OSUOSL mirror link on download page

Regina Obe

We never got around to load balancing our download.osgeo.org with the osuosl ftp one.

Part of me is thinking maybe it’s not worth it to do so especially since the osuosl one is not real time – could lag by hours.

So instead, I just put the link to their mirror on our download page.

https://download.osgeo.org/  in cases where we may need extra bandwidth e.g. QGIS downloads.

the other benefit to theirs is it does support the ftp protocol in addition to http.

Let me know if anyone has issues with this change.

Thanks,

Regina

Re: OSUOSL mirror link on download page

Alex Mandel-2
On 11/29/19 7:48 AM, Regina Obe wrote:

> We never got around to load balancing our download.osgeo.org with the osuosl
> ftp one.
>
> Part of me is thinking maybe it's not worth it to do so especially since the
> osuosl one is not real time - could lag by hours.
>

> So instead, I just put the link to their mirror on our download page.
>

> https://download.osgeo.org/  in cases where we may need extra bandwidth e.g.
> QGIS downloads.
>

> the other benefit to theirs is it does support the ftp protocol in addition
> to http.
>

> Let me know if anyone has issues with this change.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Regina

I think we should still work towards load balancing. The OSUOSL service
has a more robust bandwidth within their rack networking. I'm not as
worried about the time delay, on big releases this will help reduce the
load on the primary machine, which will keep the other services
uninterrupted. It's really about public facing downloads, for internal
builds etc projects should still just rely on the main server. Normal
users will not know to click the alternate (not QGIS.org can do their
load balancing on their server if we tell them the other server address).

No issue, with mentioning it on the pages, so that people know an
alternate link is available.

Thanks,
Alex