Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

nicklas
Hello

I just noticed that the list of case studies of PostgGIS at the
PostgreSQL page is pointing to an outdated refracion page.

PostgreSQL page with the link (after PostGIS mentioned)
http://www.postgresql.org/about/users/

the page it is pointing to
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/casestudies/

I also see that the list at postgis.net is quite poor.

Should we request at users list what authorities and bigger companies
that is using PostGIS now? And then ask PostgreSQL to point to that new
and shiny list.

Regards
Nicklas Avén

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

Sandro Santilli-2
On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 10:43:50AM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> Should we request at users list what authorities and bigger companies
> that is using PostGIS now? And then ask PostgreSQL to point to that new
> and shiny list.

Great idea, do you want to start the dances ?

--strk;

On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 12:55 +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 10:43:50AM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:
>
> > Should we request at users list what authorities and bigger companies
> > that is using PostGIS now? And then ask PostgreSQL to point to that new
> > and shiny list.
>
> Great idea, do you want to start the dances ?

Do you mean the dance to start list users or to send a request to users
list.

I can do both :-)

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:20:11PM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 12:55 +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 10:43:50AM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:
> >
> > > Should we request at users list what authorities and bigger companies
> > > that is using PostGIS now? And then ask PostgreSQL to point to that new
> > > and shiny list.
> >
> > Great idea, do you want to start the dances ?
> >

> Do you mean the dance to start list users or to send a request to users
> list.
>
> I can do both :-)

Great, both !
You know the postgis.net website is under SVN, right ?

--strk;

On Wed, 2016-03-09 at 13:26 +0100, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:20:11PM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> > > Great idea, do you want to start the dances ?
> > >

> > Do you mean the dance to start list users or to send a request to users
> > list.
> >
> > I can do both :-)
>
> Great, both !
> You know the postgis.net website is under SVN, right ?

Didn't know, but I will try to find out.
So I try to make some sort of list there, and send a request to users.

They will have to respond through the list and we/I put it in place.

Will do it this evening.

On Wed, Mar 09, 2016 at 01:29:22PM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> Didn't know, but I will try to find out.

svn checkout https://svn.osgeo.org/postgis/web
(I think we should really move this to git/osgeo)

> So I try to make some sort of list there, and send a request to users.
>
> They will have to respond through the list and we/I put it in place.
>
> Will do it this evening.

Excellent, thank you !

--strk;

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

nicklas
Hello

I have copy pasted the text from the two case studies that was posted to
the users list into web pages.

Should I just commit or should anyone review? I thought I could just put
the pages online without linking to the front page, but this are so
automatic nowadays so it wasn't possible I guess :-)

Btw, I had some trouble to get piecrust working since all doc and links
now is to version 2 (even if I think version 2 is just in beta)
I installed the advertised version and it of course didn't work since we
are running some 1.x version.

Thanks
Nicklas

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:13:56PM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> I have copy pasted the text from the two case studies that was posted to
> the users list into web pages.
>
> Should I just commit or should anyone review?

Ah, good question. It isn't easy to review in a branch for SVN.
Regina, Paul... how about putting this website under git/trac @osgeo ?
I can set up the git repo pretty quickly :)

--strk;

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

Regina Obe
I'm indifferent.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:13:56PM +0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> I have copy pasted the text from the two case studies that was posted
> to the users list into web pages.
>
> Should I just commit or should anyone review?

Ah, good question. It isn't easy to review in a branch for SVN.
Regina, Paul... how about putting this website under git/trac @osgeo ?
I can set up the git repo pretty quickly :)

--strk;

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

nicklas

I think I will just commit it to the web page if no one objects. It is just copy paste from the 2 posts on users list. I put the senders of the stories as authers. I will also try to get some more stories about PostGIS usage.

Paul, where is the CartoDB story?

And Boundless ought to write something.
Soon I hope to have a story to tell myself. And I hope that will also lead to some more activity from my side :-)

Maybe we could also have some more personal stories. Letting everyone that feel that they are part of the PostGIS project present themselfs?

I don't know, but I think the PostGIS project get too little credit nowadays. Look at the stars at github. "Small" javascript libraries gets thousands and PostGIS some hundred.

And I often think that there is people that get too little attention for their very big effort. I do of course especially think about Regina who is the name behind when people talks about the very helpful PostGIS community. Both in answering questions and in making things "just work" by testing from all angels and making many of the fixes.  And of course by getting the job done to write a bunch of very valuable books.

Thanks
Nicklas

Skickat från min Sony Xperia™-smartphone

---- Regina Obe skrev ----

I'm indifferent.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:13:56PM <a href="tel:+0100">+0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> I have copy pasted the text from the two case studies that was posted
> to the users list into web pages.
>
> Should I just commit or should anyone review?

Ah, good question. It isn't easy to review in a branch for SVN.
Regina, Paul... how about putting this website under git/trac @osgeo ?
I can set up the git repo pretty quickly :)

--strk;

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

Regina Obe

Nicklas,

I'm blushing.  Glad to see some people appreciate my work.

I'm really also happy you are doing this and bringing this issue up, because I forget how much weight (especially government agencies) put on case studies.  PostGIS website section is pretty dated and miniscule.

Getting back to case studies,   I have no issue with you posting them.  We should also garner some big names besides CartoDb that use PostGIS.

I updated my case studies list:

http://www.postgis.us/page_case_studies

I'm not sure if FourSquare still uses PostGIS.  At the time I checked they were and it was on their about page, but that page has since become very generic.

I can check with my Facebook contact (that we did a day of PostGIS training for), to verify if Instagram still uses PostGIS and if it has spread elsewhere in Facebook and see if they'd be willing to write up something about their use of it if they are still using it.

Socrata might be using PostGIS.  I assume they are using PostgreSQL garnering from this tech article https://www.socrata.com/developer-blog-article/streaming-geospatial-processing-in-the-socrata-platform/ , but that doesn't necessarily mean PostGIS as well.

As I recall I did see a  talk in PgConfUS (or was it FOSS4G NA) of FAA (Federal Aviation) discussing their use of PostGIS.

Thanks,

Regina

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 11:13:56PM <a href="tel:+0100">+0100, Nicklas Avén wrote:

> I have copy pasted the text from the two case studies that was posted
> to the users list into web pages.
>
> Should I just commit or should anyone review?

Ah, good question. It isn't easy to review in a branch for SVN.
Regina, Paul... how about putting this website under git/trac @osgeo ?
I can set up the git repo pretty quickly :)

--strk;

Re: Old PostGIS address still listed at PostgreSQL webpage

nicklas

Do you think I can add this list without asking them?
I thought the best way was to let people tell their own story ...

But I think it is a shame that we don't mention organisations that we
know use PostGIS, so I don't know ...

It would be cool to list for instance UN departments that uses PostGIS.
At least one mention here
http://2015.foss4g.org/united-nations-special-session/

Thanks

Nicklas

On Sun, 2016-03-20 at 21:47 -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> Nicklas,
>

> I'm blushing.  Glad to see some people appreciate my work.
>

> I'm really also happy you are doing this and bringing this issue up,
> because I forget how much weight (especially government agencies) put
> on case studies.  PostGIS website section is pretty dated and
> miniscule.
>

> Getting back to case studies,   I have no issue with you posting them.
> We should also garner some big names besides CartoDb that use PostGIS.
>

> I updated my case studies list:
>

> http://www.postgis.us/page_case_studies
>

> I'm not sure if FourSquare still uses PostGIS.  At the time I checked
> they were and it was on their about page, but that page has since
> become very generic.
>

> I can check with my Facebook contact (that we did a day of PostGIS
> training for), to verify if Instagram still uses PostGIS and if it has
> spread elsewhere in Facebook and see if they'd be willing to write up
> something about their use of it if they are still using it.
>

> Socrata might be using PostGIS.  I assume they are using PostgreSQL
> garnering from this tech article
> https://www.socrata.com/developer-blog-article/streaming-geospatial-processing-in-the-socrata-platform/ , but that doesn't necessarily mean PostGIS as well.
>

> As I recall I did see a  talk in PgConfUS (or was it FOSS4G NA) of FAA
> (Federal Aviation) discussing their use of PostGIS.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Regina

I think for a formal site like postgis.net  it's better to have approved case studies.

We should probably contact someone at those places as that's more believable anyway.
I've started putting out personal  emails to companies I know that use PostGIS  to see if I can get some approved case studies from them.

Would help if others did the same.

Thanks,
Regina

Do you think I can add this list without asking them?
I thought the best way was to let people tell their own story ...

But I think it is a shame that we don't mention organisations that we know use PostGIS, so I don't know ...

It would be cool to list for instance UN departments that uses PostGIS.
At least one mention here
http://2015.foss4g.org/united-nations-special-session/

Thanks

Nicklas

On Sun, 2016-03-20 at 21:47 -0400, Regina Obe wrote:

> Nicklas,
>

> I'm blushing.  Glad to see some people appreciate my work.
>

> I'm really also happy you are doing this and bringing this issue up,
> because I forget how much weight (especially government agencies) put
> on case studies.  PostGIS website section is pretty dated and
> miniscule.
>

> Getting back to case studies,   I have no issue with you posting them.
> We should also garner some big names besides CartoDb that use PostGIS.
>

> I updated my case studies list:
>

> http://www.postgis.us/page_case_studies
>

> I'm not sure if FourSquare still uses PostGIS.  At the time I checked
> they were and it was on their about page, but that page has since
> become very generic.
>

> I can check with my Facebook contact (that we did a day of PostGIS
> training for), to verify if Instagram still uses PostGIS and if it has
> spread elsewhere in Facebook and see if they'd be willing to write up
> something about their use of it if they are still using it.
>

> Socrata might be using PostGIS.  I assume they are using PostgreSQL
> garnering from this tech article
> https://www.socrata.com/developer-blog-article/streaming-geospatial-processing-in-the-socrata-platform/ , but that doesn't necessarily mean PostGIS as well.
>

> As I recall I did see a  talk in PgConfUS (or was it FOSS4G NA) of FAA
> (Federal Aviation) discussing their use of PostGIS.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Regina

Related comment.  For the two case studies you added, would be good to also have a logo with those and hyperlink the name to their website like the other older case studies we have.

Also thinking about this I think it should be okay to link to other case studies people have done on their site if we can't find a contact to get a case study to list directly on PostGIS site.

Here is one recent example that looks good where they mention use of PostGIS and QGIS - https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2016/03/using-open-source-gis-in-the-public-sector/

Thanks,
Regina