OpenThreads

jmpmcmanus
I'm trying to build OSSIM on the 64-bit machine, running linux
(fedora).  When running make, I get an error " cannot find
-lOpenThreads".  OpenThreads is installed both under /usr/lib and
/usr/lib64.  I also installed OpenThreads under /usr/local, but still
get the error.  In all cases the paths to the library should have
worked.  OpenThreads library name is libOpenThreads.so, does it have to
be libOpenThreads.a for it to be found?

Thanks
Jim

Re: OpenThreads

scott bortman
Hey James,

I usually build regularly on Fedora 10 64bit and use the RPMs for OpenThreads shared libs from yum.
It should find it okay, dunno why yours doesn't.   Can you post the link line maybe?

--scottie

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 4:46 PM, James McManus <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm trying to build OSSIM on the 64-bit machine, running linux
(fedora).  When running make, I get an error " cannot find
-lOpenThreads".  OpenThreads is installed both under /usr/lib and
/usr/lib64.  I also installed OpenThreads under /usr/local, but still
get the error.  In all cases the paths to the library should have
worked.  OpenThreads library name is libOpenThreads.so, does it have to
be libOpenThreads.a for it to be found?

Thanks
Jim

Re: OpenThreads

Hernán De Angelis
hi James,

I post here my installation notes for openSUSE 11.1, in the hope you
find them useful:

OSSIM (www.ossim.org)
get OpenThreads first:
cd /usr/local/src
svn co http://www.openscenegraph.org/svn/osg/OpenThreads/trunk OpenThreads
./configure --prefix=/usr/local
gmake
make install

Now, open a terminal in /usr/local/src
download from SVN svn co https://svn.osgeo.org/ossim/trunk ossim_svn
or update from SVN svn update http://svn.osgeo.org/ossim/trunk ossim_svn
cd /usr/local/src/ossim/ossim
./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-openthreads=/usr/local
make depends
make
make install

OSSIM QT (GUI)
cd /usr/local/src/libwms
gmake
make install
open a terminal in ossim QT's source directory
export OSSIM_DEV_HOME=/usr/local/src/ossim_svn
export OSSIM_HOME=/usr/local
export OSSIM_INC_DIR=/usr/local/include/ossim
export OSSIM_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/lib
export OSSIM_QT_HOME=/usr/local/src/ossim_svn/ossim_qt
export QTDIR=/usr/lib64/qt3
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
qmake ossim_qt.pro
make
make install

To make plugins:
export OSSIM_HOME=/usr/local/src/ossim_svn/ossim
export GDAL_HOME=/usr/local

2009/2/27, James McManus <[hidden email]>:

> I'm trying to build OSSIM on the 64-bit machine, running linux
> (fedora).  When running make, I get an error " cannot find
> -lOpenThreads".  OpenThreads is installed both under /usr/lib and
> /usr/lib64.  I also installed OpenThreads under /usr/local, but still
> get the error.  In all cases the paths to the library should have
> worked.  OpenThreads library name is libOpenThreads.so, does it have to
> be libOpenThreads.a for it to be found?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Hernán De Angelis
Linux user # 397217

Re: OpenThreads

David Burken
Hi Jim,

I just updated the configure in svn.  Not sure if this was your issue
but I was setting lib path to /usr/lib for openthreads when it was in
reality in /usr/lib64.  You might want to remove your 32 bit OpenThreads
just to keep things less confusing.

So try "svn update".

Then rerun your configure.

On
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)

With:
$ rpm -qa | grep -i openthreads
OpenThreads-devel-2.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
OpenThreads-2.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64

On configure:
./configure --with-libtiff=/work/drb/local
--with-geotiff=/work/drb/local --pref
ix=/work/drb/local

I get:
OPEN_THREADS_INCLUDES   = -I/usr/include
OPEN_THREADS_LIBS       = -lOpenThreads
OPEN_THREADS_LIB_PATH   = -L/usr/lib64
OPEN_THREADS_ENABLED    = 1

Hope that helps,
Dave

James McManus wrote:

> I'm trying to build OSSIM on the 64-bit machine, running linux
> (fedora).  When running make, I get an error " cannot find
> -lOpenThreads".  OpenThreads is installed both under /usr/lib and
> /usr/lib64.  I also installed OpenThreads under /usr/local, but still
> get the error.  In all cases the paths to the library should have
> worked.  OpenThreads library name is libOpenThreads.so, does it have to
> be libOpenThreads.a for it to be found?
>
> Thanks
> Jim

Re: OpenThreads

jmpmcmanus
Hi David,

That works.  Would you consider putting a 64bit option, so all libraries
look for lib64 unless otherwise noted?

Thanks
Jim
David Burken wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> I just updated the configure in svn.  Not sure if this was your issue
> but I was setting lib path to /usr/lib for openthreads when it was in
> reality in /usr/lib64.  You might want to remove your 32 bit
> OpenThreads just to keep things less confusing.
>
> So try "svn update".
>
> Then rerun your configure.
>
> On
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
>
> With:
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i openthreads
> OpenThreads-devel-2.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
> OpenThreads-2.6.0-1.fc10.x86_64
>
> On configure:
> ./configure --with-libtiff=/work/drb/local
> --with-geotiff=/work/drb/local --pref
> ix=/work/drb/local
>
> I get:
> OPEN_THREADS_INCLUDES   = -I/usr/include
> OPEN_THREADS_LIBS       = -lOpenThreads
> OPEN_THREADS_LIB_PATH   = -L/usr/lib64
> OPEN_THREADS_ENABLED    = 1
>
> Hope that helps,
> Dave
>

> James McManus wrote:
>> I'm trying to build OSSIM on the 64-bit machine, running linux
>> (fedora).  When running make, I get an error " cannot find
>> -lOpenThreads".  OpenThreads is installed both under /usr/lib and
>> /usr/lib64.  I also installed OpenThreads under /usr/local, but still
>> get the error.  In all cases the paths to the library should have
>> worked.  OpenThreads library name is libOpenThreads.so, does it have
>> to be libOpenThreads.a for it to be found?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jim

>> Open Source Business Conference (OSBC), March 24-25, 2009, San
>> Francisco, CA
>> -OSBC tackles the biggest issue in open source: Open Sourcing the
>> Enterprise
>> -Strategies to boost innovation and cut costs with open source
>> participation
>> -Receive a $600 discount off the registration fee with the source
>> code: SFAD
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/XcvMzF8H

Re: OpenThreads

David R. Burken
I will look at it.   I saw jpeg was looking in /usr/lib first.

You can do an "ldd" on any ossim  app and see what it's linking with.

Like:
$ ldd image_info

Take care,
Dave