Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

12

Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

"Peter Löwe"
Dear all,

this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo conferences.

I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview

It would be great if this information could be edited and extended by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.

Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.

Happy new 2016,
Peter

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Just van den Broecke
Dear Peter,

Thanks for initiating this! I've added the past 4 national conferences
(2012-2015), "OSGeo.nl Days", organized by alternating members of our
OSGeo Local Chapter/OSGeo.nl Foundation within The Netherlands.
Proceedings of the 2015 edition (held nov 25, 2015) are in the making!

And a happy 2016! Best,

Just van den Broecke (secretary OSGeo.nl Foundation)
http://osgeo.nl

On 01-01-16 17:31, "Peter Löwe" wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo conferences.
>
> I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview
>
> It would be great if this information could be edited and extended by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.
>
> Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.
>

> Happy new 2016,
> Peter

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

jody.garnett
Thanks Peter a great way to start 2016 :)

I can add a couple conferences (foss4g-au for example). Any idea of how "big" conferences should be to appear on the list and/or guidance on what we consider an OSGeo conference (ie does just having an OSGeo booth count - or is sponsoring or organization required).

--
Jody Garnett

On 1 January 2016 at 08:31, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jody,

happy new year to you ! My main drive was to document conference information (videos/proceedings)/POC at a central place.
 Any additional information about foss4g-AU and others will be much appreciated :-)

You are raising a very good question, which deserves to be answered by the Conference Committee. My simple take would be to document in the first place for all events which are genuinely organized from within OSGeo (and tackle OSGeo booths at other places later).

Best,
Peter

Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Sanghee Shin
Dear Peter,

Thanks for your initiating this.

I’ve added 4 past FOSS4G Korea conferences there[1] and I included discuss list here to attract more interest and participation from all around the world.

Happy new year. 새해 복 많이 받으십시오.

Kind regards,

신상희

[1]https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview#Republic_of_Korea
---
Shin, Sanghee
Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
http://www.gaia3d.com

> 2016. 1. 2., 오전 1:31, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> 작성:
>
> Dear all,
>
> this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo conferences.
>
> I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview
>
> It would be great if this information could be edited and extended by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.
>
> Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.
>

> Happy new 2016,
> Peter

Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Cameron Shorter
Hi Andrea,
Back in 2009 you did an excellent job of coordinating videoing of
FOSS4G. Looking back at video links from the conference program[1], it
seems the videos stored on blip.tv have suffered from link rot, and are
not available any more.
I don't suppose these videos are still available somewhere? And if so,
are we able to make them available to Peter Lowe?

http://2009.foss4g.org/presentations/

On 5/01/2016 4:30 pm, Sanghee Shin wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Thanks for your initiating this.
>
> I’ve added 4 past FOSS4G Korea conferences there[1] and I included discuss list here to attract more interest and participation from all around the world.
>
> Happy new year. 새해 복 많이 받으십시오.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> 신상희
>
> [1]https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview#Republic_of_Korea
> ---
> Shin, Sanghee
> Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
> http://www.gaia3d.com
>
>> 2016. 1. 2., 오전 1:31, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> 작성:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo conferences.
>>
>> I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview
>>
>> It would be great if this information could be edited and extended by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.
>>
>> Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.
>>

>> Happy new 2016,
>> Peter

Cameron Shorter,
Software and Data Solutions Manager
LISAsoft
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

"Peter Löwe"
Dear Cameron, dear Ross, all,

it would be great if videos from the 2009 conference could become available again as a citable information source for the OSGeo community and society.
My colleagues from TIB (German National Library of Science and Technology) can assist to make them permanently available in the TIB video portal (http://av.tib.eu) free of charge, enabling citation by Digital Object Indentifiers (DOI). TIB can provide advice on the licensing options (and pitfalls). It would be great if the videos could be made available under a CC Attribution - ShareAlike 3.0 licence, if possible.

best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 05. Januar 2016 um 10:31 Uhr
> Von: "Cameron Shorter" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Andrea Ross" <[hidden email]>, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "OSGeo Discussions" <[hidden email]>, conference <[hidden email]>, "osgeo-board List" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences
>
> Hi Andrea,
> Back in 2009 you did an excellent job of coordinating videoing of
> FOSS4G. Looking back at video links from the conference program[1], it
> seems the videos stored on blip.tv have suffered from link rot, and are
> not available any more.
> I don't suppose these videos are still available somewhere? And if so,
> are we able to make them available to Peter Lowe?
>
> http://2009.foss4g.org/presentations/
>
> On 5/01/2016 4:30 pm, Sanghee Shin wrote:
> > Dear Peter,
> >
> > Thanks for your initiating this.
> >
> > I’ve added 4 past FOSS4G Korea conferences there[1] and I included discuss list here to attract more interest and participation from all around the world.
> >
> > Happy new year. 새해 복 많이 받으십시오.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> >
> > 신상희
> >
> > [1]https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview#Republic_of_Korea
> > ---
> > Shin, Sanghee
> > Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
> > http://www.gaia3d.com
> >
> >> 2016. 1. 2., 오전 1:31, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> 작성:
> >>
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo conferences.
> >>
> >> I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
> >> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview
> >>
> >> It would be great if this information could be edited and extended by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.
> >>
> >> Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.
> >>

> >> Happy new 2016,
> >> Peter

> Cameron Shorter,
> Software and Data Solutions Manager
> LISAsoft
> Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
> 26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009
>
> P +61 2 9009 5000,  W www.lisasoft.com,  F +61 2 9009 5099

Re: [OSGeo-Conf] Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Andrea Ross
Dear Cameron,

Yeah, as you note, sadly blip.tv changed their business model and even
though FOSSLC was paying for hosting, they simply stopped offering the
service altogether, and the videos went off-line. This was actually
years ago and very few people noticed.

I went back to a backup archive to restore some particularly noteworthy
& timeless videos that people requested and upload them to YouTube. I
don't want to promise to do others as candidly the same effort applied
elsewhere is much more benefit.

Peter's group has been in touch with me regarding FOSS4G videos I have
recorded as well as other conferences I have recorded such as BSDCan,
PGCon, EclipseCon, and others. It looks very likely that moving forward,
at least for the ones I'm involved with in some way, they'll be both in
YouTube & the TIB archive which is great.

Kind regards,

Andrea

On 05/01/16 04:31, Cameron Shorter wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
> Back in 2009 you did an excellent job of coordinating videoing of
> FOSS4G. Looking back at video links from the conference program[1], it
> seems the videos stored on blip.tv have suffered from link rot, and
> are not available any more.
> I don't suppose these videos are still available somewhere? And if so,
> are we able to make them available to Peter Lowe?
>
> http://2009.foss4g.org/presentations/
>
> On 5/01/2016 4:30 pm, Sanghee Shin wrote:
>> Dear Peter,
>>
>> Thanks for your initiating this.
>>
>> I’ve added 4 past FOSS4G Korea conferences there[1] and I included
>> discuss list here to attract more interest and participation from all
>> around the world.
>>
>> Happy new year. 새해 복 많이 받으십시오.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> 신상희
>>
>> [1]https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview#Republic_of_Korea
>>
>> ---
>> Shin, Sanghee
>> Gaia3D, Inc. - The GeoSpatial Company
>> http://www.gaia3d.com
>>
>>> 2016. 1. 2., 오전 1:31, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> 작성:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> this is a follow up to the discussion in the conference list in late
>>> December regarding the lack of a concise overview over all OSGeo
>>> conferences.
>>>
>>> I set up a preliminary page for all OSGeo conferences here:
>>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview
>>>
>>> It would be great if this information could be edited and extended
>>> by the community, as the tables are far from complete. Conference
>>> proceedings and videos have been listed whenever possible.
>>>
>>> Please note this: The German National Library of Science and
>>> Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from
>>> a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing
>>> technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a
>>> free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via
>>> Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long
>>> term preserved video content is included in the tables.
>>>

>>> Happy new 2016,
>>> Peter

Links to the OSGeo conferences overview wiki page ?

"Peter Löwe"
Dear all,

the new OSGeo-conference overview wiki page has been growing rapidly. I would like to thank everybody who has added content to it in the last weeks. The number of listed conferences is already amazing and shows how much effort was put into OSGeo outreach over the years.

Until now the page (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview) is not being suitably linked and is therefore hard to find.

What would be appropriate places in the OSGeo-Wiki or -website to place links to this wiki page ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Links to the OSGeo conferences overview wiki page ?

Jorge Sanz (OSGeo)

Hi Peter, thanks for leading the creation of the wiki page!

I've referenced it from the OSGeo events site[1] and added also to the calendar from that page the GRASS event this February.

Remember to send events to [hidden email] with

- Name
- Location
- Dates
- Brief description
- Website

so we can have an updated calendar of FOSS4G related events that is available as an iCal[2] calendar and so on.

Cheers!!!

Sorry for previous empty email. Big fingers and working from a tablet on holidays = big chances for fail :-)

[1] http://www.osgeo.org/events
[2] http://www.osgeo.org/event/ical/all/all
--
Jorge Sanz

Sent from my phone, excuse my brevity.

El 6/1/2016 14:54, Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> escribió:
Dear all,

the new OSGeo-conference overview wiki page has been growing rapidly. I would like to thank everybody who has added content to it in the last weeks. The number of listed conferences is already amazing and shows how much effort was put into OSGeo outreach over the years.

Until now the page (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview) is not being suitably linked and is therefore hard to find.

What would be appropriate places in the OSGeo-Wiki or -website to place links to this wiki page ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Anita Graser
Dear Peter,

On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 5:31 PM, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please note this: The German National Library of Science and Technology ("TIB") (my employer) is collecting video recordings from a growing number of OSGeo conferences as part of the developing technological heritage. These videos are long term preserved as a free service and can be watched, searched, downloaded and cited via Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) by everybody. Links to already long term preserved video content is included in the tables.

​It would be great if you could also add the videos from the 2nd QGIS user conference (in conjunction with the Spanish FOSS4G): ​http://diobma.udg.edu/handle/10256.1/4268/browse

​Thank you and best wishes,
Anita

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Cameron Shorter

Hi Peter,

I'm pretty sure I have a local copy of all FOSS4G 2009 videos. (The online versions seem to have been taken down). If you know someone who would like a copy of these for long term storage, please ask them to get in touch with me.

Warm regards, Cameron

On 28/08/2016 6:55 AM, Anita Graser wrote:
[...]

Jirotech
Suite 112, Jones Bay Wharf,
26 - 32 Pirrama Rd, Pyrmont NSW 2009

P +61 2 8099 9000,  M +61 419 142 254, W www.jirotech.com

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Markus Neteler

Der all,

just FYI:

yesterday I added some more conferences to the new landing page

http://video.foss4g.org

I also added a TIB link.
More to come.

Best
Markus

Fw: Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

"Peter Löwe"
Dear Anita,

thanks for making this suggestion. I'm forwarding your request to the TIB staff in charge (Tolga Karaarslan and Sven Gottschalk). They will contact you for further details, if necessary. FWIW, is there also video footage from the first QGIS user conference available ?

Best,
Peter

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

"Peter Löwe"
Hi Cameron,

that would be excellent. TIB staff (cc) will contact you soon for details so  the conference vids can be preserved in the TIB|AV-portal.

Best,
Peter

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

"Peter Löwe"
Hi Markus,

thanks for taking action on this.
FWIW, stable links to the videos in the TIB portal for the FOSS4Gs of 2015,2014 and 2011 can be copied from here:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview

TIB continues to extend the number of video recordings from previous OSGeo conferences in the TIB|AV-Portal. Such additional videos are obtained from portals such as Youtube/Vimeo or the conference hosts themselves and are published in the TIV|AV-portal once the licencing (CC is preferred) and processing is completed. We don't have all videos from the past conferences (yet), but they will be included in the above mentioned stable links once they become available.

Cheers,
Peter

Re: Fw: Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Anita Graser
Hi Peter,

Thank you for forwarding my request!

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 11:10 AM, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
FWIW, is there also video footage from the first QGIS user conference available ?

​Afaik, there are no videos from the first conference, but Lene will know for sure.

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

Luca Delucchi
On 29 August 2016 at 11:29, "Peter Löwe" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Markus,

Hi Peter,

> thanks for taking action on this.
> FWIW, stable links to the videos in the TIB portal for the FOSS4Gs of
> 2015,2014 and 2011 can be copied from here:
> https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Global_conferences_overview

2015: 4 results
2014: no results
2013: seems ok
2011: no results

is it correct?

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

On 28 August 2016 at 12:49, Markus Neteler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Der all,

Dear Markus,

> just FYI:
>
> yesterday I added some more conferences to the new landing page
>
> http://video.foss4g.org

could we move the source code to one of existing git OSGeo services so
everyone could work on it, with few efforts we could add bootstrap
theme and make the landing page more attractive ;-)

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org

Re: Overview of all current FOSS4G conferences

jmckenna
Administrator
On 2016-08-29 11:51 AM, Luca Delucchi wrote:

>> http://video.foss4g.org
>>

> could we move the source code to one of existing git OSGeo services so
> everyone could work on it, with few efforts we could add bootstrap
> theme and make the landing page more attractive ;-)

Great idea Luca.  I'd like to see an improved landing page for
foss4g.org (I've been maintaining that static/boring html page), which
links to video.foss4g.org

I believe the foss4g.org source files live on the "webextra" VM in
/var/www/foss4g/main/   Could greatly be moved into git OSGeo.

-jeff

12