Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

gdrolet
Dear Ossim users,

First of all, I just want to mention that I have limited knowledge in photogrammetry, althought I understand the principles.

I have UltraCAM-D aerial photos which I would like to automatically (if possible) orthorectify using ortho-igen. The images are multiband TIF files files containing the inner orientation of the camera. Here is an example of the inner orientation part from gdalinfo:

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: JD07111_10613.TIF
Size is 11500, 7500
Coordinate System is `'
Metadata:
  TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION=Vexcel-UCD-Level-3
------------------
CAM_ID:                  UCD-SU-1-0034 [7]
RECORD_GUID:             EFAB198A-7230-41C0-AF88-EE3EE2D5CA69
IMG_NO:                  10613
CAPTURE_TIME:            2007/08/09 17:12:00.724
IMG_TYPE:                High resolution multi channel RGBI
ROTATION:                0 [degrees]
--- Inner Orientation ---------------
PRINCIPLE_DISTANCE:      101.400 [mm]
PRINCIPLE_POINT_X:        -0.180 [mm]
PRINCIPLE_POINT_Y:         0.270 [mm]
PIXEL_SIZE_WIDTH:          9.000 [microns]
PIXEL_SIZE_HEIGTH:         9.000 [microns]
SENSOR_AREA_WIDTH:       103.500 [mm]
SENSOR_AREA_HEIGHT:       67.500 [mm]
-------------------------------------

I don't have IMU/GPS data for the flights at my hand but this is something I can probably obtain.

I read the docs on ossimSensorModel and also a few threads on the forum about orthorectification of frame camera images. Correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that I need to 1) choose the appropriate sensor model (if one exists, otherwise I need to develop one for my camera), generate a geometry file with the right parameters for my images (interior/exterior orientation). Run ortho-igen, with my elevation rightly set up (that part is ok).

My three questions are:
1) For the UltraCAM, is there an existing sensor model that I could use? (ossimApplanixUtmModel?, ossimPpjFrameSensor?)
2) How do I create the geometry file for my images: can I do it interactively in, for example, ImageLinker?
3) What critical parameters do I need for orthorectification (e.g. roll, pitch, yaw, etc)?

Thanks a lot in advance for your support.

Best wishes,

Guillaume

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

David Burken
Hi Guillaume,

See comments below...

On 7/2/13 2:11 PM, Guillaume Drolet wrote:
[...]

You could use one of the frame models yes.
2) How do I create the geometry file for my images: can I do it interactively in, for example, ImageLinker?
That's the tricky part.  We don't have any interactive dialog box for that that I know of.  So you'd have to stuff a geometry file.

3) What critical parameters do I need for orthorectification (e.g. roll, pitch, yaw, etc)?

In addition to camera stuff you'd need as much platform position info as you can get.  I'll send you an applanix geometry file off the list just to give you an example.  We create an app "ossim-applanix2ogeom" to create from the support data collected.  You'll see there's a bunch of stuff in there...

Hope that helps,
Dave

Thanks a lot in advance for your support.

Best wishes,

Guillaume

Build for Windows Store.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

David Burken
Guillaume,

There's example Applanix geometry files in below link:

http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/browser/trunk/ossim/etc/templates

Dave

On 7/2/13 3:43 PM, David Burken wrote:
[...]

Hi Dave and Jon,

Thanks a lot for helping: this should be enough to get me started once I get the platform information.

Will let you know if I'm stuck!

Cheers,

Guillaume

Guillaume, There's example Applanix geometry files in below link: http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/browser/trunk/ossim/etc/templates Dave On 7/2/13 3:43 PM, David Burken wrote: > Hi Guillaume, > > See comments below... > > > On 7/2/13 2:11 PM, Guillaume Drolet wrote: >> Dear Ossim users, >> >> First of all, I just want to mention that I have limited knowledge in >> photogrammetry, althought I understand the principles. >> >> I have UltraCAM-D aerial photos which I would like to automatically >> (if possible) orthorectify using ortho-igen. The images are multiband >> TIF files files containing the inner orientation of the camera. Here >> is an example of the inner orientation part from gdalinfo: >> >> Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF >> Files: JD07111_10613.TIF >> Size is 11500, 7500 >> Coordinate System is `' >> Metadata: >> TIFFTAG_IMAGEDESCRIPTION=Vexcel-UCD-Level-3 >> ------------------ >> CAM_ID: UCD-SU-1-0034 [7] >> RECORD_GUID: EFAB198A-7230-41C0-AF88-EE3EE2D5CA69 >> IMG_NO: 10613 >> CAPTURE_TIME: 2007/08/09 17:12:00.724 >> IMG_TYPE: High resolution multi channel RGBI >> ROTATION: 0 [degrees] >> --- Inner Orientation --------------- >> PRINCIPLE_DISTANCE: 101.400 [mm] >> PRINCIPLE_POINT_X: -0.180 [mm] >> PRINCIPLE_POINT_Y: 0.270 [mm] >> PIXEL_SIZE_WIDTH: 9.000 [microns] >> PIXEL_SIZE_HEIGTH: 9.000 [microns] >> SENSOR_AREA_WIDTH: 103.500 [mm] >> SENSOR_AREA_HEIGHT: 67.500 [mm] >> ------------------------------------- >> >> I don't have IMU/GPS data for the flights at my hand but this is >> something I can probably obtain. >> >> I read the docs on ossimSensorModel and also a few threads on the >> forum about orthorectification of frame camera images. Correct me if >> I'm wrong but I understand that I need to 1) choose the appropriate >> sensor model (if one exists, otherwise I need to develop one for my >> camera), generate a geometry file with the right parameters for my >> images (interior/exterior orientation). Run ortho-igen, with my >> elevation rightly set up (that part is ok). >> >> My three questions are: >> 1) For the UltraCAM, is there an existing sensor model that I could >> use? (ossimApplanixUtmModel?, ossimPpjFrameSensor?) > You could use one of the frame models yes. >> 2) How do I create the geometry file for my images: can I do it >> interactively in, for example, ImageLinker? > That's the tricky part. We don't have any interactive dialog box for > that that I know of. So you'd have to stuff a geometry file. >> >> 3) What critical parameters do I need for orthorectification (e.g. >> roll, pitch, yaw, etc)? >> > In addition to camera stuff you'd need as much platform position info > as you can get. I'll send you an applanix geometry file off the list > just to give you an example. We create an app "ossim-applanix2ogeom" > to create from the support data collected. You'll see there's a bunch > of stuff in there... > > Hope that helps, > Dave > >> Thanks a lot in advance for your support. >> >> Best wishes, >> >> Guillaume >> >> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ >> This SF.net email is sponsored by Windows: >> >> Build for Windows Store. >> >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/windows-dev2dev >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> http://www.ossim.org >> Ossim-developer mailing list >> Ossim-developer@... >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/ossim-developer >

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

gdrolet

I finally succeeded in creating geometry files from an Applanix format EO file I created and the ossim-applanix2ogeom function. I also successfully used ossim-orthoigen to create an ortho image.

However, when I call ossim-applanix2ogeom <camera file> <eo file> with no other parameter, it doesn't create geom files for all the IDs in my EO file, as it is said in the function help:

imageToProcess  Image to create geometry for. If not present then all geometries are created.

If I specify an imageToProcess, then it creates the geom file for that image only. I also tried to set imageToProcess to *.TIF but the function doesn't seem to recognize wildcards. Any ideas why it doesn't process all files in my EO file if I don't specify an imageToProcess in my call to the function?

My system is Windows 7 and I'm using ossim-applanix2ogeom version 1.8.16

Thanks for helping!

Guillaume

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

oscarkramer
Gillaume:

Did you check in ossim/src/apps/ossim-applanix2ogeom/ossim-applanix2ogeom.cpp around line 300 for valid records in the EO file? Dump the values for nRecords and idIdx to see if the EO file is being parsed correctly. Check that everything is as expected inside that for-loop over nRecords.

Oscar

[...]

This electronic communication and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary information of DigitalGlobe, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, or an agent or employee responsible for delivering this Communication to the intended recipient, or if you have received this Communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this communication in error, and delete the copy you received. DigitalGlobe reserves the right to monitor any electronic communication sent or received by its employees, agents or representatives.

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

Andyjo

I took a quick look at the source, and it’s a little interesting the way it does things, but pretty much, functionality is triggered by number of arguments

The main if statement looks like this:

if(argc >4) {

// Process ArgumentIndices[3:Argc], assume output dir is the same as the EO file

} else if(argc <=4) {

// output dir is the last argument

} if(!outputDir.isDir()) {

// Process only the given file, and dump output to the last argument as a dir

} else {

// last argument is a file, not directory

// Process all records in the EO file, and dump output to same path as EO file

}

}

Hopefully that helps, it looks like you’re using the right syntax:

Can you confirm there is more than one entry in the EO file?

There is also a check to see if the record is valid – it might be failing there

Can you step through it in the debugger?

-Andy

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

gdrolet
Hi Andrew,

Yes, I confirm there is more than one entry in my EO file (see attached). What debugger are you referring to? I don't have MS Visual Studio if this is what you mean. Is there an ossim debugging tool that I don't know about?

Cheers,

Guillaume

2013/7/9 Andrew D. Johnson <[hidden email]>

[...]

Hi Jon,

I gave an output directory (.) as you said and it worked!

Thanks to all of you for the great support!

2013/7/9 Jon Sellars <[hidden email]>
[...]

Christian Langlois
Good day to all,

I'm a newbie and I'm having the same set-up as Guillaume. I'm using The Windows version of OSSIM, built 1.8.12

My main question for now is :
How or where do I get those Sensor Models and what is the good directory to put them in?

Thanks for your help,

Christian

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

David Burken
Hi Christian,

When an image is opened the factories will attempt to get a good image
geometry.  How that happens is up to the individual sensor models.  For
instance, nitf can have embedded rpc tags, where as some providers ship
tiff format with an external rpc files.  Some data, e.g. applanix you
need to generate an external geometry file. If we have a model for your
data it should pick it up. To see what we know of the image you can use:

ossim-info -i -d -p <your-image>

If we don't have a model you'd have to code...

Hope that helps,
Dave

On 08/06/2013 05:12 PM, Christian Langlois wrote:

> Good day to all,
>
> I'm a newbie and I'm having the same set-up as Guillaume. I'm using The
> Windows version of OSSIM, built 1.8.12
>
> My main question for now is :
> How or where do I get those Sensor Models and what is the good directory to
> put them in?
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Christian

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

Christian Langlois
Good Morning David,

Thank you for your reply.

From your answer, I have three questions :

1) How do I get to Command Line in the Windows version of OSSIM, in order to send the "ossim-info -i -d -p <your-image>" command?

2) I also have an issue with imagelinker :
I don't see the .tif images of my photos ( 10000X10000 pixels each ), but I can see them in iview. Nevertheless, in iview, it ask me first if I want to build reduced resolution data sets ( I answer no and the image comes in ). I Wonder if the .tif images are too big to see in imagelinker?

3) All of my .tif images ( aerial photos ) are already aerotriangulated. The output file for each photo is a .par file, usually the DVP format. Can I use the info in those .par files as in input to go directly to orthorectification?

In the meanwhile,

Thank you for your help,

Christian

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

oscarkramer
Christian,

Perhaps this document will help shed some light: http://download.osgeo.org/ossim/docs/pdfs/SensorModeling.pdf

Oscar

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

Christian Langlois
Good morning Oscar,

Tank you for your reply.

I Will take a look at thé référence you provided me.

Christian

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

Slavko
Hello everyone!

I'm tying to do the same thing as Guillaume Drelot. I have raw aerial images, camera calibration and EO (from triangulation project) and I want to create orthoimages.

I read documentation and developer guides (but it wasn't helpful since I'm not developer and I have no idea about C++) and threads on this forum, but I still have some problems.

I know that if there is no my sensor model I should code etc. but...

in earlier posts, G. Drolet said:
"I finally succeeded in creating geometry files from an Applanix format EO file I created and the ossim-applanix2ogeom function. I also successfully used ossim-orthoigen to create an ortho image."

So I assume that he didn't create new sensor model. He just fit his data to Applanix sensor model. I understand that he used ossim-applanix2ogeom function (which use camera file and applanix EO file) to generate .geom for each his image and then succeed to process his images.

My questions are:
1) from where he got camera file and applenix EO file? I cant find any templates. If there is none, can someone give me any clues?

2) there are 2 examples of applanix .geom file -> utf and ecef. Which one will I obtain if I use ossim-applanix2ogeom?

Should I change XYZ coordinates projection in my hypothetical EO file to one of those (e.g. utf)?
Or, can I use my coordinates normally and then just declare in ossim-ortoigen function proper EPSG code?

Thanks for help in advance.

Best regards
ST

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

David Burken
ST,

Added examples:

Pretty sure the ossim-applanix2ogeom will detect whether it's an ecef or utm eo file.  So the big question will be whether or not your eo files are in the expected format.  You might have to do some kind of converter if not.  If you pick up the model make sure your elevation is set up. Then you would just ortho out to whatever output projection you want.

http://trac.osgeo.org/ossim/wiki/ossimElevationSetup

Hope that helps,
Dave

Re: Orthorectification of UltraCAM D images

Slavko
Thank you for your replay and examples David. I didn't expect such a quick answer. I very appreciate that :)

I will try hard to use your advice and I will report my progress. I hope there won't be any more problems.

BR
ST