Organisation Constitution

Andrew Harvey-2
I only just noticed the constitution now, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kakpBuOsF6ObF4IiUVSA2PRI3-7Asy7P/view I had a few questions.

- Is the company a non-profit? I couldn't find anything in the constitution to this affect. Ho

- The objective is overly broad "Promoting the study, education and appreciation of professionals involved in scientific and professional service pursuits." I would have though the constitution cemented the organisation as being about promoting free and open source geospatial software and data.

Re: Organisation Constitution

Alex Leith
Hey Andrew

From memory, this company 'object' is based on the classifications from the ABS. We needed to pick one, and for what it's worth, we picked this one. This is the full list, and maybe there's a slot we fit into better, but I don't think it's important. (Having written this, and done a little research now, I'm not 100% on this actually. Perhaps Greg has a better recollection?)

Regarding whether we're a not for profit, we are, and this page defines the test for it. Basically, there are two required clauses in the constitution: not-for-profit (how we distribute funds) and dissolution (what happens to them if we wrap the organisation up). ANZ, for example, has recognised us as a not-for-profit and we have our fees waived with them.

Cheers,

Alex

On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 at 14:57, Andrew Harvey <[hidden email]> wrote:
I only just noticed the constitution now, https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kakpBuOsF6ObF4IiUVSA2PRI3-7Asy7P/view I had a few questions.

- Is the company a non-profit? I couldn't find anything in the constitution to this affect. Ho

- The objective is overly broad "Promoting the study, education and appreciation of professionals involved in scientific and professional service pursuits." I would have though the constitution cemented the organisation as being about promoting free and open source geospatial software and data.

Alex Leith
m: 0419189050