OpenCL Crash

Nicolas Cadieux
Hi,

Activating OpenCL in QGIS 3.4.3 causes a Qgis crash (Settings -> Options
-> Acceleration -> Enable OpenCL acceleration = crash.  I am on Windows
10_64, Osgeo4W installations.   Video Card is an old GTX260 with OpenCL
1.0 activated (with cuda 1.0) with the latest drivers (342.01).  I also
installed the Intel OpenCL 18.1 Runtime for my CPU i7 6800K in case the
problem was with the old GPU.  The Acceleration windows is blank below
the "the following OpenCL devices were found on this system...". Maybe
that is only because "Enable OpenCL Acceleration" box is not clicked?
This issue is closed in bug report 20363.
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20363.  I added my feedback to the thread.

Does anyone have any Idea how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Re: OpenCL Crash

Alessandro Pasotti-2
Hi,

In some Windows installations OpenCL library crashes and brings down QGIS with it.

Unfortunately, I tried hard with the limited Windows skills that I have but I've not been able to reproduce and debug this issue, to prevent a crash when opening the settings dialog, I've changed the settings implementation on 3.4.3: OpenCL is now completely disabled until the user opts-in by clicking on the checkbox "Enable OpenCL", of course the setting is not saved in case of a crash, so the user can restart QGIS and don't get another crash.

Coming to the crash, one possibility is that it comes from a wrong OpenCL.dll/lib being loaded: QGIS is compiled with a particular OpenCL library and it ships that library, so, as suggested in the ticket, you can try to temporarily remove the OpenCL.dll/libs that you have and leave only the one shipped with QGIS itself.

If that doesn't work, there is a possibility that the OpenCL runtime (which is NOT the same thing as OpenCL.dll/lib) that your CPU/GPU vendor provided is buggy or not compatible with the OpenCL library shipped by QGIS (in theory it should never happen, but you know ...).

Btw, if you don't mind, let's continue the discussion in the issue tracker, it's easier to keep all related information in the same place.

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 4:00 AM Nicolas Cadieux <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Activating OpenCL in QGIS 3.4.3 causes a Qgis crash (Settings -> Options
-> Acceleration -> Enable OpenCL acceleration = crash.  I am on Windows
10_64, Osgeo4W installations.   Video Card is an old GTX260 with OpenCL
1.0 activated (with cuda 1.0) with the latest drivers (342.01).  I also
installed the Intel OpenCL 18.1 Runtime for my CPU i7 6800K in case the
problem was with the old GPU.  The Acceleration windows is blank below
the "the following OpenCL devices were found on this system...". Maybe
that is only because "Enable OpenCL Acceleration" box is not clicked?
This issue is closed in bug report 20363.
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20363.  I added my feedback to the thread.

Does anyone have any Idea how to trouble shoot this?

Thanks,

Nicolas

Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it

Re: OpenCL Crash

Richard Duivenvoorde
On 1/15/19 3:50 AM, Nicolas Cadieux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Activating OpenCL in QGIS 3.4.3 causes a Qgis crash (Settings -> Options
> -> Acceleration -> Enable OpenCL acceleration = crash.  I am on Windows
> 10_64, Osgeo4W installations.   Video Card is an old GTX260 with OpenCL
> 1.0 activated (with cuda 1.0) with the latest drivers (342.01).  I also
> installed the Intel OpenCL 18.1 Runtime for my CPU i7 6800K in case the
> problem was with the old GPU.  The Acceleration windows is blank below
> the "the following OpenCL devices were found on this system...". Maybe
> that is only because "Enable OpenCL Acceleration" box is not clicked?
> This issue is closed in bug report 20363.
> https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20363.  I added my feedback to the thread.
>
> Does anyone have any Idea how to trouble shoot this?

See
https://qgis.org/en/site/getinvolved/development/bugreporting.html#log-output-on-windows

In short: install package qgis-dev (nightly build) and download DebugView.

Works with me here, no crash (Debian Buster):

Type: GPU
Name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Kabylake Desktop GT1.5
Vendor: Intel
Profile: FULL_PROFILE
Version: OpenCL 2.0 beignet 1.3
Image support: True
Max image2d width: 8192
Max image2d height: 8192
Max mem alloc size: 3221225472

You could

About crashes... anybody can confirm this one (non opencl but 3D/OWS
related)?

https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20981

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde