Open Source Geospatial Atlas

123

Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Barry Rowlingson
Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
thinking:

 * Put out a proposal for beautiful cartography, stunning maps, and
insightful visualisations done with OpenSource applications and/or
Open Data.

 * Collect map proposals as images on a flickr group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/osgeomaps/

 * Get enough, have a community vote/expert opinion for the best 50 or so.

 * Get high-res or vector versions of the winners.

 * Get authors to write a note for the book, explaining the software,
the techniques, and the impact of their work.

 * Edit them into a glossy colour book, publish on a publish-on-demand
site (eg lulu.com).

 * Give free copies to the authors of the top ten voted maps or maybe
all the ones included (I'll pay for these unless someone wants to
sponsor it).

 * Release the PDF under an open license. Of course.

 * Profit!! [By selling copies on lulu at a small premium for OSGeo]

I don't think the production effort is very much, I just wonder if
enough people are producing maps that will look good in A4 or larger
(we're all about the web these days, right?) and if publicity can be
sustained enough to get 50 nice maps. The timeline would be set so we
have lots of glossy copies of these sitting around for sale at FOSS4G
2013.

 Good idea? Or will we just get 45 maps which are stamen.com
watercolour backgrounds with some points pasted on? There is a
perception which I think we've all heard that Open Source GIS packages
can't do cartography, but with a little help from Inkscape I've seen
some great-looking maps on posters at conferences.

 ESRI used to (still do?) produce an Arc/Info atlas (I have a vague
memory of something A3-size in our GIS research lab 20 years ago) of
maps - surely we can do something like that now. Obviously I'm
sticking my hand up to do the work for this, my concern is purely
whether we'd get enough entries. I'd like the bar to be quite high.
Most of the work is going to be done by the mappers themselves.

Shoot.

Barry

--
blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Michael Gerlek
Barry:

This is the coolest idea I've heard in a long time.

ESRI does a yearly coffee-table book for Arc-generated maps, the various satellite companies make calendars every year with their best hi-res shots... We should play the game too.

Count me in, I'll volunteer to help.

.mpg

On Jul 28, 2012, at 4:33 AM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
> technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
> thinking:
>
> * Put out a proposal for beautiful cartography, stunning maps, and
> insightful visualisations done with OpenSource applications and/or
> Open Data.
>
> * Collect map proposals as images on a flickr group:
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/osgeomaps/
>
> * Get enough, have a community vote/expert opinion for the best 50 or so.
>
> * Get high-res or vector versions of the winners.
>
> * Get authors to write a note for the book, explaining the software,
> the techniques, and the impact of their work.
>
> * Edit them into a glossy colour book, publish on a publish-on-demand
> site (eg lulu.com).
>
> * Give free copies to the authors of the top ten voted maps or maybe
> all the ones included (I'll pay for these unless someone wants to
> sponsor it).
>
> * Release the PDF under an open license. Of course.
>
> * Profit!! [By selling copies on lulu at a small premium for OSGeo]
>
> I don't think the production effort is very much, I just wonder if
> enough people are producing maps that will look good in A4 or larger
> (we're all about the web these days, right?) and if publicity can be
> sustained enough to get 50 nice maps. The timeline would be set so we
> have lots of glossy copies of these sitting around for sale at FOSS4G
> 2013.
>
> Good idea? Or will we just get 45 maps which are stamen.com
> watercolour backgrounds with some points pasted on? There is a
> perception which I think we've all heard that Open Source GIS packages
> can't do cartography, but with a little help from Inkscape I've seen
> some great-looking maps on posters at conferences.
>
> ESRI used to (still do?) produce an Arc/Info atlas (I have a vague
> memory of something A3-size in our GIS research lab 20 years ago) of
> maps - surely we can do something like that now. Obviously I'm
> sticking my hand up to do the work for this, my concern is purely
> whether we'd get enough entries. I'd like the bar to be quite high.
> Most of the work is going to be done by the mappers themselves.
>
> Shoot.
>
> Barry
>
> --
> blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
> web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings
> web: http://www.rowlingson.com/
> twitter: http://twitter.com/geospacedman
> pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacedman

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

nicolas bozon
Barry,

Hi also think it is a really good idea.

However, one simple question comes to my mind:
How to deal with the data property and rights, ragrding both printing or spreading on the Web ?

May be such an initiative should accept maps using OpenData or OSM only ?

Best,

Nick

2012/7/28 Michael P. Gerlek <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> have lots of glossy copies of these sitting around for sale at FOSS4G
> 2013.
>
> Good idea? Or will we just get 45 maps which are stamen.com
> watercolour backgrounds with some points pasted on? There is a
> perception which I think we've all heard that Open Source GIS packages
> can't do cartography, but with a little help from Inkscape I've seen
> some great-looking maps on posters at conferences.
>
> ESRI used to (still do?) produce an Arc/Info atlas (I have a vague
> memory of something A3-size in our GIS research lab 20 years ago) of
> maps - surely we can do something like that now. Obviously I'm
> sticking my hand up to do the work for this, my concern is purely
> whether we'd get enough entries. I'd like the bar to be quite high.
> Most of the work is going to be done by the mappers themselves.

Also, some companies would be willing to help underwrite production costs in exchange for some small ads on the back pages, if we wanted to go that way.

.mpg

On Jul 28, 2012, at 4:33 AM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
> technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
> thinking:
>
> * Put out a proposal for beautiful cartography, stunning maps, and
> insightful visualisations done with OpenSource applications and/or
> Open Data.
>
> * Collect map proposals as images on a flickr group:
> http://www.flickr.com/groups/osgeomaps/
>
> * Get enough, have a community vote/expert opinion for the best 50 or so.
>
> * Get high-res or vector versions of the winners.
>
> * Get authors to write a note for the book, explaining the software,
> the techniques, and the impact of their work.
>
> * Edit them into a glossy colour book, publish on a publish-on-demand
> site (eg lulu.com).
>
> * Give free copies to the authors of the top ten voted maps or maybe
> all the ones included (I'll pay for these unless someone wants to
> sponsor it).
>
> * Release the PDF under an open license. Of course.
>
> * Profit!! [By selling copies on lulu at a small premium for OSGeo]
>
> I don't think the production effort is very much, I just wonder if
> enough people are producing maps that will look good in A4 or larger
> (we're all about the web these days, right?) and if publicity can be
> sustained enough to get 50 nice maps. The timeline would be set so we
> have lots of glossy copies of these sitting around for sale at FOSS4G
> 2013.
>
> Good idea? Or will we just get 45 maps which are stamen.com
> watercolour backgrounds with some points pasted on? There is a
> perception which I think we've all heard that Open Source GIS packages
> can't do cartography, but with a little help from Inkscape I've seen
> some great-looking maps on posters at conferences.
>
> ESRI used to (still do?) produce an Arc/Info atlas (I have a vague
> memory of something A3-size in our GIS research lab 20 years ago) of
> maps - surely we can do something like that now. Obviously I'm
> sticking my hand up to do the work for this, my concern is purely
> whether we'd get enough entries. I'd like the bar to be quite high.
> Most of the work is going to be done by the mappers themselves.
>
> Shoot.
>
> Barry
>
> --
> blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
> web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings
> web: http://www.rowlingson.com/
> twitter: http://twitter.com/geospacedman
> pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacedman

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Puneet Kishor

On Jul 28, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
> technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
> thinking:
> ..

Great idea, but a physical book in today's day and age? Perhaps... That said, what about

http://www.radicalcartography.net
http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showforum=14

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

nicolas bozon
Great ideas !

I think if the input format is generic enough (LateX, or Sphinx may be..), we would be able to provide such a maps collection (images+txt) as both Print, HTML, EPub or what ever (may be at different prices too).
It'd be a great tool to promote both open source geospatial software and open geospatial data according to me, and yes, as Barry suggested, why not try to make profit out of this, for OSGeo.

My 0.02 €

Best,

Nick

2012/7/28 Mr. Puneet Kishor <[hidden email]>

On Jul 28, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
> technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
> thinking:
> ..

Great idea, but a physical book in today's day and age? Perhaps... That said, what about

http://www.radicalcartography.net
http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showforum=14

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

maning sambale

cool idea!

i love to bring this book to my regular fossgeo promotion rounds.

On Jul 28, 2012 8:46 PM, "nicolas bozon" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Great ideas !

I think if the input format is generic enough (LateX, or Sphinx may be..), we would be able to provide such a maps collection (images+txt) as both Print, HTML, EPub or what ever (may be at different prices too).
It'd be a great tool to promote both open source geospatial software and open geospatial data according to me, and yes, as Barry suggested, why not try to make profit out of this, for OSGeo.

My 0.02 €

Best,

Nick

2012/7/28 Mr. Puneet Kishor <[hidden email]>

On Jul 28, 2012, at 7:33 AM, Barry Rowlingson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do you think an atlas of beautiful maps produced with open-source
> technology (software and data) could be made? Here's what I was
> thinking:
> ..

Great idea, but a physical book in today's day and age? Perhaps... That said, what about

http://www.radicalcartography.net
http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showforum=14

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Angelos Tzotsos
Very good idea.
It would be also interesting if map creation instructions on the book could be demonstrated using OSGeoLive and the tools provided in it. This way the Live DVD could be distributed with the book (and vise versa).

Thoughts?

Angelos

On 07/28/2012 03:07 PM, Mark Lucas wrote:
[...]

Remote Sensing Laboratory
National Technical University of Athens
http://users.ntua.gr/tzotsos

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Barry Rowlingson

 thanks for all the comments in the last 24 hours or so. Here's
comments on them:

> How to deal with the data property and rights, ragrding both printing or spreading on the Web ?

 We'd have to get permission from the authors, but that shouldn't be a
problem. I recently edited a conference proceedings for a hundred or
so authors. Everyone just has to tick a box or email their consent and
state they have permission to give their consent.

> May be such an initiative should accept maps using OpenData or OSM only ?

 This might be over-restrictive. I wouldn't be against seeing "XYZ
data (c) Megacorp Inc - used with permission" on a figure if it has
been created with open-source tools or also contains some open data.

>Also, some companies would be willing to help underwrite production costs in exchange for some small ads on the back pages, if we wanted to go that way.

 Nice idea, but initial production costs are zero with
publish-on-demand - its just the time of the editor.

> Great idea, but a physical book in today's day and age? Perhaps... That said, what about

 Haha! Sadly there are still geography departments who do 'GIS' and
haven't gone all two-point-oh neogeo yet. They still have big glossy
books of maps. Of course if nobody wants a physical copy then we don't
waste money on print runs with print-on-demand. We can probably make a
nice web gallery of low-res versions somewhere too.

> http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showforum=14

 That looks like an ideal site to look for contributions. Are you
volunteering to advertise for us on there? :)

 I reckon I'd do the book in LaTeX purely so the typography can match
the cartography. The aforementioned conference proceedings was done by
converting all the submitted Word documents into PDFs, and then
including them in LaTeX so all the other matter (contents, indices
etc) looked better than the papers :)

Okay, next steps - can I start a page on the OSgeo wiki? What do I
need to get an official OSgeo stamp of approval and use the logo?

Barry

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Arnulf Christl
Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.

I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If there is interest...

Cheers,
Arnulf

--
Arnulf Christl (aka Seven)
http://arnulf.us

> [...]

> > sticking my hand up to do the work for this, my concern is purely
> > whether we'd get enough entries. I'd like the bar to be quite high.
> > Most of the work is going to be done by the mappers themselves.
> >
> > Shoot.
> >
> > Barry
> >
> > --
> > blog: http://geospaced.blogspot.com/
> > web: http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings
> > web: http://www.rowlingson.com/
> > twitter: http://twitter.com/geospacedman
> > pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spacedman

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Michael Gerlek
> >Also, some companies would be willing to help underwrite production costs in exchange for some small ads on the back pages, if we
> wanted to go that way.
>
>  Nice idea, but initial production costs are zero with
> publish-on-demand - its just the time of the editor.

Ah, but you're not thinking big enough :-)

We little people might pay for our own copies, sure, but I'd like to have the foundation have a stack of copies of this book: to give to our sponsors, to use as (high-end) marketing material for trade-shows, ...

-mpg

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Dimitris Kotzinos
Dear all,

I would like to second Arnulf's suggestions for the committee and the
white paper.
Slight amendment : let's name it Open Geospatial Data Committee.
I'd be happy to participate.

Best,

Dimitris

Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.

I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If
there is interest...

Cheers,
Arnulf

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Simon Cropper-2
On 30/07/12 02:19, [hidden email] wrote:

> Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.
>
> I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
> learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
> Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
> defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If
> there is interest...
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> --
> Arnulf Christl (aka Seven)
> http://arnulf.us

Hi All,

I think a map book is a great way to showcase fosGIS. I also remember
the ESRI map book that came with Arcview. Although little help in
understanding how the maps were produced it did give you a sense of what
could be achieved using the package.

I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless
of course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has
come about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various
packages.

Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the
package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is
not representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS
package but rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

george-silva
The FOSSGIS Brasil magazine (www.fossgisbr.com.br) showcases a open-source produced map each edition.

It's hard to get a quality map, because I think, many people get the chills to send their work to us.

You'll need some convincing, but it's a great idea.

Cheers

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 9:49 PM, Simon Cropper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless of course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has come about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various packages.

Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is not representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS package but rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

   Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides

George R. C. Silva

Desenvolvimento em GIS
http://geoprocessamento.net
http://blog.geoprocessamento.net

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Andrew Turner
On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dimitris Kotzinos <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I would like to second Arnulf's suggestions for the committee and the white
> paper.
> Slight amendment : let's name it Open Geospatial Data Committee.
> I'd be happy to participate.

+1 on an Open Geospatial Data Committee. Count me in as well.

Andrew

> Best,
>
> Dimitris

> Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.
>
> I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
> learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
> Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
> defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If there is
> interest...
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf

Andrew Turner
t: @ajturner
b: http://highearthorbit.com
m: 248.982.3609

On 30/07/12 11:43, Andrew Turner wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dimitris Kotzinos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to second Arnulf's suggestions for the committee and the white
>> paper.
>> Slight amendment : let's name it Open Geospatial Data Committee.
>> I'd be happy to participate.
>
> +1 on an Open Geospatial Data Committee. Count me in as well.
>
> Andrew
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Dimitris

>> Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.
>>
>> I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
>> learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
>> Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
>> defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If there is
>> interest...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Arnulf

+1 I believe in open data and would be very interested being involved in
clarifying the definitions and to contribute to any discussions centered
around licensing.

On Jul 29, 2012, at 9:43 PM, Andrew Turner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dimitris Kotzinos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to second Arnulf's suggestions for the committee and the white
>> paper.
>> Slight amendment : let's name it Open Geospatial Data Committee.
>> I'd be happy to participate.
>
> +1 on an Open Geospatial Data Committee. Count me in as well.

I am with y'all on that.

--
Puneet Kishor

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Ravi Kumar-2
+1
Great possibilities for Public-participatory data.

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Dimitris Kotzinos <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to second Arnulf's suggestions for the committee and the white
>> paper.
>> Slight amendment : let's name it Open Geospatial Data Committee.
>> I'd be happy to participate.
>
> +1 on an Open Geospatial Data Committee. Count me in as well.
>
> Andrew
>

>> Best,
>>
>> Dimitris

>> Really good idea, and great to see so many interested.
>>
>> I offer to act as data licensing advisor / clearinghouse and add what we
>> learn from the process to the OSGeo Wiki. Step one of my planned Public
>> Geospatial Data Committee revival. Step two will be an OSGeo White Paper
>> defining Open Data, VGI, Crowdsourced and so on geospatial data. If there is
>> interest...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Arnulf

+1 I believe in open data and would be very interested being involved in
clarifying the definitions and to contribute to any discussions centered
around licensing.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides

Re: Open Source Geospatial Atlas

Barry Rowlingson
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:49 AM, Simon Cropper
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think it important however that people *do not* use Inkscape, unless
> of course it is being put up as an fosGIS package. Using Inkscape has
> come about due to the inherent deficiencies in map production in various
> packages.
>
> Any maps produced for such a book need to be produced solely using the
> package they are meant to be showcasing. Otherwise the resulting map is
> not representative of what can be produced using a particular GIS
> package but rather the artistic skill of the cartographer!

[ Can the people discussing Arnulf's public geospatial data committee
stuff please change their subject line and start a new thread? thx ]

 Hi Simon,

   if I was worried about having too many maps for the atlas then I'd
consider putting more restrictions on the entries. However my fear is
having too few. Plus it is indeed partly intended to show artistic
skill and as long as the work is substantially created using
open-source software then I wouldn't reject it.

 Aspects of commercial cartography are still done outside of
commercial GIS - eg by loading Windows Metafiles from a GIS into Adobe
Illustrator - and I see no reason why that workflow can't be allowed
for Open Source Cartography. I don't think Open Source GIS needs to be
Open Source GIS Plus Desktop Publishing.

 Also, we get to highlight integration between open source projects
that is facilitated by Open Standards, and those standards are going
beyond spatial standards (such as using SVG to go between Qgis and
Inkscape).

Barry
123