On-the-fly hillshade with Mapserver and gdaldem

On-the-fly hillshade with Mapserver and gdaldem

jratike80

Hi,

Could it be possible to generate multidirectional hillshade on-the-fly for example by running gdaldem http://www.gdal.org/gdaldem.html in the background?

-Jukka Rahkonen-

Re: On-the-fly hillshade with Mapserver and gdaldem

Even Rouault-2

On lundi 11 septembre 2017 10:14:13 CEST Rahkonen Jukka (MML) wrote:

> Hi,

> Could it be possible to generate multidirectional hillshade on-the-fly for

> example by running gdaldem http://www.gdal.org/gdaldem.html in the

> background?

Would require changes to MapServer. Either creating a CONNECTION HILLSHADE (ala CONTOUR), or something more generic that would enable to run an arbitrary executable with options

Another way of doing it with GDAL 2.2 is to use VRT with pixel functions in Python:

http://www.gdal.org/gdal_vrttut.html#gdal_vrttut_derived_python

There's actually one example to do (single direction) hillshading.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com

Re: On-the-fly hillshade with Mapserver and gdaldem

jmckenna
Administrator
This is exactly what the purpose of the ZOO-Project (WPS standard) is
(http://zoo-project.org/), and in fact there is already an add-on
ZOO-Project package available for MS4W (http://ms4w.com/download.html);
however the GDAL/OGR services need to be added to MS4W, which I have
created a ticket for you to follow along its progress at:
http://www.ms4w.com/trac/ticket/133

Currently the MS4W ZOO-Project package supports PHP and MapServer only;
the GDAL/OGR services will be added shortly.  (probably the next MS4W
release will contain these in the base MS4W, not as an add-on)  There is
also an existing ticket for a Python service, which will come in MS4W 4.x

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna
http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/