Optimizing Mapguide Server -Cache Size

Emma Schmidt
Hi,
I’m  not sure if i’m on the right way to solve our problem, but, I’ve was wondering If our System settings are right.

Especially the Cache Size settings. I think our system is getting slower since we have more projects. Is it right that we need to change the settings to 3 x the number of layers we are serving? I found this in a document which is called "Optimizing MapGuide Enterprise 2010 " from Autodesk, so I’m not sure if this still right.

Thanks  for any help

3 projects with 80 Layers
4 projects with 20 Layers
--> 320 Layers would be CacheSize=1000

System requirements:
64 bit
6 GB RAM
Mapguide Open Source 2.5
MapGuide Server Configuration File:
…..
CacheSize = 100
CacheTimeLimit = 86400
CacheTimerInterval = 3600
DataCacheSize = 100
DataConnectionPoolEnabled = 1
DataConnectionPoolExcludedProviders = OSGeo.SDF,OSGeo.SHP
DataConnectionPoolSize = 200
DataConnectionPoolSizeCustom = OSGeo.Gdal:1
DataConnectionTimeout = 28800
DataConnectionTimerInterval = 3600
JoinQueryBatchSize = 1000
DataTransactionTimeout = 360
DataTransactionTimerInterval = 60
FDOConnectionTimeoutCustom = OSGeo.WMS:120
UseFdoJoinOptimization = 1

Diese E-Mail wurde aus dem Sicherheitsverbund E-Mail made in Germany versendet: http://www.gmx.net/e-mail-made-in-germany

Re: Optimizing Mapguide Server -Cache Size

Jackie Ng
To give you better insight, this is what MapGuide caches on the server-side.

 - Feature Source documents
 - Spatial Contexts
 - Feature Schemas
 - Class Definitions
 - Identity Properties

Of your 320 layers, you have to ask yourself:

 - How many feature sources all these layers point to in total?
 - Of this set of Feature Sources:
    - Are they flat-files? (generally one class per feature source)
    - Are they relational databases (one class for each table per feature source)
    - Are you serving this data in various coordinate systems (one spatial context per CS)

Based on this information you can roughly tally up the number of potentially cacheable items and set the cache size appropriately.

Hope this helps.

- Jackie

Re: Optimizing Mapguide Server -Cache Size

zspitzer
might be worth bumping these default numbers up?

the original numbers were set for resource limited computers almost ten years ago

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Jackie Ng <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Zac Spitzer
+61 405 847 168

Re: Optimizing Mapguide Server -Cache Size

Emma Schmidt

Hallo,
sorry I’m not sure what you mean :-(.

Does it mean depending of my connection I need to increase my cachesize? In which dependency?
59 TotalConnection = Cachsize ?

I’ve found a performance log in the serverconfig and have turned it on shortly. There is a column “CACHESIZE” which tells me that the actual CACHESIZE is 89. Do I need to increase my Cachesize ?
TOTALACTIVECONNECTIONS
TOTALCONNECTIONS
   CACHESIZE

2
59
73
11
68
89

Thanks

Diese E-Mail wurde aus dem Sicherheitsverbund E-Mail made in Germany versendet: http://www.gmx.net/e-mail-made-in-germany

Re: Optimizing Mapguide Server -Cache Size

Jackie Ng
Yes that's what it sounds like. Once MapGuide hits the current limit of 100, it will start flushing out the oldest cached items to make way for every new item it needs to cache.

- Jackie