Opening attribute table for large datasets

Opening attribute table for large datasets

Burt, William FLNR:EX

Hi users.

I am looking for some best practice tips for working with datasets with many rows.  Using QGIS 3.4.4 Our organization regularly works with large oracle database tables covering a large geographic region(eg 2 M+ rows, 1 + Gb).  QGIS seems to draw these layers fine but chokes on them when opening the attribute table.  Is there a way to limit fetched rows or other best practices in cases like this?

Thanks for your time,

Will

Re: Opening attribute table for large datasets

Patrick Dunford-2

Is the attribute table failing to load or simply taking a very long time to load?

I use some old shapefiles with around 500,000 rows, they are very slow loading, it just takes a time, I think is probably the same for a lot of large datasets, but it doesn't have trouble drawing the layers on the canvas

On 13/06/19 11:28 AM, Burt, William FLNR:EX wrote:

Hi users.

I am looking for some best practice tips for working with datasets with many rows.  Using QGIS 3.4.4 Our organization regularly works with large oracle database tables covering a large geographic region(eg 2 M+ rows, 1 + Gb).  QGIS seems to draw these layers fine but chokes on them when opening the attribute table.  Is there a way to limit fetched rows or other best practices in cases like this?

Thanks for your time,

Will

Re: Opening attribute table for large datasets

Saulteau Don
Hi William, fellow BC'er here.

One thing you can do is change the default behaviour, like instead of loading all features, try loading only features visible on map (or selected features).

Can change that in Settings > Options then the Data Source tab. You'll see an "attribute table behavior" pull down menu with some self-explanatory options.

Some hotkeys that also work, without changing the default attribute table behaviour are:

F6 - open attribute table
Shift + F6 - open attribute table showing only selected features
CTRL + F6 - open attribute table showing only visible features on canvas

Happy QGIS'ing!