Open Geoscience Budget 2020 timeline / EGU Townhall

Open Geoscience Budget 2020 timeline / EGU Townhall

Peter Löwe
Dear list,

it's the time of the year again when we have to decide about the budget request for the coming year.
I have set up a wiki page with likely budget items (copied from the 2019 budget) in the wiki: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Open_Geoscience_Committee/budget_2020

I propose that we aim for a finalized budget by Friday, December 20th.

Regarding the item "EGU OSGeo event" I would like to propose a change from past practice:
Until now, the "EGU OSGeo event" was a "Townhall" evening event at the annual European Geoscience Union (EGU) general assembly, which is held every Spring in Vienna, Austria and draws about 16.000 researchers). OSGeo Townhall events have been conducted for the last five years, starting in 2014 (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2014). Since then, the number of topically related Townhall events held by other groups, such as the Research Software Engineers has grown significantly (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/EGU_Townhall_2019#Lessons_learned).

To avoid unnecessary competition among the Townhall events for participants I propose to let the OSGeo presence at EGU evolve into a topical lunch event (aka the OSGeo "free" lunch). The catering costs for a lunch event will be in the same range as the catering costs for a Townhall event. Such lunch events have already been successfully conducted by other groups in the past, for example by the data journal editors within EGU.

Please give me your thoughts about this proposal and the budget timeline.

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Report for OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2020

Peter Löwe
Dear Open Geoscience list,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2020 is scheduled for September 10 as a virtual meeting.

Details here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2020

Activities by the Open Geoscience Committee can be presented as part of the AGM presentation (slide 37 -> outdated content from AGM 2019 as a placeholder)

Due to the pandemic, the annual Open Geoscience Townhall event at EGU 2020 could not take place (as EGU was turned into a virtual event).

However, members of the open geoscience community participated in the EGU Data Help Desk (a weekly virtual event).

Are there any other events, like workshops or reach out activities, that should be mentioned at the AGM ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: Report for OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2020

Massimiliano Cannata
Dear Peter,
thanks for the work.
I'm not aware of additional work....

Maxi

Il giorno mar 1 set 2020 alle ore 14:56 Peter Löwe <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
Dear Open Geoscience list,

the OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2020 is scheduled for September 10 as a virtual meeting.

Details here: https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Annual_General_Meeting_2020

Activities by the Open Geoscience Committee can be presented as part of the AGM presentation (slide 37 -> outdated content from AGM 2019 as a placeholder)

Due to the pandemic, the annual Open Geoscience Townhall event at EGU 2020 could not take place (as EGU was turned into a virtual event).

However, members of the open geoscience community participated in the EGU Data Help Desk (a weekly virtual event).

Are there any other events, like workshops or reach out activities, that should be mentioned at the AGM ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

This message was scanned by SUPSI mail-scanner and is believed to be clean.

--
Massimiliano Cannata

Responsabile settore Geomatica

Istituto scienze della Terra

Campus Trevano, CH - 6952 Canobbio

Tel. +41 (0)58 666 62 14

Fax +41 (0)58 666 62 09

[hidden email]

www.supsi.ch/ist

Open Geoscience Webpage Update: Volunteers ?

Peter Löwe
Dear list,

the current open geoscience website (https://www.osgeo.org/initiatives/open-geoscience/) needs to updated.
I'm having problems with CMS. Is anybody able to lend a hand in the next days ?

Best,
Peter

<[hidden email]>

Re: Report for OSGeo Annual General Meeting 2020

ldesousa
Hi Peter,

I am not aware of any additional activities, everything has been mothballed with Covid. Most likely I will not be able to attend the AGM. Thank you for keeping this group alive.

Regards.

--
Luís Moreira de Sousa
Pastoor Bruggemanlaan 21