OpenJPEG

boxerab
Hello,

I have made improvements to OpenJPEG speed and memory usage,
and I am releasing the code under the Affero GPL license.

Would QGIS users be interested in these patches?  These are significant
improvements to existing OpenJPEG master.

Thanks,
Aaron

Re: OpenJPEG

Matthias Kuhn 🌍
Hi Aaron,

As far as I know QGIS does not directly link to openjpeg. It may be indirectly linked via Qt or some other library.

What exactly are your improvements?
Can they be provided upstream, so everything which depends on openjpeg can profit from them?
Why do you think that QGIS in particular would benefit?

Kind regards,
Matthias

On 01/25/2016 05:18 PM, Aaron Boxer wrote:
Hello,

I have made improvements to OpenJPEG speed and memory usage,
and I am releasing the code under the Affero GPL license.

Would QGIS users be interested in these patches?  These are significant
improvements to existing OpenJPEG master.

Thanks,
Aaron

Matthias Kuhn
OPENGIS.ch - https://www.opengis.ch
Spatial • (Q)GIS • PostGIS • Open Source

Re: OpenJPEG

boxerab
Hi Matthias,

Thanks - I suppose QGIS reads J2K files via GDAL ?

My improvements are :

- much faster tile decode (use multiple cores)
- much lower memory usage for decode
- fast sub-tile decode for large single-tile images

Eventually, I would like to enable viewing of files larger than 4 GB, which is a limitation at the moment with OpenJPEG.

Cheers,
Aaron

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Matthias Kuhn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Even Rouault-2
Le lundi 25 janvier 2016 17:18:18, Aaron Boxer a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I have made improvements to OpenJPEG speed and memory usage,
> and I am releasing the code under the Affero GPL license.

Aaron,

You're of course the ultimate voice for licensing choices of your code but
given that you've already submitted code as PR to the main OpenJPEG project,
peple could reasonably assume it was intended to be under the same BSD 2-
clause license.
Especially since https://github.com/CodecCentral/ronin mentions BSD-2 in the
main README and LICENSE files.
I find it not very respectful for people included myself who have, apparently
wrongly, tested or reviewed it under that assumption.
I don't think it will be mergable into mainline openjpeg if you keep it under
Affero GPL, but that's perhaps intended.

Others: this relates to discussions on gdal-dev (& openjpeg list/tracker).
Look for openjpeg in subjects at
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-January/date.html

Even

http://www.spatialys.com