Openness Calculation

Rebecca Bennett
Dear GRASS users,

I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002 http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf) and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro relief.

Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based on GRASS here http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)

Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation (image attached for clarification).

All the best,
Rebecca

Openness.png (109K) Download Attachment

Re: Openness Calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Rebecca,

I recall there was some capability w/in GRASS previously with terrain analysis, with classification of landform types -- but not using this nomenclature. Types were: slope, valley, ridge, saddle, etc... There may have been 'kettle' and 'dome' which seem to be close to your + and - openness. I can't remember the module. I know I have some F77 code buried away someplace written by a teacher years ago during my undergrad days taking geomorphology

Tom

--
Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

Re: Openness Calculation

Anna Petrášová

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM, Rebecca Bennett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear GRASS users,

I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002 http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf) and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro relief.

Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based on GRASS here http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)

Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation (image attached for clarification).

All the best,
Rebecca

I added recently a module r.skyview to grass 7 addons  for computing the sky-view factor [1]. It uses r.horizon module.  I am not sure how much different is what r.horizon can do and what you need but it's worth looking if r.horizon cannot be extended easily and then used for the openness computation.

Anna

Re: Openness Calculation

Helmut Kudrnovsky

Re: Openness Calculation

Helmut Kudrnovsky

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf

Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation (image attached for clarification).

All the best,
Rebecca

Openness.png (109K) <http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png>
at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.html see

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M. Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al 2002.
best regards
Helmut

Re: Openness Calculation

Rebecca Bennett
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links to further papers (and apologies for the multiple original posts - I think my computer must have been having a moment)

r.geomorphons looks like just the ticket - time to experiment!

Best wishes,
Rebecca

On Monday, 4 November 2013, 21:01, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rebecca Bennett wrote

> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness
> vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002
> http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf)
> and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro
> relief.
>
> Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up
> other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based
> on GRASS here
> http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf
>
> Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting
> microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation
> (image attached for clarification).
>
> All the best,
> Rebecca
>
> Openness.png (109K)
> &lt;http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png%3E

at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.htmlsee

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to
Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M.
Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an
actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al

2002.

-----
best regards
Helmut

Re: Openness Calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Rebecca,

The module I was thinking of is r.param.scale; where are you finding r.geomorphons? I can't find it.

Tom

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, Rebecca Bennett wrote:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links to further papers (and apologies for the multiple original posts - I think my computer must have been having a moment)

r.geomorphons looks like just the ticket - time to experiment!

Best wishes,
Rebecca

On Monday, 4 November 2013, 21:01, Helmut Kudrnovsky <<a href="javascript:_e({}, &#39;cvml&#39;, &#39;hellik@web.de&#39;);" target="_blank">hellik@...> wrote:
Rebecca Bennett wrote
> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness
> vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002
> http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf)
> and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro
> relief.
>
> Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up
> other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based
> on GRASS here
> http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf
>
> Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting
> microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation
> (image attached for clarification).
>
> All the best,
> Rebecca
>
> Openness.png (109K)
> &lt;http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png%3E

at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.htmlsee

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to
Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M.
Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an
actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al

2002.

-----
best regards
Helmut

Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

Re: Openness Calculation

Thomas Adams-2
Nevermind, I see it now in Helmut's email

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013, Thomas Adams wrote:
Rebecca,

The module I was thinking of is r.param.scale; where are you finding r.geomorphons? I can't find it.

Tom

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, Rebecca Bennett wrote:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links to further papers (and apologies for the multiple original posts - I think my computer must have been having a moment)

r.geomorphons looks like just the ticket - time to experiment!

Best wishes,
Rebecca

On Monday, 4 November 2013, 21:01, Helmut Kudrnovsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
Rebecca Bennett wrote
> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness
> vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002
> http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf)
> and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro
> relief.
>
> Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up
> other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based
> on GRASS here
> http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf
>
> Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting
> microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation
> (image attached for clarification).
>
> All the best,
> Rebecca
>
> Openness.png (109K)
> &lt;http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png%3E

at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.htmlsee

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to
Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M.
Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an
actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al

2002.

-----
best regards
Helmut

Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

--
Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

Re: Openness Calculation

Rebecca Bennett
It's an addon to GRASS 7 but I'm not having much success with it this morning as the module doesn't allow you to specify an output raster then fails to run because you haven't specified an output raster... at least in the windows version :)
I can of course use the commandline, I just haven't got round to it yet...

best wishes,
Rebecca

On Wednesday, 6 November 2013, 17:48, Thomas Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nevermind, I see it now in Helmut's email

On Wednesday, November 6, 2013, Thomas Adams wrote:
Rebecca,

The module I was thinking of is r.param.scale; where are you finding r.geomorphons? I can't find it.

Tom

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013, Rebecca Bennett wrote:
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links to further papers (and apologies for the multiple original posts - I think my computer must have been having a moment)

r.geomorphons looks like just the ticket - time to experiment!

Best wishes,
Rebecca

On Monday, 4 November 2013, 21:01, Helmut Kudrnovsky <hellik@...> wrote:
Rebecca Bennett wrote
> Dear GRASS users,
>
> I have recently been made aware of the positive and negative openness
> vizualisations (Yokoyama et al 2002
> http://www.asprs.org/a/publications/pers/2002journal/march/2002_mar_257-265.pdf)
> and would like to try to compute them in GRASS to help identify micro
> relief.
>
> Though I suspect that this has already been done, I can't find a heads up
> other than this paper (which claims to have creates the web service based
> on GRASS here
> http://geobrain.laits.gmu.edu/grassweb/manuals/raster/openness.html)
> http://www.lpi.usra.edu/science/stepinskiWebPage/pdfFiles/geoinformaticsConf2009.pdf
>
> Just a note that although similar in it's aim of highlighting
> microtopography, this is not quite the same as the r.horizon calculation
> (image attached for clarification).
>
> All the best,
> Rebecca
>
> Openness.png (109K)
> &lt;http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/attachment/5087322/0/Openness.png%3E

at http://sil.uc.edu/downloads.htmlsee

T.F. Stepinski, and J. Jasiewicz (2011) Geomorphons - A New Approach to
Classification of Landforms, in: T. Hengl, I. S. Evans, J. P. Wilson, M.
Gould (Eds.), Geomorphometry 2011, pp. 109-112. paper. Watch a video of an
actual presentation of this paper at the Geomorphometry 2011 conference.

there is a nice video that shows their work is based upon Yokoyama et al

2002.

-----
best regards
Helmut

Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

--
Thomas E Adams, III
718 McBurney Drive
Lebanon, OH 45036

1 (513) 739-9512 (cell)

Re: Openness Calculation

Anna Petrášová

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Anna Petrášová <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

I attached a simple patch for r.horizon which enables to output also negative elevation angles. Addon r.skyview can be then extended to compute also openness besides the skyview factor (the difference is just the range of elevation angles if I understood correctly). It looks like the negative openness can be then computed in the same way, but with inverted elevation.

Regards,
Anna

rhorizon_patch.diff (1K) Download Attachment