OpenLayers resolutions and scale questions

OpenLayers resolutions and scale questions

dnbphysicist
Hello all, I have a few questions that I can't seem to get cleared up in the OpenLayers documentation.
  • Someone asked me what is the units of measurement that are displayed in the scale control? In other words 1:7M what? Or is it unit-less since it's a ratio? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
  • Next, when you manually specify the resolutions of the map (i.e. map.resolutions = [...,...,...];), what units are those? I checked the map in the DOM inspector and it says the units are 'degrees', does that mean decimal degrees?
  • Also if this or anything related to scale, resolution or Geo-spatial accuracy in general is documented anywhere for OpenLayers, can someone point me in that direction?

Thanks in advance!

Re: OpenLayers resolutions and scale questions

Worth Lutz

Scale is a ratio, for example:   1 inch = 24000 inches   -or-   1/24000   -or-  1 ft. = 24000 feet

Here are some helpful links:

http://trac.osgeo.org/openlayers/wiki/SettingZoomLevels

https://getsatisfaction.com/opengeo/topics/how_do_i_interpret_the_openlayers_scale

Worth

Hello all, I have a few questions that I can't seem to get cleared up in the OpenLayers documentation.

  • Someone asked me what is the units of measurement that are displayed in the scale control? In other words 1:7M what? Or is it unit-less since it's a ratio? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
  • Next, when you manually specify the resolutions of the map (i.e. map.resolutions = [...,...,...];), what units are those? I checked the map in the DOM inspector and it says the units are 'degrees', does that mean decimal degrees?
  • Also if this or anything related to scale, resolution or Geo-spatial accuracy in general is documented anywhere for OpenLayers, can someone point me in that direction?

Thanks in advance!

No virus found in this message.

Re: OpenLayers resolutions and scale questions

Stephen Woodbridge
On 3/21/2013 10:20 AM, Rob Hyx wrote:
> Thanks Worth, so how do you know if the scale is inches to inches or
> feet to feet, etc.? What is the default?

Scale is a ratio so it should be unit-less.

You can read it as one unit on the screen is equal to N units on the
ground. 1:2000 inches === 1:2000 ft

-Steve W