OSgeo travel grant program support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OSgeo travel grant program support

adam steer-2
Hi conference team

The committee organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania would like to operate a travel grant program - aimed at assisting regional participants (for example, from pacific islands - or from remote Australian communities).

This e-mail is part 1 of the OSgeo TGP procedure (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_2018). I believe our conference co-chairs (John and Alex, in cc) are invited to the August OSgeo board meeting - so I thought it timely to raise our intention to request TGP assistance. We are also just now in a position to start planning - we feel we have enough sponsorship commitment to start.

We will co-fund a TGP using sponsorship funds we’ve generated; and in general align the TGP with previous programs run for OSgeo events.

One major issue is apparent - the OSgeo TGP recommendations suggest that we would not be able to give funding to attendees from Australia. We (the conference committee) request discretion to fund Australian attendees where we see fit. Why?

Australia’s wealth is highly concentrated in the south-eastern seaboard (and one city centre in the west). Being broadly unable to fund Australians would mean potentially excluding remote (in particular indigenous) attendees. We hope that sits OK with the OSgeo board/general principles of operation - and we will most definitely keep an audit trail justifying any travel grant expenditure.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Trisha Moriarty (also in cc) will also be involved in operating the TGP; as the diversity and inclusion lead for the committee.

Regards

Adam
(FOSS4G SotM Oceania sponsorship lead)

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSgeo travel grant program support

Suchith Anand
Hi Adam, FOSS4G SotM Oceania LOC,

Thank you for the excellent information on Travel grant program FOSS4G SotM Oceania . 

One of the biggest advantage of OSGeo organising local events is the opportunity to reaching out to the local communities.  Hence  I request the LOC to please ensure that  funding is given  to deserving  attendees from host country Australia. In my humble opinion, there is no reason to exclude deserving candidates from host country in the Travel Grant Program.  This travel program will be a great benefit for students from   lower income backgrounds,  indigenous communities etc in the host country to participate and benefit. They can then go and share their knowledge and ideas in their communities.

I also applaud the LOC aim to assisting regional participants from Pacific Islands  through this program. It will greatly help colleagues from smaller countries in the region to participate and learn. 

Thank you for your work on this.

Best wishes,

Suchith



From: Conference_dev <[hidden email]> on behalf of adam steer <[hidden email]>
Sent: 11 July 2018 09:21
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Trisha Moriarty
Subject: [OSGeo-Conf] OSgeo travel grant program support
 
Hi conference team

The committee organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania would like to operate a travel grant program - aimed at assisting regional participants (for example, from pacific islands - or from remote Australian communities).

This e-mail is part 1 of the OSgeo TGP procedure (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_2018). I believe our conference co-chairs (John and Alex, in cc) are invited to the August OSgeo board meeting - so I thought it timely to raise our intention to request TGP assistance. We are also just now in a position to start planning - we feel we have enough sponsorship commitment to start.


We will co-fund a TGP using sponsorship funds we’ve generated; and in general align the TGP with previous programs run for OSgeo events.

One major issue is apparent - the OSgeo TGP recommendations suggest that we would not be able to give funding to attendees from Australia. We (the conference committee) request discretion to fund Australian attendees where we see fit. Why?

Australia’s wealth is highly concentrated in the south-eastern seaboard (and one city centre in the west). Being broadly unable to fund Australians would mean potentially excluding remote (in particular indigenous) attendees. We hope that sits OK with the OSgeo board/general principles of operation - and we will most definitely keep an audit trail justifying any travel grant expenditure.

Looking forward to hearing back from you. Trisha Moriarty (also in cc) will also be involved in operating the TGP; as the diversity and inclusion lead for the committee.

Regards

Adam
(FOSS4G SotM Oceania sponsorship lead)

This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender and delete the email and
attachment. 

Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not
necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham. Email
communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored 
where permitted by law.




_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSgeo travel grant program support

Eli Adam
In reply to this post by adam steer-2
Hi Adam,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:21 AM, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi conference team
>
> The committee organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania would like to operate a travel
> grant program - aimed at assisting regional participants (for example, from
> pacific islands - or from remote Australian communities).

That's great that FOSS4G SotM Oceania wants to operate a TGP program!

>
> This e-mail is part 1 of the OSgeo TGP procedure
> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_2018). I believe

That 2018 page is specific to the international 2018 FOSS4G in Dar es
Salaam.  This page,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook,
may provide more general information to the TGP.


> our conference co-chairs (John and Alex, in cc) are invited to the August
> OSgeo board meeting - so I thought it timely to raise our intention to
> request TGP assistance. We are also just now in a position to start planning
> - we feel we have enough sponsorship commitment to start.
>
> We will co-fund a TGP using sponsorship funds we’ve generated; and in
> general align the TGP with previous programs run for OSgeo events.

Good to have matching funds, this is part of the idea.  Also, decide
whether TGP recipients will receive complimentary registration.

>
> One major issue is apparent - the OSgeo TGP recommendations suggest that we
> would not be able to give funding to attendees from Australia. We (the
> conference committee) request discretion to fund Australian attendees where
> we see fit. Why?

This is a misunderstanding based on using the page specific to the
international 2018 FOSS4G event.  There is no such general
restriction.  You will need to decide on criteria/guidelines of some
sort though.

Running a TGP takes a fair amount of work which will mostly be done by
the LOC.  The Conference Committee can provide some guidance,
potentially some budget allocation, and some examples.  I think that
you also have to get a Conference Committee member to agree to join
the LOC in running the TGP.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Australia’s wealth is highly concentrated in the south-eastern seaboard (and
> one city centre in the west). Being broadly unable to fund Australians would
> mean potentially excluding remote (in particular indigenous) attendees. We
> hope that sits OK with the OSgeo board/general principles of operation - and
> we will most definitely keep an audit trail justifying any travel grant
> expenditure.
>
> Looking forward to hearing back from you. Trisha Moriarty (also in cc) will
> also be involved in operating the TGP; as the diversity and inclusion lead
> for the committee.
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
> (FOSS4G SotM Oceania sponsorship lead)
> --
> Dr. Adam Steer
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
> +61 427 091 712
> skype: adam.d.steer
> tweet: @adamdsteer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OSgeo travel grant program support

adam steer-2
Hi Eli, Suchith, all

Thanks for your support - it means a lot, and we really hope we can live up to our own (and your) expectations!

...and Eli in particular, thanks for pointing us to the correct page to start from :D

I think we have enough motivation in the LOC to undertake the work - as a start I’ll go to the cookbook and ensure that we’re working from that.

We should have a dedicated person stepping up to work with the OSgeo conference committee by the time the next board meeting turns up.

Cheers

Adam



On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 at 01:42, Eli Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adam,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 1:21 AM, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi conference team
>
> The committee organising FOSS4G SotM Oceania would like to operate a travel
> grant program - aimed at assisting regional participants (for example, from
> pacific islands - or from remote Australian communities).

That's great that FOSS4G SotM Oceania wants to operate a TGP program!

>
> This e-mail is part 1 of the OSgeo TGP procedure
> (https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_2018). I believe

That 2018 page is specific to the international 2018 FOSS4G in Dar es
Salaam.  This page,
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/FOSS4G_Travel_Grant_Programme_Cookbook,
may provide more general information to the TGP.


> our conference co-chairs (John and Alex, in cc) are invited to the August
> OSgeo board meeting - so I thought it timely to raise our intention to
> request TGP assistance. We are also just now in a position to start planning
> - we feel we have enough sponsorship commitment to start.
>
> We will co-fund a TGP using sponsorship funds we’ve generated; and in
> general align the TGP with previous programs run for OSgeo events.

Good to have matching funds, this is part of the idea.  Also, decide
whether TGP recipients will receive complimentary registration.

>
> One major issue is apparent - the OSgeo TGP recommendations suggest that we
> would not be able to give funding to attendees from Australia. We (the
> conference committee) request discretion to fund Australian attendees where
> we see fit. Why?

This is a misunderstanding based on using the page specific to the
international 2018 FOSS4G event.  There is no such general
restriction.  You will need to decide on criteria/guidelines of some
sort though.

Running a TGP takes a fair amount of work which will mostly be done by
the LOC.  The Conference Committee can provide some guidance,
potentially some budget allocation, and some examples.  I think that
you also have to get a Conference Committee member to agree to join
the LOC in running the TGP.

Best regards, Eli

>
> Australia’s wealth is highly concentrated in the south-eastern seaboard (and
> one city centre in the west). Being broadly unable to fund Australians would
> mean potentially excluding remote (in particular indigenous) attendees. We
> hope that sits OK with the OSgeo board/general principles of operation - and
> we will most definitely keep an audit trail justifying any travel grant
> expenditure.
>
> Looking forward to hearing back from you. Trisha Moriarty (also in cc) will
> also be involved in operating the TGP; as the diversity and inclusion lead
> for the committee.
>
> Regards
>
> Adam
> (FOSS4G SotM Oceania sponsorship lead)
> --
> Dr. Adam Steer
> https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Adam_Steer
> http://au.linkedin.com/in/adamsteer
> http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0046-7236
> +61 427 091 712
> skype: adam.d.steer
> tweet: @adamdsteer
>
> _______________________________________________
> Conference_dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev


--

_______________________________________________
Conference_dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/conference_dev