Original Latex Files?

Howard Butler-3
Gerald (or maybe others)?

As part of the website and documentation remodel for proj.4, it would be really nice if we could collect the content of the various PDFs into a living document.

ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/OF90-284.pdf
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.pdf
ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.I2.pdf

Would it be possible to get the source latex files for these documents, and would you support us including them as part of a larger documentation effort for http://proj4.org?

Thanks much,

Howard

Re: Original Latex Files?

support-2
Hello,

I haven't heard anything about Gerald since many years and also Frank
been very silent lately. I suppose Frank might have an idea if anybody
here? I think Gerald is (if anywhere) more active on the "libproj" side?
.. if Proj4 was written sometime 1970 first time .. you can count years
your self etc..

If nothing else helps it might be a good time to write them again using
the originals as basis?! (And also compile them all together into a
single manual) .. ??!! Most likely no copyright problems exsist if
original writers are mentioned etc. etc..

It is also possible that any original manual files are lost for ever?!
.. lucky we have the source code still! :)

Regards: Janne.

------------

Howard Butler kirjoitti 14.03.2016 20:52:

> Gerald (or maybe others)?
>
> As part of the website and documentation remodel for proj.4, it would
> be really nice if we could collect the content of the various PDFs
> into a living document.
>
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/OF90-284.pdf
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.pdf
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.I2.pdf
>
> Would it be possible to get the source latex files for these
> documents, and would you support us including them as part of a larger
> documentation effort for http://proj4.org?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Howard

Re: Original Latex Files?

Duncan Agnew
Two notes:

The first, and probably the second, document are publications of the US government and thus in the public
domain.

It isn't difficult to extract the text from the .pdf file, but putting all the LaTeX formatting back would be a lot
of work -- though it would not be difficult to "parallelize" this, with a little community organization.
I haven't heard anything about Gerald since many years and also Frank
been very silent lately. I suppose Frank might have an idea if anybody
here? I think Gerald is (if anywhere) more active on the "libproj" side?
.. if Proj4 was written sometime 1970 first time .. you can count years
your self etc..

If nothing else helps it might be a good time to write them again using
the originals as basis?! (And also compile them all together into a
single manual) .. ??!! Most likely no copyright problems exsist if
original writers are mentioned etc. etc..

It is also possible that any original manual files are lost for ever?!
.. lucky we have the source code still! :)

Regards: Janne.

------------

Howard Butler kirjoitti 14.03.2016 20:52:

> Gerald (or maybe others)?
>
> As part of the website and documentation remodel for proj.4, it would
> be really nice if we could collect the content of the various PDFs
> into a living document.
>
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/OF90-284.pdf
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.pdf
> ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj.4.3.I2.pdf
>
> Would it be possible to get the source latex files for these
> documents, and would you support us including them as part of a larger
> documentation effort for http://proj4.org?
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Howard

Re: Original Latex Files?

Norman Vine

this seems to be a mirror copy of Gerald's last USGS distribution site charon.er.usgs.gov
http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/graphics/packages/MapProjections/

there are a couple of postscript files there that might be useful
PROJ.4.?.ps.Z Intermim documentation of release 4 proj.  Use as
                a supplement to OF 90-284 (listed above).  PostScript for
                300dpi, black-on-white printers.

proj.OF90-284.ps directory of PostScript files to create proj's OF doc-
                umentation on a 300bpi, black-on-white laser printer.

On Mar 15, 2016, at 1:28 PM, "Agnew, Duncan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two notes:
>
> The first, and probably the second, document are publications of the US government and thus in the public
> domain.
>
> It isn't difficult to extract the text from the .pdf file, but putting all the LaTeX formatting back would be a lot
> of work -- though it would not be difficult to "parallelize" this, with a little community organization.

Re: Original Latex Files?

Kristian Evers-2
Postscript files for the PROJ.4.3.*.pdf files can be found here:

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/from_kai/

I've been trying to find the code that was used to create the plots in the files, but haven't had any luck yet. It should be possible to extract the plots from the ps-file though.

Kristian Evers
Geophysicist
Geographical references
[hidden email]

Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency

this seems to be a mirror copy of Gerald's last USGS distribution site charon.er.usgs.gov
http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/graphics/packages/MapProjections/

there are a couple of postscript files there that might be useful
PROJ.4.?.ps.Z Intermim documentation of release 4 proj.  Use as
                a supplement to OF 90-284 (listed above).  PostScript for
                300dpi, black-on-white printers.

proj.OF90-284.ps directory of PostScript files to create proj's OF doc-
                umentation on a 300bpi, black-on-white laser printer.

On Mar 15, 2016, at 1:28 PM, "Agnew, Duncan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two notes:
>
> The first, and probably the second, document are publications of the US government and thus in the public
> domain.
>
> It isn't difficult to extract the text from the .pdf file, but putting all the LaTeX formatting back would be a lot
> of work -- though it would not be difficult to "parallelize" this, with a little community organization.

Re: Original Latex Files?

Thomas Knudsen
I was looking into this with Kristian Evers this morning - and it actually shows to be quite easy to extract Gerald's original map projection illustrations.

The figures are embedded by dvips, directly from original files (probably generated using his MAPGEN cartographic system, https://pubs.er.usgs.gov/publication/70015083) directly into the PostScript files, where they are neatly delineated by "BeginDocument"/"EndDocument" pairs:

As an example, the Mercator projection illustration starts approximately 2500 lines into the OF90-284.ps file downloaded from
http://download.osgeo.org/proj/from_kai/ with the quite readable line:

%%BeginDocument: plotter -d eps cylind/merc.ov

Hence, a meaningful file name can be generated from the last element of the BeginDocument line.

Writing a plain PostScript header and appending everything from BeginDocument to EndDocument is just a matter of a few lines of AWK, and converting to tightly cropped PDF-format can be done using the ps2pdf function from Ghostscript, in combination with Heiko Oberdiek's pdfcrop thing.

Everything is shrink-wrapped into 35 lines of AWK, included below (Howard: would it be worth submitting a pull request, adding this to the proj documentation effort?)

#
# Extract Gerald Evenden's original map projection demo plots
# from the original proj.4 postscript documentation
#
# Usage:
#     awk -f extract_gie_figures.awk  OF90-284.ps  PROJ.4.3.ps
#
# Thomas Knudsen,
#     Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
#     Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency
#
# [hidden email] 2016-03-16
#

$1=="%%BeginDocument:" {
    # The original file name (style: cylind/merc.ov) is the last arg on the BeginDocument line
    base = $NF
    # Remove prepended path ("cylind/") and file extension (".ov")
    sub (".ov", "", base)
    sub (/(.+)\//,"", base)

    # write PostScript header to output file
    print "%!PS-Adobe-2.0" >base ".ps"
}

# Write embedded plot file to PostScript output file
$1=="%%BeginDocument:", $1=="%%EndDocument" {
    print $0 >>base ".ps"
}

# Convert plot file to cropped pdf
$1=="%%EndDocument" {
    system ("ps2pdf " base ".ps intermediate.pdf")
    system ("pdfcrop intermediate.pdf " base ".pdf")
}

Thomas Knudsen
Geodesist, PhD
Geographical references
[hidden email]

Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency

Postscript files for the PROJ.4.3.*.pdf files can be found here:

http://download.osgeo.org/proj/from_kai/

I've been trying to find the code that was used to create the plots in the files, but haven't had any luck yet. It should be possible to extract the plots from the ps-file though.

Kristian Evers
Geophysicist
Geographical references
[hidden email]

Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency

this seems to be a mirror copy of Gerald's last USGS distribution site charon.er.usgs.gov
http://ftp.funet.fi/pub/graphics/packages/MapProjections/

there are a couple of postscript files there that might be useful
PROJ.4.?.ps.Z Intermim documentation of release 4 proj.  Use as
                a supplement to OF 90-284 (listed above).  PostScript for
                300dpi, black-on-white printers.

proj.OF90-284.ps directory of PostScript files to create proj's OF doc-
                umentation on a 300bpi, black-on-white laser printer.

On Mar 15, 2016, at 1:28 PM, "Agnew, Duncan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Two notes:
>
> The first, and probably the second, document are publications of the US government and thus in the public
> domain.
>
> It isn't difficult to extract the text from the .pdf file, but putting all the LaTeX formatting back would be a lot
> of work -- though it would not be difficult to "parallelize" this, with a little community organization.

Re: Original Latex Files?

Howard Butler-3

> On Mar 16, 2016, at 10:33 AM, Thomas Knudsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Everything is shrink-wrapped into 35 lines of AWK, included below (Howard: would it be worth submitting a pull request, adding this to the proj documentation effort?)

That would be fantastic.

My primary reason for trying to get at the original files are indeed the figures. It should be straightforward to port the text and equation stuff over, but the figures are a very valuable part of the document.

Search engine-friendly, linkable documentation is the ultimate goal, and the original documents are a big missing piece of that. Thanks for any contributions you can make.

Howard