OSM data gaps

JoeLemonnier
I've download the OSM data from Vector>open street map> download data. Then imported the topology from xml then exported to Spatialite specifying poly lines. When do this for the span of lower Manhattan in New York City, I get a beautiful set of map data that is unfortunately missing quite a few major streets. Exporting as polygons doesn't omit those streets from the map but I need the center lines. Importing the .osm file directly gives the same results of missing  streets. I've tried 4 times with same results.

What am I doing wrong

Sent from iPhone

Sent from iPhone

Re: OSM data gaps

Anita Graser
Hi Joe,

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 10:55 PM, JOE LEMONNIER <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've download the OSM data from Vector>open street map> download data. Then imported the topology from xml then exported to Spatialite specifying poly lines. When do this for the span of lower Manhattan in New York City, I get a beautiful set of map data that is unfortunately missing quite a few major streets.

​I haven't had much luck with that OSM download tool either but I found that ogr2ogr does a good job at converting OSM data to Spatialite. I've documented a workflow in http://anitagraser.com/2014/05/31/a-guide-to-googlemaps-like-maps-with-osm-in-qgis/

Best wishes,
Anita​

Re: OSM data gaps

Clifford Snow

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM, JOE LEMONNIER <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've download the OSM data from Vector>open street map> download data. Then imported the topology from xml then exported to Spatialite specifying poly lines. When do this for the span of lower Manhattan in New York City, I get a beautiful set of map data that is unfortunately missing quite a few major streets. Exporting as polygons doesn't omit those streets from the map but I need the center lines. Importing the .osm file directly gives the same results of missing  streets. I've tried 4 times with same results.

I have been successful downloading pbf files from either https://mapzen.com/metro-extracts/ or http://www.geofabrik.de/data/download.html. Mapzen is nice that it gives data for major cities. Then using osm2pgsql to load the data into a postgis database.

Mapzen provides the data in a number of different formats, including geojson which may provide you with a closer match to what you are looking for.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle
OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: OSM data gaps

Andre Joost
Am 08.05.2015 um 22:55 schrieb JOE LEMONNIER:

> I've download the OSM data from Vector>open street map> download
> data. Then imported the topology from xml then exported to Spatialite
> specifying poly lines. When do this for the span of lower Manhattan
> in New York City, I get a beautiful set of map data that is
> unfortunately missing quite a few major streets. Exporting as
> polygons doesn't omit those streets from the map but I need the
> center lines. Importing the .osm file directly gives the same results
> of missing  streets. I've tried 4 times with same results.
>
> What am I doing wrong

I can replicate your error. Maybe the data is just too big and crashes
the importer. Unfortunately, you get no error message.

However, you can still use the downloaded .osm file which is complete.

As Anita suggests, you can use

ogr2ogr -f "SQLite" -dsco SPATIALITE=YES newyork.db ny.osm

or just drag and drop the .osm file into the legend, and select the
lines for importing. This needs quite some time, and you should save the
result to a shapefile for further use. Both methods use the GDAL osm
driver, hence contain the same amount of data (both 53607 lines from my
canvas extent instead of 37602 from the importer).

Using osm2pgsql, I get 59667 lines. Some incomplete multipolygon
relation members are treated differently in GDAL and osm2pgsql.

HTH,
André Joost