OpenMPI

Bales, Donald J.

All,

Forgive me if you feel this inquiry is misplaced, but I was wondering if OpenDroneMap has an OpenMPI implementation, or if you know of any OpenMPI implementation for image processing?  If not, is there any interest in the OpenDroneMap community to create an OpenMPI implementation so one can leverage high performance computing platforms?

Sincerely,

Donald J. Bales
(630) 776-0071

Beginning PL/SQL: From Novice to Professional, APress (2007)
Oracle Application Server 10g Essentials, O’Reilly (2004)
JDBC Pocket Reference, O’Reilly (2003)
Java Programming with Oracle JDBC, O’Reilly (2001)

Re: OpenMPI

Alex Mandel-2
On 04/27/2015 09:18 AM, Bales, Donald J. wrote:
> All,
>
> Forgive me if you feel this inquiry is misplaced, but I was wondering if OpenDroneMap has an OpenMPI implementation, or if you know of any OpenMPI implementation for image processing?  If not, is there any interest in the OpenDroneMap community to create an OpenMPI implementation so one can leverage high performance computing platforms?
> Sincerely,
>
> Donald J. Bales
> (630) 776-0071

We have been talking about converting the current Perl master script to
something in Python (possibly flask based). At that point there would be
good places to hook in an MPI library for python.

The tricky part is going to be an efficient means of distributing the
data. If you have a compute cluster this shouldn't be an issue (assuming
you have some sort of shared storage). If you use Amazon it might mean
you have all your nodes reads from the same S3, etc.

Thanks,
Alex

Re: OpenMPI

Stephen Mather-2
Shared, or the messy part of passing data around...

Looking at the portions of the toolchain:

resize -- easily can be massively parallelized (also not a bottleneck)
keypoints -- same, but is a slow process now
match -- harder to parallelize without a priori knowledge of likely matches
bundler -- currently not fully parallelized and a major bottleneck
cmvs/pmvs -- CMVS chops the scene into bite-sized chunks, making PMVS work within smaller, reassembleable scene chunks. Ideal for distribution
meshing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
texturing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
georeferencing -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain
orthophoto -- not sure, but fast to run relative to rest of toolchain

match is probably the hardest part to efficiently parallize without shared storage, but with some a priori knowledge of likely matching images (e.g. exif geolocation), something clever might be done to overcome this limitation.

Cheers,
Best,
Steve