Openlayers 2.13.1 Google maps not showing recently (Sep 2015)

Openlayers 2.13.1 Google maps not showing recently (Sep 2015)

jaslee
Hi all,
I have an Openlayers 2 map showing a Google base map and a semi-transparent overlay. The map had been updated to Openlayers 2.13.1 for a while now to enabled it to work on mobile devices acceptably.

However, since this week (Sep 2015), the Google base maps have not been showing and I can only see our custom semi-transparent overlay over a grey/blank map.

As a temporary workaround, I've had to downgrade to previous Openlayers (2.11)!

The map should be well within the Google usage limits and I haven't read of any changes to the Google maps service so i cannot understand why the map suddenly changed - anyone else have similar experience or can advise?

Jason

Re: Openlayers 2.13.1 Google maps not showing recently (Sep 2015)

Paul Spencer
My understanding is that a recent API change released by Google has broken OpenLayers 2.13 compatibility.  Apparently they are aware of the problem and looking to fix it.  The suggested work-around was to request an older version of the Google Maps API.

Cheers

Paul

Yes, reverting to GMaps "v=3.20" (Apr 2015: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/releases) now works for me. Thanks for the tip.

On 2 September 2015 at 14:22, Paul Spencer <[hidden email]> wrote:
My understanding is that a recent API change released by Google has broken OpenLayers 2.13 compatibility.  Apparently they are aware of the problem and looking to fix it.  The suggested work-around was to request an older version of the Google Maps API.

Cheers

Paul

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 7:16 AM, Jason Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I have an Openlayers 2 map showing a Google base map and a semi-transparent overlay. The map had been updated to Openlayers 2.13.1 for a while now to enabled it to work on mobile devices acceptably.
>
> However, since this week (Sep 2015), the Google base maps have not been showing and I can only see our custom semi-transparent overlay over a grey/blank map.
>
> As a temporary workaround, I've had to downgrade to previous Openlayers (2.11)!
>
> The map should be well within the Google usage limits and I haven't read of any changes to the Google maps service so i cannot understand why the map suddenly changed - anyone else have similar experience or can advise?
>
> Jason

Re: Openlayers 2.13.1 Google maps not showing recently (Sep 2015)

laurentK2
We are experiencing the same issue.

A colleague noticed that the problem arises only if a Google Maps layer is set as the base layer when initializing the map. We're able to see a Google base layer when another type of layer was used as the base layer (in our case WMS) to initialize the map.

In the meantime, we'll be requesting version 3.2 as per Jaslee's suggestion. Thank you.

Re: Openlayers 2.13.1 Google maps not showing recently (Sep 2015)

jaslee
This has happened again since this week. Digging around I have seen discussion here about a better solution:-

Someone even helpfully supplied a minified Openlayers.js fix:-

Works for me.