recognize the tilt of a globe.

Here are examples of tilted earths that could resemble a tilted phi:
http://earthrotation.net/ners/doc/ners_how.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IERS

Great contributions, everyone!

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
Thanks for the feedback. I will add the suggestions to the list tonight.

Sylvain

Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019, Mike Taves <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 02:53, Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Howard, one way to make it "a little more earthy" would be to tilt the phi (and hence,
> the imagined rotation axis) by 23 degrees (or whatever works best in practice) to mimic
> the actual tilt of the Earth spin axis wrt the orbital plane. Not that "the average person"
> would recognize the tilt of the earth - but they would recognize the tilt of a globe.

Here are examples of tilted earths that could resemble a tilted phi:
http://earthrotation.net/ners/doc/ners_how.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IERS

Great contributions, everyone!

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

Sylvain Beorchia-3
New add-on (line 11, 12 & 13) based on many suggestions :

Thanks.

Le jeu. 19 sept. 2019 à 07:35, Sylvain Beorchia <[hidden email]> a écrit :
Thanks for the feedback. I will add the suggestions to the list tonight.

Sylvain

Le jeudi 19 septembre 2019, Mike Taves <[hidden email]> a écrit :
On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 02:53, Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Howard, one way to make it "a little more earthy" would be to tilt the phi (and hence,
> the imagined rotation axis) by 23 degrees (or whatever works best in practice) to mimic
> the actual tilt of the Earth spin axis wrt the orbital plane. Not that "the average person"
> would recognize the tilt of the earth - but they would recognize the tilt of a globe.

Here are examples of tilted earths that could resemble a tilted phi:
http://earthrotation.net/ners/doc/ners_how.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IERS

Great contributions, everyone!

Re: A few PROJ Logo propositions

J Luis

I like 7C better. It has the advantage of the aspect ratio (almost square).

Joaquim