OpenSource 4.1 branch

Jackie Ng
Hi All,

I'd like to start the release cycle for MapGuide Open Source 3.1 beta this week. For this to happen, I need an equivalent OS branch of FDO 4.1 branch to build against.

Are we good to make a 4.1 open source branch of FDO?

- Jackie

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Greg Boone
Yes. You should be ok to create the branch.

Greg.

I'd like to start the release cycle for MapGuide Open Source 3.1 beta this week. For this to happen, I need an equivalent OS branch of FDO 4.1 branch to build against.

Are we good to make a 4.1 open source branch of FDO?

- Jackie

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Jackie Ng
Hi Greg,

Any plans for an SDK binary release of FDO 4.1 soon?

I need a 4.1 binary compatible ArcSDE provider dll that I can pluck from to include in builds of MapGuide Open Source 3.1.

- Jackie

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Crispin_at_Linknode
A +1 for the request for a build of the ArcSDE dlls

Other products dependent on the binary release of FDO (MapRelate) are stalled.
I know this is probably some additional Autodesk resource allocation to support the OSGeo community, but it would be great (and to be able to include in MGOS 3.1 testing)

 many thanks

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Greg Boone
Hi Crispin,

There is a bit of an issue here with ArcSDE. As far as I know there would be a conflict of interest for Autodesk to build and distribute the ArcSDE DLLs for FDO 4.1. The last time I asked, the developer agreement that ESRI outlines for ArcSDE does not permit Autodesk to do so. In the past there used to be collaboration with non-Autodesk contractors to help produce the necessary ArcSDE binaries, but that is no longer in place.

It would be great if we could move the build/posting responsibility of the full FDO SDK from the Autodesk realm into the broader community and get others involved to assist on such issues.

Regards,
Greg

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Crispin_at_Linknode
Thanks Greg (and for your time overseeing the FDO development programme),

If terms and conditions of distribution have changed in the last year then that's fair enough - complications of Open Source development using closed source and licensed APIs and SDKs.

Jackie Ng, who is a stalwart, obviously provides updates (fixes and and third party / security), RFCs and build provision for MapGuide with FDO as part of the process.  So there is an FDO build out there and I can get it via the MGOS downloads.

Autodesk have been a massive supporter of the project and with the technology embedded in so many products it would be a shame to loose key stakeholders.  They certainly get some resource back from the community (we have also sponsored updates to raster and Oracle connections as projects that have gone into the common code core), probably proportional to size!

Maybe FDO/MapGuide will have to be without ArcSDE until a license / third-party solution can be found.

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Crispin_at_Linknode
... except of course that MapGuide uses C++ and can hence access the FDO DLLs without the .net wrappers.  The latter are only available with a build or SDK download from someone else's build!

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Greg Boone
Hi Crispin,

All of the components needed to build the FDO ArcSDE provider are in the FDO SVN repository. So any non-Autodesk contributor should be able to extract the source, build and distribute that provider independent of any posting Autodesk may distribute.

Greg

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Crispin_at_Linknode
>> All of the components needed to build the FDO ArcSDE provider are in the FDO SVN repository.

However, the "component" that is missing is the commercial ArcSDE SDK - only available through some other non-OSGeo programme so that is it not possible for "anyone" -- unless I am missing a path to a component within SVN?

This is what happens after a successful -w=fdo build:

c:\Projects\FDO\4.1\branch>build.bat -p=x64 -w=arcsde
End Build

Re: OpenSource 4.1 branch

Jackie Ng
I think Greg meant to say source code not components needed to build the FDO ArcSDE provider.

So yes, unless someone has access to the ArcSDE SDK and is not adsk-affiliated and is willing to volunteer build resources to build this one particular provider for 32-bit/64-bit windows, there will be no such provider included for MapGuide Open Source 3.1 (and possibly future versions as well)

- Jackie