Quantcast

Opticks OSGeo Incubation

Adkins, Dustan
All,

It has been awhile since I brought up OSGeo Incubation for Opticks, and
much has changed since it was last discussed at IncCom 15 [1]. I would
like to point out a few of those changes in hopes that we will be
reconsidered for incubation at IncCom 18 [2]:

---
   1. Opticks now has an official board for open decision making [3]
which was elected via community vote [4].
   2. Opticks is participating in GSoC 2012 under OSGeo (as we did in
2011) and has accepted 3 student proposals in hopes of attracting long
term contributors [5]. Opticks received 9 of the 34 OSGeo applications,
demonstrating outside interest in the software.
   3. We now have a presence on Facebook [6] and Twitter [7], which has
helped us interact with the community.
   4. The amount of Opticks website traffic has stayed steady for the
last several months (some of the downloads have increased), again
demonstrating outside interest in the project.
---

I tried to update the ticket at [8], and it looked like I could only add
comments, which I am assuming is intentional based on [9].

This is quickly becoming a long and rambling email, so I will skip to my
big question: what should I do now to make sure Opticks is reconsidered
for entering incubation at IncCom 18? Add an agenda item to [2]?

Thanks,
Dustan

[1] http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2011-11-21.log
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/IncCom_Meeting18
[3]
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticks/Opticks+Governance+Policy
[4]
http://opticks.org/confluence/display/opticksChat/April+2%2C+2012+Meetin
g+Notes
[5] http://www.osgeo.org/node/1276
[6] https://www.facebook.com/opticksproject
[7] https://twitter.com/#!/opticksProject
[8] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/666
[9] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/wiki/TracTickets

Thanks,
Dustan

Re: Opticks OSGeo Incubation

jody.garnett
This is quickly becoming a long and rambling email, so I will skip to my
big question: what should I do now to make sure Opticks is reconsidered
for entering incubation at IncCom 18? Add an agenda item to [2]?
Yep; that is a good venue for discussion - however one more thing is needed to enable a decision. We need to find a mentor for Opticks to go through the incubation process.

This is more the incubation committee stumbling block then anything else (well a problem that troubles any volunteer organisation - it needs volunteers to run).

Jody

RE: Opticks OSGeo Incubation

Adkins, Dustan

>We need to find a mentor for Opticks to go through the incubation process.

Mark Lucas volunteered to mentor us some time ago. Mark, are you still willing to be OSGeo mentor for Opticks?

Thanks,

Dustan

Re: Opticks OSGeo Incubation

jody.garnett
Thanks Mark:

I see it is already added to tomorrows meeting agenda.

--
Jody Garnett

On Wednesday, 2 May 2012 at 3:36 AM, Mark Lucas wrote:

<base href="x-msg://779/">I'd be pleased to mentor the Opticks project.  My schedule is always hectic, I'd only ask that you ping me via email when you need me to respond and / or review.  Dustan and I had a chance to meet f2f at the foss4g-na conference and I assume that Dustan will be the primary interface to the project.

The Opticks project has enormous potential and I'll do what I can to help get it through the process.

Mark