OSSIM GSoC proposal

Martina Di Rita
Dear all,

for the last year of my PhD, I'd like to apply again to the GSoC program with an OSSIM project.

My idea concerns the improvement and the implementation of new functionalities for the OSSIM plug-in, that I developed in the last two years in the framework of the 2014 and 2015 Google Summer of Code programs.

I was thinking, first of all, to finalize and consolidate all the work done so far, specifically, to:
- complete the workflow for generating DSMs from SAR images
- improve the automatization of the pyramidal approach implemented for DSM generation

After that, the main aim would be to implement a processing tool able to merge various DSMs resulting from different pairs or triplets, acquired with different sensors or in different period in times. This is particular useful for SAR images for which usually you've got a stack of ascending and descending images over the same area (so you see the same objects from a very different views and under different conditions).

In particular, the idea is to create a new function able to generate a mask for exploiting only the best areas in the DSMs merging phase. Specifically, in SAR images lay-over and fore-shortening areas would be automatically detected in the input images; a mask can hence be generated and applied to the corresponding DSM in order to cross out those pixels not "good" and replace them, in the merging phase, with pixels more reliable coming from other DSMs. This merging and masking processing could further improve the DSMs' accuracy.

Moreover, if I have time, I would implement also a validation phase for the generated DSMs: if the user, besides raw images, do supply Lidar data, it would be possible to compute some statistical parameters representing the DSM accuracy. In general this is a good way to evaluate the goodness of the processing followed.

I would be glad to participate, for my last year as student, in the GSoC program with an OSSIM proposal and try to create a complete photogrammetric OSSIM tool for automatic DSMs generation using multi-view optical and SAR images.

If you have any doubts, suggestions or improvements for my proposal feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Martina

--
Martina Di Rita, PhD Student
Geodesy and Geomatics Division

Phone <a href="tel:%2B%2B39%200644585087" value="+390644585087" target="_blank">++39 0644585087
E-mail [hidden email]