OpenStreetMap trademark license request for FOSS4G SoTM Oceania in November 2018

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenStreetMap trademark license request for FOSS4G SoTM Oceania in November 2018

David Dean

We would like to formally request the use of OpenStreetMap trademarks for all uses related to our proposed FOSS4G SoTM Oceania conference in November 2018, in Melbourne, Australia.


In accordance with Section 4.2 of the proposed trademark policy at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy, we are happy to provide the following details:


---

1. What is the proposed title of the event?


FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018


2. Who is hosting, sponsoring, or coordinating the event?


The event is still in planning, and we are still seeking sponsors, but we expect it to be hosted by the University of Melbourne. The event will also be supported by OSGeo as a local FOSS4G conference.


3. Include contact information (and OSM account name if relevant) for the person organizing the event.


I will be the representative to liaise between OSMF and the organising committee. I can be contacted using my email address [hidden email], and my OSM username is ‘David Dean’. I am also a current member of OSMF.


4. Is the event organized for community members?


The event will be open to everyone, but we expect a significant portion of attendees to be OpenStreetMappers in Australia to come to our very first SoTM in the region.


5. What is the topic of the event?


The event will cover a wide range of topics related to free and open-source software for geospatial technologies, and open mapping data. As there is considerable overlap with topics related to FOSS4G and SoTM we consider both groupings to be first-class components of this joint conference.


6. The location, date, and duration of the event.


It is intended that the conference be held in Melbourne, Australia on 22-23rd November 2018, with workshops on the 21st and hackathons and mapathons on the 24th.


7. Include handouts, examples, mockups, or other descriptions of the proposed use.


We are still in the process of producing these.

---


Thankyou in advance, and please do not hesitate to let me know if anything else is required, or if you have any further questions.


David Dean

Member, Organising Committee

FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018


--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenStreetMap trademark license request for FOSS4G SoTM Oceania in November 2018

David Dean
Simon, Ben,

Thank you very much for your support! 

I'll be sure to put up details about our events on the relevant wiki pages, as suggested.

- David

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 at 20:48 Ben - State of the Map <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David & FOSS4G SotM Oceania ,
Hi Simon,

Great news!


> I don't envision any issues in any case.

I agree.


> The largest concern with respect to  SOTM-style events is scheduling and I have to refer to the SOTM-WG for that.

We certainly did not receive yeu any formal request or indication of
another event planned around 22-23rd November 2018.

This does not collide (date or place) with SotM (international conference).

I think you can carry on.
And I wish you a very succesful event! :)

Do add your details as soon as possible to the OSM wiki:
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Current_events
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map
- ...

For the sake of safety I recommend you contact other potential
organisers of event in Autumn:
- http://stateofthemap.asia/
- http://state.osmlatam.org/
- http://www.foss4g-ar.org/
- http://stateofthemap.us/
But being regional events, I even think that similar dates are not a
deal-breaker.

Best regards.

Benoit
State of the Map Team


On 18 December 2017 at 11:16, OSMF (legal questions)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Thank you for your request.
>
> You are catching us not quite ready yet, so a formal response will likely
> not be forthcoming before the new year. But I don't envision any issues in
> any case. The largest concern with respect to  SOTM-style events is
> scheduling and I have to refer to the SOTM-WG for that.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Simon
>
>
> Am 18.12.2017 um 03:10 schrieb David Dean:
>
> We would like to formally request the use of OpenStreetMap trademarks for
> all uses related to our proposed FOSS4G SoTM Oceania conference in November
> 2018, in Melbourne, Australia.
>
>
> In accordance with Section 4.2 of the proposed trademark policy at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy, we are happy to
> provide the following details:
>
> ---
>
> 1. What is the proposed title of the event?
>
>
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018
>
>
> 2. Who is hosting, sponsoring, or coordinating the event?
>
>
> The event is still in planning, and we are still seeking sponsors, but we
> expect it to be hosted by the University of Melbourne. The event will also
> be supported by OSGeo as a local FOSS4G conference.
>
>
> 3. Include contact information (and OSM account name if relevant) for the
> person organizing the event.
>
>
> I will be the representative to liaise between OSMF and the organising
> committee. I can be contacted using my email address [hidden email], and my
> OSM username is ‘David Dean’. I am also a current member of OSMF.
>
>
> 4. Is the event organized for community members?
>
>
> The event will be open to everyone, but we expect a significant portion of
> attendees to be OpenStreetMappers in Australia to come to our very first
> SoTM in the region.
>
>
> 5. What is the topic of the event?
>
>
> The event will cover a wide range of topics related to free and open-source
> software for geospatial technologies, and open mapping data. As there is
> considerable overlap with topics related to FOSS4G and SoTM we consider both
> groupings to be first-class components of this joint conference.
>
>
> 6. The location, date, and duration of the event.
>
>
> It is intended that the conference be held in Melbourne, Australia on
> 22-23rd November 2018, with workshops on the 21st and hackathons and
> mapathons on the 24th.
>
>
> 7. Include handouts, examples, mockups, or other descriptions of the
> proposed use.
>
>
> We are still in the process of producing these.
>
> ---
>
> Thankyou in advance, and please do not hesitate to let me know if anything
> else is required, or if you have any further questions.
>
>
> David Dean
>
> Member, Organising Committee
>
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018
>
>
> --
> http://dbdean.com
>
>
--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenStreetMap trademark license request for FOSS4G SoTM Oceania in November 2018

David Dean
Rob,

I'm sorry this took a while to get back to you! Let me have a go at answering those questions:

1. How much do we intend to charge for tickets?

We intend to charge $375 early bird registration and $450 full price, including the conference dinner.

2. Which entity will cover the financials and how will profits (if any) be used?

The conference will be covered financially by SSSI  (https://sssi.org.au/, Surveying and Spatial Sciences Institute, a national, not for profit spatial industry body).

50% of the profits will be returned to SSSI, and 50% of the profits will be used as seed funding for running a similar conference next year.

3. Are we are registered non-profit organisation?

Yes, see above.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. We look forward to running FOSS4G SoTM Oceania in November!

- David

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 at 23:30 Rob Nickerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David,

Glad to hear this :-)

As Simon noted you are slightly ahead of where we are in terms of formalising a policy for the use of "SotM". The aim is for this to take effect from 1 Jan 2019.

The policy is likely to include components related to profit and ticket prices. It would be good if you could make all efforts to align with our current best practices established informally over the SotM events. Namely, low cost tickets and profit to be retained in OSM related groups (or 50% profit in case of joint events).

Can I therefore ask:

- How much do you intend to charge for tickets?
- Which entity will cover the financials and how will profits (if any) be used?
- Are you a registered non-profit organisation?

Thanks,
Rob




On 18 Dec 2017 11:06 a.m., "David Dean" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Simon, Ben,

Thank you very much for your support! 

I'll be sure to put up details about our events on the relevant wiki pages, as suggested.

- David

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 at 20:48 Ben - State of the Map <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi David & FOSS4G SotM Oceania ,
Hi Simon,

Great news!


> I don't envision any issues in any case.

I agree.


> The largest concern with respect to  SOTM-style events is scheduling and I have to refer to the SOTM-WG for that.

We certainly did not receive yeu any formal request or indication of
another event planned around 22-23rd November 2018.

This does not collide (date or place) with SotM (international conference).

I think you can carry on.
And I wish you a very succesful event! :)

Do add your details as soon as possible to the OSM wiki:
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Current_events
- http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/State_Of_The_Map
- ...

For the sake of safety I recommend you contact other potential
organisers of event in Autumn:
- http://stateofthemap.asia/
- http://state.osmlatam.org/
- http://www.foss4g-ar.org/
- http://stateofthemap.us/
But being regional events, I even think that similar dates are not a
deal-breaker.

Best regards.

Benoit
State of the Map Team


On 18 December 2017 at 11:16, OSMF (legal questions)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi David
>
> Thank you for your request.
>
> You are catching us not quite ready yet, so a formal response will likely
> not be forthcoming before the new year. But I don't envision any issues in
> any case. The largest concern with respect to  SOTM-style events is
> scheduling and I have to refer to the SOTM-WG for that.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Simon
>
>
> Am 18.12.2017 um 03:10 schrieb David Dean:
>
> We would like to formally request the use of OpenStreetMap trademarks for
> all uses related to our proposed FOSS4G SoTM Oceania conference in November
> 2018, in Melbourne, Australia.
>
>
> In accordance with Section 4.2 of the proposed trademark policy at
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Trademark_Policy, we are happy to
> provide the following details:
>
> ---
>
> 1. What is the proposed title of the event?
>
>
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018
>
>
> 2. Who is hosting, sponsoring, or coordinating the event?
>
>
> The event is still in planning, and we are still seeking sponsors, but we
> expect it to be hosted by the University of Melbourne. The event will also
> be supported by OSGeo as a local FOSS4G conference.
>
>
> 3. Include contact information (and OSM account name if relevant) for the
> person organizing the event.
>
>
> I will be the representative to liaise between OSMF and the organising
> committee. I can be contacted using my email address [hidden email], and my
> OSM username is ‘David Dean’. I am also a current member of OSMF.
>
>
> 4. Is the event organized for community members?
>
>
> The event will be open to everyone, but we expect a significant portion of
> attendees to be OpenStreetMappers in Australia to come to our very first
> SoTM in the region.
>
>
> 5. What is the topic of the event?
>
>
> The event will cover a wide range of topics related to free and open-source
> software for geospatial technologies, and open mapping data. As there is
> considerable overlap with topics related to FOSS4G and SoTM we consider both
> groupings to be first-class components of this joint conference.
>
>
> 6. The location, date, and duration of the event.
>
>
> It is intended that the conference be held in Melbourne, Australia on
> 22-23rd November 2018, with workshops on the 21st and hackathons and
> mapathons on the 24th.
>
>
> 7. Include handouts, examples, mockups, or other descriptions of the
> proposed use.
>
>
> We are still in the process of producing these.
>
> ---
>
> Thankyou in advance, and please do not hesitate to let me know if anything
> else is required, or if you have any further questions.
>
>
> David Dean
>
> Member, Organising Committee
>
> FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2018
>
>
> --
> http://dbdean.com
>
>
--

--

_______________________________________________
Aust-NZ mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/aust-nz