OSM analysis question for the GeoForAll community

OSM analysis question for the GeoForAll community

Christopher Tucker
GeoForAll Brainiacs,

Do any of you know whether anyone has ever taken OSM data and used it to calculate the number of km2 of impermeable surface that have been built on Earth?  Different roads are different widths, and I am not sure how reliable such attribute info is in OSM, but it is clear that we could take the number of linear kilometers of road and with some assumptions, calculate how many km2 of impermeable surface has been laid down by humanity.

I would also love to find such a calculation that included all engineered surfaces, such as buildings, parking lots, etc.  But, that sounds hard.

Anyways, has anyone done such calculations?  I could use it for an article I am writing.

Thanks in advance for your collective brainpower!

Chris
703-981-9373

Re: OSM analysis question for the GeoForAll community

Peter Mooney
Hi Chris,

You've probably seen this recent paper which might provide some answers to the questions about roads on a global scale? http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0180698

I haven't seen any published results regarding the total calculation of km2 of these surfaces, globally, in OSM - but others might know if this work exists?

Peter

On Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 8:38 PM, Christopher Tucker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peter!  Will give it a read!  Much appreciated.

Chris

Dr. Christopher K Tucker
Chairman of the Board of Trustees
The MapStory Foundation